PDA

View Full Version : First the Weasel, now the Dove

WaterWalker
October 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
After the Firefox/IceWeasel-problems Debian now replaced Thunderbird with IceDove. So I guess it will only be a matter of time before Ubuntu follows.

Rhubarb
October 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I hope so! ;)

darkhatter
October 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I hope ubuntu doesnèt follow

sinisterSupreme
October 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM
ice wessel = bad idea
ok so ubuntu comes without codecs, and many people want the codecs to play on there system, this includes watching videos, flash, music streams, etc.
because of high demand, there are solutions to install the codecs, now with ice wessel, we'll also need a solution to install the plug-ins to use the codecs.
this will just make things worse, plus its dividing firefox development. forking it wont make more people want to try use firefox/icewessel, it'll only confuse them

dca
October 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I actually want Ubuntu to offer an ISO (aside from using 'Reconstructor') that requires network install for remaining software outside of the core files so I can select which media players, which browsers/email clients, etc...

dca
October 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
...and 'no', I'm not talking about Ubuntu Server Ed.

argie
October 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
My only problem is that I want IceDove to be Icehawk.

raublekick
October 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
personally i don't think the Thunderbird clone should be called Ice anything.

Fire -> Ice
Thunder -> Ice? I don't think so.

Hell, even the Bird -> Dove isn't really a logical or consistent naming scheme.

How aboooout... Earth/LightningRaptor?

PriceChild
October 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
It won't take "anything" to get the plugins working... don't worry :)

prizrak
October 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM
ice wessel = bad idea
ok so ubuntu comes without codecs, and many people want the codecs to play on there system, this includes watching videos, flash, music streams, etc.
because of high demand, there are solutions to install the codecs, now with ice wessel, we'll also need a solution to install the plug-ins to use the codecs.
this will just make things worse, plus its dividing firefox development. forking it wont make more people want to try use firefox/icewessel, it'll only confuse them

Don't worry, the plug-ins will work just fine. Mozilla simply doesn't allow you to modify the program and keep calling it Firefox and use their icon (also you have to use the icon if you call it Firefox and vice versa). Iceweasel is nothing but a modified Firefox (same idea as Swiftfox) it's quite a bit faster and perhaps better customized for Linux than Firefox but at the core it is the same.

zachtib
October 18th, 2006, 06:42 PM
My only problem is that I want IceDove to be Icehawk.

I'd say IcePigeon, would fit better with Weasel i think

argie
October 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah, but I didn't like weasel either :D

banjobacon
October 18th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I'd say IcePigeon, would fit better with Weasel i think
Well, at least naming an e-mail client after a dove/pigeon makes sense.

I'm still not a fan of 'ice-' and '-weasel'.

/me shrugs.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yah, these folks are just admitting their inability to come up with original names.

Epiphany and Evolution are miles ahead!

Had they not named their Firefox / Thunderbird spinoffs as opposites to the originals, I would be a lot happier with both of them coexisting.
As it is, I am tempted to get as far away as possible from what seems at first to just be some really bad relations between two groups.

(When really it's just some developers building another spinoff of that code, which actually happens quite often. These particular developers just want to make a lot of noise about it.)

NoTiG
October 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Fire -> Ice

How is it logical calling firefox firefox and thunderbird... thunderbird? It actually makes more sense to call them both IceBLANK because they are compliments of each other. I think it actually makes it more consistent

GStubbs43
October 19th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know how to install Icedove anyway? I'd like to try it. :)

moore.bryan
October 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM

Fire -> Ice

i think we're on the same wave-length... in another thread i suggested lightning-fish... after all, gnu's rationale is iceweasel because ice is not fire and weasel is not fox...
;-)

moore.bryan
October 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Epiphany and Evolution are miles ahead!

i don't know if i agree with "miles ahead..." ;-)
i find epiphany unresponsive and uninuitive... evolution is the king of ram bloat, so on my tiny out-dated machine it's a no-no. i liked t-bird, but it was also a hog... along comes sylpheed, which is nice, but can't do nearly the same as t-bird.

i've been using iceweasel for some time and, on my machine, uses less mem than ff or swiftfox and is faster than both...

raublekick
October 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
i think we're on the same wave-length... in another thread i suggested lightning-fish... after all, gnu's rationale is iceweasel because ice is not fire and weasel is not fox...
;-)

yes exactly! i like the lightningfish idea :)

Old Pink
October 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Who gives a ****? Just remove IceDove and use Thunderbird? Or just get used to the name? As long as it works, right? :)

moore.bryan
October 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
perhaps we should start a revolution?
::shrug::

bruce89
October 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Fire -> Ice

Silentgurnard

xhaan
October 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Stupid naming conventions are awesome.
I love it.

RAV TUX
October 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM

Fire -> Ice

FrozenPhoenix?

Polygon
October 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM
im fine with the naming conventions, although i would prefer icehawk / iceeagle, =P

plus this gives us a chance to make some pretty sweet icons.

Brynster
October 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Ok time to throw my suggestions in.

For Firefox how about WaterBeagle Since water is the opposite of fire and Beagles are used to hunt foxes (or atleast they where in the uk untill it got banned).

For thunderbird how about SuunyWorm, Sunny obivously the polar opposite of thunderstorms and a worm as they live underground which is as close to being the complete opposite of flying above it i can think of.

Stoopid i know

moore.bryan
October 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
waterbeagle, sunnyworm... hysterical! but gnu's "naming conventions" aren't opposites, they're just "nots."
;-)