PDA

View Full Version : The noble Quest: Spreading Ubuntu

Naralas
October 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Has anyone here ever tried to spread ubuntu around? I shipIt ordered like 10 ubuntu and 10 kubuntu CD's recently. I have given two too students in the class I tutor, one to my computer science teacher, and one to a friend of mine who uses a Mac... oh and one to my friends brother. So far, 5 potential Ubuntu users.

Anyone else trying to give Ubuntu to whomever they can?

Oh and if you give it to someone, provide them support until they can use MP3 and MPEG files for gosh sakes, or they WILL abandon it.

Lexam
October 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'm actually considering doing a grass roots at a local coffee shop, just burning a bunch of copies and handing them out to people with laptops or whoever wants one. Give them a bit of information and how to contact me and such.

raul_
October 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM
In my college we give away 170 ubuntu cd's every year to the freshman. that's how i got to know ubuntu actually

PriceChild
October 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
You may want to join a local LUG (linux user group) to see what they're doing in your area.

I just gave a bunch to the local computer recycling project who will hopefully be installing them on all the pcs they sell.

Eversmann
October 18th, 2006, 06:27 PM
All my cds i order are spreaded between pc customers, and friends at university (even for some teachers).

I spread the ubuntu word all that i can ;-)

Saikano
October 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
A friend on mine told me about this place, and I am spreading the word via my DA. ;D I made a cute lil wallpaper to let people know that Ice Weasel and Ubuntu should be checked/used more. :D

(It's a large wallpaper, so be patient! :D )

Ice Weasel Wallpaper (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41598609/)

miceagol
October 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm a computer lab assistant at my university, and in one of the computer labs there's Ubuntu discs for everyone to take, and people are in fact curious. If it's free, people grab. 'em. :mrgreen:

Actually, you reminded me that in the other four computer labs at my faculty there's no Ubuntu discs at the desk, so I'll go order.

But... Where do I order the CD's? :-k

miceagol
October 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
But... Where do I order the CD's? :-k

No problem, guys... Found it. :)
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

But I recon it's best to wait one week to order, as Edgy is soon released? Or does it take time before Edgy is available as printed CD's?

PriceChild
October 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM
But I recon it's best to wait one week to order, as Edgy is soon released? Or does it take time before Edgy is available as printed CD's?Edgy won't be shipped by shipit.