PDA

View Full Version : Another good reason to dump M$

jimbob
October 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Found on a computer news website:

" Users will only be able to transfer Vista to another computer once. People who frequently upgrade their machines may need to buy additional licenses. Critics say this will leave computer enthusiasts out in the cold."

Registered Linux User #400396

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
That only supports the theory that u don't own the product you buy...U just pay for the right to use it.

jimbob
October 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
So maybe they should quit dancing around the issue and start calling it a lease instead of a purchase?

That would be a lot more truthful ...

skymt
October 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
So maybe they should quit dancing around the issue and start calling it a lease instead of a purchase?

That would be a lot more truthful ...

People would revolt. Right now, anyway. Microsoft will probably drop that bombshell in around 5 years, when Vista+1 is released. They certainly seem to be working toward it.

meng
October 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm taking these predictions with a large grain of salt. My guess is that the persistent customers will convince the MS flunkies to give them (yet another) activation code.

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Marketing doesn't necessarly evolve around truth

taurus
October 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
This one has nothing to do with General Help so I will move this one over to the Cafe...

DoctorMO
October 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM
It's not a reason to dump microsoft, it's how microsoft may dump you and you'll be forced to go with ubuntu :-D (and I'm happy)

dca
October 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
It won't matter, M$ chalks this up as another mean to curb software piracy. The funny thing, it may help in the US, but overseas... Forget it.

raublekick
October 18th, 2006, 08:53 PM
step 1: call up microsoft support

step 2: do your best Steve Ballmer impression

step 3 (optional): throw a chair

step 4: enjoy your new activation code

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/ballmer_tongue.jpg

justin whitaker
October 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Marketing doesn't necessarly evolve around truth

Good marketing does. :mrgreen:

PrinceArithon
October 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Damn this is the worst news I've heard yet. If this really happens I Will completely remove windows from my system and never look back.

This is why freedom is the most cherished thing we own, and through Linux we have that freedom to rule our own world with our own hands.

Aaron

insane_alien
October 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Yes, good marketing does. but when have you seen good marketing come from MS.

it does exist though. ubuntu has it. ubuntu has everything.

Pelekophori
October 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
The vista license is a retrograde step for legitimate users. But real world experience will depend on how ardently Microsoft choses to implement the potential technical means of enforcing its terms.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061017-8008.html

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I think that Microsoft desrespects all of their clients. Instead of evolving in the direction of treating their clients better, they do it the other way. They always treat their clients even worse, and this fact is just another proof. It's almost like they want to get rid of all their clients =P

justin whitaker
October 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
It's almost like they want to get rid of all their clients =P

All their illegitimate clients. IF they lose a couple of legitimate ones along the way, they do not appear too concerned.

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Imagine u have a son. Imagine u have a laptop in which u work. Imagine ur kid needs a computer for school. U buy one. Now, instead of paying like 200$ and have Vista for both u and ur kid..Now u have to pay 400$. Imagine ur kid does something stupid and u send ur computer to the repair shop and they do what they usually do: format without even looking. Do u have to pay 200$ more? That kinda sucks. Many people want to be legitimate, but c'mon, they gotta encourage clients to be legitimate. What they are doing is supporting legitimate clients to become illegitimate

justin whitaker
October 18th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Imagine u have a son. Imagine u have a laptop in which u work. Imagine ur kid needs a computer for school. U buy one. Now, instead of paying like 200$ and have Vista for both u and ur kid..Now u have to pay 400$. Imagine ur kid does something stupid and u send ur computer to the repair shop and they do what they usually do: format without even looking. Do u have to pay 200$ more? That kinda sucks. Many people want to be legitimate, but c'mon, they gotta encourage clients to be legitimate. What they are doing is supporting legitimate clients to become illegitimate

It's a form of lockdown. They do not want you installing the key on more than one machine, so they give you one transfer. Anything more than that, you need to contact the activation team.

You also have to pass WPA and random validation screenings, otherwise, the system will degrade.

For a legitimate user that never reinstalls, is content with Vista, it won't be an issue will it? For those of us that reinstall XP on a regular basis, we are screwed.

That's where I am at right now: I have 2 legitimate XP keys (one retail box, one Emachines OEM), but they won't activate them because I have reinstalled them too many times. I guess I installed Linux one too many times for Redmond. :mrgreen:

I was offered the same WGA Kit that the pirates are being offered: $100 for a new key and "amnesty". The reps were very nice, even apologetic, I could have escalated it, but really, why bother? I could buy a new OEM edition cheaper, and Kubuntu is really, really nice. (So is Ubuntu, just my wife thinks GNOME is ugly. She has zero issue with KDE :rolleyes:)

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 10:46 PM
It's a form of lockdown

U said it all mate

I would add "mental lockdown" though

jimbob
October 18th, 2006, 10:51 PM
justin: Where can you buy a new OEM edition cheaper than $100. ?

Anonii
October 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM
From the Marketing definition:
"Marketing is the ongoing process of moving people closer to making a decision to purchase, use, follow...or conform to someone else's products, services or values. Simply, if it doesn't facilitate a "sale" then it's not marketing."

I can, actually, she the exact oposite.
Good marketing evolves arround lies, propaganda and brain-washing.
Either you like it, or not :3