PDA

View Full Version : Torrents..

lodravah
October 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Which one would people suggest to use for *.torrents?

BitTornado or Azeurus?

PriceChild
October 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Depends on what you want from a torrent client.

Personally i use Azureus... but i've got a decent system so i'm fine.

There's also a project on the forum you may want to check out: Deluge: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172

Engnome
October 18th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hi my name is Jerry and I'm a bittorrent user. But sometimes I use Azureus. (isn't funny that only drugdealers and software devs have users? :))

DigitalDuality
October 18th, 2006, 05:40 PM
d

Rhapsody
October 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
KTorrent. But I've also used BitTornado and Azureus, so here's my thoughts.

BitTornado was what I used between BitTorrent (Mainline) and Azureus. I found it pretty good, if a bit basic compared to Azureus or KTorrent. The lack of support for DHT or encryption support is something I don't like about it, though they're not really killer issues.

Azureus was my main client on Windows, though trying to use it on Kubuntu resulted in what seemed to be a catastrophic memory leak on a multi-gigabyte torrent, eventually forcing me to shut down the whole PC. Assuming that doesn't happen to you, Azureus has the most features of any BitTorrent client I know of, though it's slow if you use it with a Java Virtual Machine. I heard stuff about compiling it with the GNU Compiler for Java to gain extra speed at the expense of tying it to my CPU architecture, which sounds like a good deal to me. Anyone know more about that?

Anonii
October 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
rtorrent for me!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/Rtorrent.png/800px-Rtorrent.png

Its a fast, and well written command line client. If you are bored to understand the commands of the client (no fancy GUI buttons), you wont like it <: But for me, its better than those resource hungry Java clients. (*cough* *cough* Azureus *cough* *cough*)

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 05:45 PM
uTorrent (install it with wine). It's super light and super efficient =)

skymt
October 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I second rtorrent. My speeds with rtorrent are around 50% faster than Azureus, and (for some bizarre reason) 100% faster than KTorrent.

GeneralZod
October 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
ktorrent, here. 2.0.3 just hit backports yesterday :)

Wallakoala
October 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I don't really use bittorrent that much, but when I do, I use transmission

zachtib
October 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM
There's also a project on the forum you may want to check out: Deluge: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172

no need for my usual <shamelessplug>

before i started working on deluge, i used bittornado, simply because it was lightweight and it got the job done

roderikk
October 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I am using/testing Deluge at the moment. Before that I used Ktorrent. However, I prefer to use gtk apps in my gnome environment and Deluge is the best shot we have at beating uTorrent at the moment (imho...).

GarethMB
October 18th, 2006, 11:40 PM
KDE user, hence, Ktorrent. Great Client

coder_
October 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM
rtorrent.