PDA

View Full Version : If you're a newbie, try PCLINUXOS

ibnturab
October 18th, 2006, 02:35 AM
First, let me say that the Ubuntu project is GREAT and is based on honorable principles. And the functionality is excellent ... if you know what u r a doing. I played around with it for about a couple weeks before giving up because i wasn't comfortable with sudo this and su that. I realize the idea behind it is to make sure that you don't delete important files, but it can be a pain for new linux users like myself.

So i tried a couple different distros until i came across PCLINUXOS [pclos] and it was a lot easier for a linux newby like me. Dont have to worry about sudo or su for simple tasks. I can open up my windows partition without touching the command line . Adding files is simple with Synaptic package manager. Pclos is similar to kubuntu in that it uses KDE desktop [i liked gnome and kde so that didn't matter].

I also wanted to encourage newbies not to give up on linux completely if one distribution doesn't work, instead try a couple of different ones.

Another good distro was Puppy Linux which was amazing because it was only 60mb in size.

Good luck

meng
October 18th, 2006, 02:38 AM
I have PCLinuxOS on my notebook and it's pretty good for the reasons you mentioned. Keep in mind that the repository is not as expansive as Ubuntu's though, so if you're after less popular software, you may need to install from source.

aysiu
October 18th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I've moved this to Other OS Talk.

seijuro
October 18th, 2006, 03:06 AM
First off I would like to clarify, Linux is not supposed to be a repackaging of Windows there for the tools used in them are and should be different. Second one of my biggest complaints with Windows is the depreciation of command line usage. I really admire Ubuntu for not trying to turn Linux into a point and click Windows repackage but instead encouraging new users to use the tools native to Linux and providing reference material as well as growing a community that may offer help for new users learning the ropes. I realize the command line is not practical for all situations however it remains one of the most effecient tools in computing.

meng
October 18th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I think these are all fair comments. However one can still take advantage of the command line in PCLinuxOS, and I often do (especially for aptitude, and also to re-enter my WEP key which inexplicably disappears every now and then, for reasons I've been unable to fathom). Also, given how many complaints there are in these forums about the "difficuly" in installing codecs, and the popularity of Automatix, it seems that there's a big demand for something like PCLinuxOS.

enopepsoo
October 18th, 2006, 03:16 AM
First off I would like to clarify, Linux is not supposed to be a repackaging of Windows there for the tools used in them are and should be different. That doesn't mean you have to use the terminal though

ibnturab
October 18th, 2006, 03:34 AM
If the commandline was so great, people would still use dos. The only reason people use a command line is because of limitation of the available software.
Meng's comment on the repository is true, but for most users they'll find what they are looking for easily within the available libraries.

aysiu
October 18th, 2006, 03:40 AM
If the commandline was so great, people would still use dos. The only reason people use a command line is because of limitation of the available software. If by limitations, you mean that there's no way someone could design a program able to install ten programs point-and-click in the time it takes to do so with a simple aptitude install command, then you are correct.

If you mean that once a GUI frontend exists, there's no advantage to the command-line, you couldn't be more misinformed.

meng
October 18th, 2006, 03:40 AM
If the commandline was so great, people would still use dos. The only reason people use a command line is because of limitation of the available software.
This may be true for some users, but by no means can be generalized to all users. Long live the command line!

enopepsoo
October 18th, 2006, 04:36 AM

people stopped using DOS more because windows 95 came out. When I had the 3.11/6.21 combo I used DOS more than windows. Windows was good for some things, but most stuff I preferred DOS.

If you compare the power of DOS to that of BASH, you will find that DOS is comparatively useless.:KS

When windows 95 came out, the move to pure gui was made to broaden the appeal of computers (and I would say that move was a success, although the expansion of the internet was obviously just as important).

The point is, and it has been said on here 1000+ times, the CLI is very useful, as is the GUI. The combination is great (which is why I boot into gnome rather than a terminal).

I just wanted to say that people did not stop using the CLI because GUI is neccessarily better. That is an argument by appeal to concensus, which is a fallacy.:D

unfknblvbl
October 18th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I am a linux newbie [been using it for a month or so], and I use terminal MORE than I use the gui. The terminal is an invaluable tool. It IS FASTER than the gui for some things, e.g. installing new programs, compiling stuff. I would definitely not switch to a completely gui based OS. This is one of the reason I like linux. From 9 years of Windows GUI to Linux CLI and GUI, I would not go back. Long Live the Command Line ! :D

Infact during the holidays I'll install openbox/fluxbox and get a permanent console and only use that. Thats proof of how much I've fallen in love with the console. :D

ibnturab
October 18th, 2006, 06:13 AM
This conversation has quickly changed from different linux distros to try out to 'gui vs terminal'.

What i was and still am trying to say is that for most pc users who aren't skilled in terminal instructions [which is the majority of the worlds pc users], the initial switch to linux via ubuntu and many other distros might be rough. And instead of having them give up and head back to good old M$oft, I was suggesting that they try a distro that is less dependent on terminal usage.

For you folks that love the terminal, more power to ya ;) .

aysiu
October 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I totally agree with you, ibnturab.

Ubuntu, out of all the "user-friendly distros," is still the most terminal-dependent.

I would always recommend PCLinuxOS or Mepis to a new user who is afraid of the terminal.

Ubuntu is an excellent second distro, though!

denad
October 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Im a newbie user too, and I do see a point in using a command line. Installing almost any program i want by typing a simple line, is in my oppinion more user friendly than windows. Serching the web yourself for that application will take longer time. Still, Im more comfortable editing files in gedit than nano.

I could acces my windows partitions without ever touching the command line too, in ubuntu.

As for other distros, I tried red had a few yers ago, didnt understand anything, couldnt get my internet connection to work, and couldnt get info about what to do to make it work either, so I kept using windows instead. This year I decided to give linux another try. I didnt like Mandriva at all, Debian didnt like my graphics card so I was stuck at the command line. Ubuntu worked right out of the box, so I am slowly starting to scratch the surface of linux.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
I'm still finding my way with CLI. I do prefer to use it rather than synaptic for installing packages when I know the package name tho'. If I have a terminal open, I will rather run a program from it than move the mouse, open the menu, scroll across and click. It's faster to type sometimes.

The majority of CLI commands are greek to me, but I'm learning. Which is nice.

And ON topic...I tired PCLOS for a while. It was nice. Prefer Ubuntu tho.

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
The command line can be fun though, and lightning fast.
I got used to it over the years, pretty easy actually and not as hard as everyone makes it... especially the abiility to copy and paste commands!

drakshug
April 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Er. You can still use the command line in windows so it isn't much of an argument for or against another Linux os. All have their strengths and weaknesses. However what we must remember is that there are a lot of disillusioned MS users out there after vista and they are used to GUI. A lot of them would be totally lost. Also Dell are going to increase their Linux box base. Do you think they will want to put a distro that looks totally alien to the majority of windows users? Most of the Linux hardcore users build their own boxes anyway. They'll probably choose a KDE distro and one that makes it easy to navigate. after that the user can start playing around with it. This is what happens after a 12 year MS monopoly and you have to break new users in gently. We know that Linux isn't windows but there are a helluva a lot of computer users that just want an easy to use, comfortable for them (that means like MS) OS.

karellen
April 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I am a linux newbie [been using it for a month or so], and I use terminal MORE than I use the gui. The terminal is an invaluable tool. It IS FASTER than the gui for some things, e.g. installing new programs, compiling stuff. I would definitely not switch to a completely gui based OS. This is one of the reason I like linux. From 9 years of Windows GUI to Linux CLI and GUI, I would not go back. Long Live the Command Line ! :D

Infact during the holidays I'll install openbox/fluxbox and get a permanent console and only use that. Thats proof of how much I've fallen in love with the console. :D

my congrats man :)
and about the topic, I've tried pclinux os (0.93 and 2007), they're nice and user-friendly...but I still prefer ubuntu :D

eentonig
April 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
I don't like the CLI neither. But then again, I notice that one of the first things I do when I start up the pc, is to open up a terminal.

I usually have one or two terminals open and I do find myself also typing in the programs I want to start, rather then navigating thourgh the menu to click the starter.

I'm no CLI guru and I would never run a distro which doesn't provide a decent gui. But commandline is so bloody powerfull, that I just keep getting back to it. Even when there are gui alternatives for almost everything I do on a regular basis.

Just like editing conf files. If it's a large file, I'll use

gksudo gedit /etc/whatever_filename

But if it's a small change in a file I now my way in. I use

sudo vi /etc/fastchange_filename
And i still get lost in the shortcuts that vi uses

mcsquared
September 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I tried Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and then migrated to Mint Cassandra; I liked Mint a lot, but both Mint gives me grief getting my wireless Broadcom 4306 to work. So next I gave PC Linux a try. I like it, too and install was a breeze.
However I still can't get my Broadcom 4306 wireless card to work. Too, I'm wondering if I can download Automatix2 to PCLinux. Do you know?

Thank you,
Ms. Max :)

p.s. any ideas about instructions for getting my wireless to work in PCLinux?:)

Gremlinzzz
September 18th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I tried Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and then migrated to Mint Cassandra; I liked Mint a lot, but both Mint gives me grief getting my wireless Broadcom 4306 to work. So next I gave PC Linux a try. I like it, too and install was a breeze.
However I still can't get my Broadcom 4306 wireless card to work. Too, I'm wondering if I can download Automatix2 to PCLinux. Do you know?

Thank you,
Ms. Max :)

p.s. any ideas about instructions for getting my wireless to work in PCLinux?:)

click the link they should be able to help you.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

aysiu
September 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Broadcoms are notoriously Linux-unfriendly. Nevertheless, there are a plethora of threads about how to get Broadcom 4306 working on Ubuntu:
How I got Broadcom 4306 to work for me... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=284746)
Broadcom 4306 with WEP - SUCCESS!!! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=210424)
Broadcom 4306 Setup Successful (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=319402)
HowTo: Broadcom 4306 w/ndiswrapper (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189070)
[SOLVED] Help With Broadcom 4306!!! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484082)
HOWTO: Broadcom 4306 & Edgy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=291088)

Frak
October 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
This may be true for some users, but by no means can be generalized to all users. Long live the command line!
w00t CLI

Also, I agree with the OP, PCLOS is a great OS for newbies (in the good sense of the word), if they don't live in the U.S.
Unfortunately, I still agree with Ubuntu as the begginers OS for legal reasons, but PCLOS is gaining its own charm, and finding its bearings to start seperating itself from Mandriva.

Antman
October 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Indeed, if the commandline suddenly vanished and i couldn't do quick chores via terminal, and had to rely on a slow Gui 100% of the time, I would go insane.:mad:

Offoffoff
October 9th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Heretics! How You all can talk about alien distro here? You all going to burnt in hell! Ubuntu - the best for all.

igknighted
October 9th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Heretics! How You all can talk about alien distro here? You all going to burnt in hell! Ubuntu - the best for all.

1) I don't think most users share your opinion here. Ubuntu is a great distro, but even the developers do not try to pretend it is the best distro for all users.

2) It's people like you who give Ubuntu users a bad name.

LaRoza
October 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
1) I don't think most users share your opinion here. Ubuntu is a great distro, but even the developers do not try to pretend it is the best distro for all users.

2) It's people like you who give Ubuntu users a bad name.

I think it was a joke.

For PCLinuxOS, I am selling my old computer to an "average" type user. I set it up to facilitate the Linux switch. It has three OS's, Windows XP, Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS. Windows XP is set up with all free software to the extent of my ability (OO, FF, Opera) so the apps will be similar.

Hopefully, the speed and freedom of Linux will make XP unused. Ubuntu is set up with GNOME, Beryl, and KDE, so the user can experiment. And PCLinuxOS is there because it is relatively simple although I feel Ubuntu has more to offer the user. (I have the install CD for PCLinuxOS, but the 6 repository DVD's for Ubuntu, and the internet is dial-up, too slow and unwieldly for Linux)

linuxamp
February 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
The only reason people use a command line is because of limitation of the available software.
NO WAY!! Without a command line interface you'd need to program mouse macros to automate anything. You'd also need to be logged in since the macros wouldn't work if you were logged out and that's a security risk.

In fact, command line is so important that Microsoft has recently released the "power shell" which significantly improves Windows command line interface so much so that it comes built in to Server 2008. See, even MS, the GUIest OS finally realized how important command line is. Interestingly many of the added features have been in Linux shells for years.

Changturkey
February 12th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Can someone tell me why this topic is in the Fedora forum?

igknighted
February 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Can someone tell me why this topic is in the Fedora forum?

PCLOS is roughly based on Mandriva, which is rooted way back in Red Hat. Since there is no Mandriva/derivatives forum, Red Hat et. al. is the closest one.