PDA

View Full Version : Europe Moves To Kill The Internet

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 12:08 AM
i just saw these links about a new EU directive. :rolleyes:

The latest move to kill off online freedom and the spread of information comes in the form of proposed EU legislation that would prevent users from uploading any form of video...

http://www.infowars.net/articles/October2006/171006Internet.htm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2407359,00.html

Polygon
October 18th, 2006, 12:18 AM
ahahahahahahahaha

controlling the internet. thats a good one.

oh wait sorry... were they serious?

this will never pass. No one can control the internet, and its stupid to even try. Sure they have good intentions, but in all honestly youw ill be doing more bad and good by banning videos from the internet. Cause not everything on the internet is illegal.

and i especially like this quote:

The attack on internet freedom is forging ahead every day. Monday saw Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff declare the internet as a "terror training camp" that attracts Disaffected people. His solution is "intelligence fusion centers," staffed by Homeland Security personnel which will go into operation next year.

we are all terrorists in training.

23meg
October 18th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Yet another proof of the EU's double standards on "freedom of expression".

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 12:38 AM
ahahahahahahahaha

controlling the internet. thats a good one.

oh wait sorry... were they serious?

i know it's stupid and it's only a directive which means if it's passed it can be watered down, so it won't happen. but, it just shows what the EU is like - morons!!

d3v1ant_0n3
October 18th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Oh noes! Think of the children!

I love Brussels](*,)

They DO realise that the internet is a worldwide thing, right? That individual websites fall under the juristiction of the country in which they are hosted? All that would happen is that suddenly 2 million servers would spring up in the carribean hosting videos for people to watch.

On the bright side, I live in the US, so what do I care anymore:D

mrgnash
October 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM
There you go, the EU and its good ole 'progressivism' ;)

ice60
October 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM
it's not funny, none of you live in the EU, i do lol they are an awful lot. horrible
i don't like the EU :-({|=

weasel fierce
October 18th, 2006, 03:15 AM
This isnt just a european thing. Its happening everywhere. The first step of a government when its faced with something new, or something it doesnt understand, is to try to control it, in the name of "freedom" or "safety"

BWF89
October 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM
This isnt just a european thing. Its happening everywhere. The first step of a government when its faced with something new, or something it doesnt understand, is to try to control it, in the name of "freedom" or "safety"
For every action, there is an equal and opposite government reaction.

raublekick
October 18th, 2006, 04:12 AM
if the US and EU have similar goals, bad things will happen. it is much easier for one to pass crappy laws if the other supports them and passes similar laws.

prizrak
October 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
US has been working on similar laws. In the article it says that there is a possibility of FCC control over the internet (they been trying for a while). The net neutrality act is in the works in the US. I just hope that Google, MS and Yahoo will be able to throw their weight around to stop such legislation or at least water it down as it would most definetly hurt them. Although the way Google is, they'll just offer free broadband to everyone :)

chaosgeisterchen
October 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
There are little europeans it seems.. I am one and it's doubtlessly proven that, whatever actions they take, EU fails..

DoctorMO
October 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
The EU is not a single thing it's a number of parts which each fight each other.

The EC (Eupopean Commision) are the ones that normaly cause all the problems, they're non elected busy bodies in the pockets of big business.

In this case it looks like the European Parliment is behind it and the European Courts will have to be used in order to counter it as it's against my human rights of free speach which the EU grants under human rights.

darkghost
October 18th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'm european and I really can't understand the direction EU is taking.
What I know for sure is that in Italy you won't find a single government representative who understands the internet.... too busy making money (sometimes illegaly here...) to use the internet and understand it.
Take for instance the blogs. We had elections 6 months ago (were they 5?)...
Many put up their blogs (awful, full of rubbish pasted from here and there in a hurry)... Now they all disappeared. No time to write a blog ? Well, then don't use it...especially if you don't understand how it works...

The only thing they understand are the problems of big corporations...why ?
'Cause they receive money and benefits...

By the way, I don't think this is going to pass or to be really applied...
They'll probably create a law and apply it only when a big corporation will see her latest movie on youtube upped by some EU teen...