PDA

View Full Version : Please harmonize Xubuntu menus and themes towards The Great Ubuntu!

Macchi
October 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I can't get through to contact the Xubuntu guys. I just wanted to tell them that I hope to see some harmonization towards the menus and themes of the mainstream Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has great usability solutions, nice aesthetics and of course is built upon a great technology. It is creating a standard for many new Linux users today!

Unfortunately, people with older machines are not able to use that power. Xubuntu addresses the segment for low-end machines but in my opinion is not a good start for most human users. A new Ubuntu user cannot work effectively in Xubuntu without having to face a new learning curve.
I was disapointed with that.

I hope that the Xubuntu project will emphasize its strenght and identity in the technology for low-end computers but otherwise harmonize with the great Ubuntu. Many users would be very thankful for that!

IYY
October 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
To an extent, I agree with this. I think that Xubuntu and Kubuntu should both organize themselves to look and feel more like Ubuntu, so that it's clear that we're dealing with one distro with multiple window managers. For example, my IceWM theme IceBuntu is a complete clone of the Ubuntu theme. I think that similar themes should be the defaults for Xfce and KDE, and the menus should be organized in the same way as in Ubuntu.

.t.
October 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well, XFCE is getting there. It support FreeDesktop.org .desktop files and Debian's menu structure for its system menu. Unfortunately, Alacarte doesn't work on it yet. If I knew the GNOME system better, and Python, I'd fix it. I love XFCE!

maniacmusician
October 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM
To an extent, I agree with this. I think that Xubuntu and Kubuntu should both organize themselves to look and feel more like Ubuntu, so that it's clear that we're dealing with one distro with multiple window managers. For example, my IceWM theme IceBuntu is a complete clone of the Ubuntu theme. I think that similar themes should be the defaults for Xfce and KDE, and the menus should be organized in the same way as in Ubuntu.
I actually kind of disagree with this. It could be an option, sure, but I kind of like each of them looking a little different. KDE especially, since xfce is closer to gnome in looks.

Macchi
October 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your answers!

I will try to continue this discussion at the forum on Xubuntu.info and hope later achieve some concrete results.

maniacmusician
October 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
good luck! oh, and while you're over there, tell those guys to stop making xfce look like gnome! let xfce be xfce and users can make it gnome-like later if they really want to!

shining
October 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
good luck! oh, and while you're over there, tell those guys to stop making xfce look like gnome! let xfce be xfce and users can make it gnome-like later if they really want to!

I would also prefer that.

midwinter
October 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM

Yes, total agreement here.

Brunellus
October 31st, 2006, 03:49 PM
Diversity is good. I don't know about the Xubuntu users, but I'm pretty sure that the Kubuntu Kommunity would Kringe at the prospeKt of having to deal with an ubuntu-brown theme. They seem to prefer things in blue (or is that Kerulean?).

dannyboy79
October 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
i love xubuntu just the way it is, if I wanted it to be more like ubuntu I would install ubuntu! oh, i run it on a 266mhz pentium mmx with 128mb ram and it has brought this old laptop back to life!

paul cooke
October 31st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Diversity is good. I don't know about the Xubuntu users, but I'm pretty sure that the Kubuntu Kommunity would Kringe at the prospeKt of having to deal with an ubuntu-brown theme. They seem to prefer things in blue (or is that Kerulean?).

i much prefer Kreamy Kat (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=42402)... mind you I did create it... :)

ps, sounds like a good name for an Ubuntu version...

chavo
October 31st, 2006, 07:17 PM

Xfce isn't made to look like gnome at all. It just happens to be built using the same toolkit as Gnome - GTK. Sure you can make it look exactly like your Gnome setup by using the same theme or you can choose an entirely different theme. Hmmm choose... your choice, you can make it look like Windows if you were so inclined.

Personally I think Xubuntu should have it's own style just as Kubuntu does. It doesn't have to be radically different, just use the human looks engine and give it it's own unique color scheme.

As far as the menus and other things go, yes the xfce menu is quite different from Gnome's and could stand to be cleaned up a bit. Other than that I say keep xfce the way it is, as dannyboy said if he wanted gnome he'd install ubuntu instead.

midwinter
October 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Xfce isn't made to look like gnome at all. It just happens to be built using the same toolkit as Gnome - GTK. Sure you can make it look exactly like your Gnome setup by using the same theme or you can choose an entirely different theme. Hmmm choose... your choice, you can make it look like Windows if you were so inclined.

I think he's referring to the fact Xubuntu is set up with the panels and such to look like Gnome rather than the default xfce set up which is rather different, and I think more appropriate for the way in which xfce actually works. It's like they tried to kill its identity. Or something. :confused:

SunnyRabbiera
October 31st, 2006, 07:51 PM
XFCE is good, but it does need more work to be sure.
But I personally like XFCE more then Gnome

bailout
October 31st, 2006, 07:53 PM

I kompletely agree with this. Kubuntu has already simplified konqueror in a fit of gnomification. If I wanted gnome I would have installed ubuntu not kubuntu in the first place. On such a gnome dominated board it might be difficult for people to understand but not everyone likes gnome and its design philosophy. There is no point in making the alternatives that are available mirror gnome.

Choad
October 31st, 2006, 08:25 PM
I kompletely agree with this. Kubuntu has already simplified konqueror in a fit of gnomification. If I wanted gnome I would have installed ubuntu not kubuntu in the first place. On such a gnome dominated board it might be difficult for people to understand but not everyone likes gnome and its design philosophy. There is no point in making the alternatives that are available mirror gnome.
100% agreed

tho they really need to sort out thunar's location in the menu

Macchi
December 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I agree with many you that diversity is good. But do not confuse diversity with the lack of standards for a user interface. Nor the lack of ability to integrate the best elements of different solutions, in order to address a wider number of users or customers.
Xubuntu could have a default "theme" and default configuration that looks similar to the mainstream Ubuntu.

A key point for this thread was originally:
[QUOTE=Macchi;1628898]A new Ubuntu user cannot work effectively in Xubuntu without having to face a new learning curve.

I am interested in Xubuntu since it would be a good solution for people with older systems that are switching to GNU/Linux. Consistency between the interfaces of Ubuntu (Gnome) and Xubuntu would provide some synergy effects for Ubuntu, and ultimately for Linux as a whole.

Experienced users are capable to customize the desktop the way they want, so I believe it is better to shape the desktop primarily for humans and not exclusively for geeks. Just like Ubuntu has doing in a very successful way.

K.Mandla
December 20th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Interesting. Personally I'm less enthused by the Edgy interface than I was by the Breezy interface for Xubuntu. I realize it puts things in the same places between Xubuntu and Ubuntu, but I immediately end up switching things back as soon as I start a new Xubuntu machine. :-k