PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Kino Rocks

darrenm
October 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Ever since 100% ditching Windows a while back I've been feeling a little restricted with video editing. I used to use Pinnacle Studio to edit videos taken of my family. All I wanted was some easy transitions, splitting/combining scenes, DV capture and outputting to DVD with menus.

I tried Kino but couldnt get on with it. The interface was strange and I couldn't work out how to do things. Now I've actually sat down, spent some time with it and read some of the help I'm really impressed. I can do some nice transitions, nice easy editing, nice titles etc.

The one thing missing is a DVD menu creator but at the moment I just export from Kino in DVD format then use ManDVD to create the menus and burn the DVD. Great.

Now if I can just get Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 to work in wine I will be ecstatic. :D

ComplexNumber
October 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM
there's also avidemux. and if you're a real pro, cinelerra.

darrenm
October 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I've been trying lots of different packages for ages and couldn't find anything that fitted my needs correctly.

Avidemux doesnt quite have the extra features I need that Kino has and I actually found Cinelerra quite easy to use but a bit limiting. It would be great for true old style video compositing but again not really for me.

Tried Diva, could never get 0.2 built correctly with my GStreamer.
Tried Lives. Looks and feels incredibly bad.
Tried Pitivi. Very basic and immature.

So after I went back to Kino and actually started using it properly its great. :)

regeya
October 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
If you just want basic menus, DVD Styler works. It doesn't integrate perfectly with Kino, but it works, sorta. :-}

Tabernac! I'll have to give ManDVD a try. It looks nice.

Super King
October 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Kino looks decent, I just wish it would support AVI files recorded with my Canon camera.