PDA

View Full Version : MS teaming with Linux for virtual drives?

MikePnKY
October 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I used the search feature looking for virtual drives, and didn't find any mention of this article....so, I assuming that it's not been posted yet.

So, what's everyone's take on Mr. Bill's latest?.....

Microsoft opens virtual drives for free (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061018/tc_nm/microsoft_open_dc;_ylt=Ai9MycaAUulPXCuQ7DYP2EgEtbA F;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDJjOXUyBHNlYwNtdm5ld3M-)

mozetti
October 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I think it's a combination of MS undercutting VMWare and stemming the tide of those that might depart MS for Linux when Vista comes out. Basically, they're giving away virtualization software so people can run Linux within XP & Vista, because they don't let you run most versions of Vista virtually.

MikePnKY
October 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I think it's a combination of MS undercutting VMWare and stemming the tide of those that might depart MS for Linux when Vista comes out. Basically, they're giving away virtualization software so people can run Linux within XP & Vista, because they don't let you run most versions of Vista virtually.

Ahhh, I didn't know that. I've not done any dabbling in Vista, just haven't felt the compulsion :mrgreen:

prizrak
October 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
It's a brilliant move for them. MS gives their virtualization stuff away for free anyway so they won't lose any revenue. It will also most likely only work on Windows so if you decide to run a virtual Linux server MS still gets the money from Windows. It also makes them look like the good guys, they are giving away great technology and asking nothing in return.

kopilo
October 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Dragon linux has been able to run on top of windows for years. It's worked better then any virtual engine in my honest opinion.

RussianVodka
October 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Wait, so they are saying it's illegal to run Windows inside a windiw (where it belongs) on Linux. But I can run Linux in a window inside Windows?

Seems like just another atempt to stomp Linux...

talz13
October 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Wait, so they are saying it's illegal to run Windows inside a windiw (where it belongs) on Linux. But I can run Linux in a window inside Windows?

Seems like just another atempt to stomp Linux...

I think they're saying that vista just has trouble running on virtual machines (at least currently)

PriceChild
October 18th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I've already heard of a vulnerability in vista's VMs which takes advantage of the way viruses may spread from VM to actual vista...

Was connected with the way that they won't open up the kernel to symantec and mcaffee etc.