PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE, PLEASE can you check this for me?

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 03:03 AM
all my posts on my ISPs forum have been hidden from everyone who isn't logged in :( login and you can see them!

all i've done is show tiscali's DNS servers aren't working and shown people how to fix the problem. i think they are trying to hide it because it's such a big problem, everyone is having problems with them :(

here is the link to the page where i posted -
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215

you can see all the problems people are having. i have asked a friend and he can't see my posts either :(

here's a screenshot of how it looks when i'm logged in. and one when i'm not. can you see my post? my posts are there, you just can't see them if you aren't logged in, they've been hidden from outside viewing.

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 03:09 AM
it should be in the first few because of the date it shows in your attachment, but i don't see it there. I scrolled down, didnt see it there either. odd.

can you see it when you log out?

John.Michael.Kane
October 18th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I think they removed your post.

ice60 Does the fix you posted go against the isp's end user agreement.

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 03:14 AM
it should be in the first few because of the date it shows in your attachment, but i don't see it there. I scrolled down, didnt see it there either. odd.

can you see it when you log out?

i just editted my first post to show one logged in and one logged out.

here is what i wrote about the problem -

this is how i fixed my slow internet problems -
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=113695

i think i should have posted it here because more people view this part of the forum (maybe i did and it was moved because it was posted in the wrong place, i don't know???). i did try and copy and paste it here but the post didn't appear. it woked for me, that's all i can say.
the link in the first post is hidden too! it leads to another one of my posts.

here's how to change the DNS if anyone is interested?

all DNS does is look up the address for where ever you want to go. so if this doesn't work you can just undo the changes without any problems!

here's what you do if you still have the modem (the thing on the end of the wire which plugs into the phone socket) which tiscali gave you - the speedtouch or that other one i forget the name.
http://www.opendns.com/start/windows.php

if you have a router, or an apple, you can click on the picture of the router you have and follow the instructions on the page here -
http://www.opendns.com/start/

here are the *nix instructions (make a backup of any files you change before you change anything -
sudo cp path/to/file path/to/file.bak)
http://www.opendns.com/start/unix.php

you may have to restart your connection and even reboot with windows. :)

here's a screenshot of it. i really think they are trying to hid it :rolleyes:

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 03:18 AM
i think changing the dns may indeed be against their policy. I know for a fact that my ISP (charter comm) says that they don't offer any static DNS addresses. One time, my router for some reason, stopped detecting my DNS automatically. so i called to get a static one, they refused, said they didnt have any. LUCKILY, i scrounged up this old piece of paper with a bunch of settings on it from when i was trying to set up my playstation 2 to go online; it had the DNS address on it. I put it into my router and voila. So they basically lied to me over the phone.

I don't know why they don't want you to be able to change the DNS. but i was just posting the experience i've had with that.

edit: do you really think opendns would be faster for me? i dont really have too much of a problem with speed. And i don't like the idea of any random 3rd party company being able to see what i'm browsing. But they're probably no less trustworthy than my own cable company. so yeah, i wonder if it'd really make a difference for me.

John.Michael.Kane
October 18th, 2006, 03:22 AM
If i'm not mistaken what you posted would allow the user to get their dns from a server other then your isp.

This could be the cause of them removing your post,and or editing it.

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I don't know why they don't want you to be able to change the DNS. but i was just posting the experience i've had with that.

well, i'll tell you what i think. they have had terrible problems for 3/4 weeks and i don't think they want people to see that the fix is not to use their DNS.

here's a screenshot taken before i changed the DNS from yesterday. if you look at the bottom you can see the time the page has taken to load - 1 hour 16 minutes!!! that's how bad their problems are!! i gave up after all that and the page never loaded lol

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I think they removed your post.

ice60 Does the fix you posted go against the isp's end user agreement.

i don't think so, one of the support guys has seen my post about it. my posts are their now, i can see them when i login, it's just when you aren't logged in that you can't see them.

John.Michael.Kane
October 18th, 2006, 03:33 AM
If they left your "Fix" up for others to read then you might be in the clear.

Now it's only a question of does the fix work for others..

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
If they left your "Fix" up for others to read then you might be in the clear.

Now it's only a question of does the fix work for others..
i'm not worried about being in the clear, it has worked for others who have tried it. i'm just disgusted with tiscali: first i ask for help repeatedly and get ignored completely by their support team, then i find a fix and try and help and all my posts dissappear from outside viewing. i just think tiscali are awful. that's all.

i'm going to bed lol