PDA

View Full Version : Would you Support a Linux-only Game Company?

deepwave
October 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM
If someone started a game company that makes Linux-only games. Would you buy their game, just because they are released exclusively for Linux?

And what game would you want to see made?

nalmeth
October 17th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I would prefer if the software was freed, but anything to get more games on linux, without stopgaps like Cedega.

Yes

Carrots171
October 17th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I didn't vote. I'd buy their games if they made good games. :)

It's always good to have more games on Linux so I would buy from them, but I'd rather buy a game from a company that makes games for many platforms, such as Id, than a company that makes games for only one platform, even if it is for Linux, because making software available for anyone, running any OS, is important.

In my opinion, a major game company that switches from making windows-only games to making games that run on both platforms would be more beneficial to Linux than a Linux-only game company. A major game company (every major game company that makes PC games makes games that run on Windows) that starts porting their games for Linux would encourage other game companies to port their games over. Because they are major companies that make popular and well-known games, people will pay attention - not just game companies but other software companies, too.

ixus_123
October 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM
No - I'd buy the game if it was good - I show no brand loyalty & will use whatever is best for me.

That being said, I don't game much. I have Far Cray on the PC (windows) which I think is great. Thing is PC games require too much horsepower / cost to run games. If I was a serious gamer I'd probably just buy a console or 2

greggh
October 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I'm about to buy a GP2X which is opensource and runs Linux...

http://www.gp2x.com/

Kateikyoushi
October 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Recently I only play on LAN with friends, but if they were to pull out a good 2D RPG game I think I would give it a go.

asimon
October 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM
As nice as that would be I think economical a Linux-only game company makes no sense. The market is tiny compared to Windows-only games. I don't think we will see a profitable Linux-only game company (with titles comparable with Windows games) anytime soon. The most reasonable thing seems to develop for Windows and Linux like some companies already do.

raublekick
October 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM
if it was a good game, yes, i would buy it!

how about this idea: game company makes game (possibly cross platform), engine is closed but the rest is open, so if you buy a copy of the game, you can make your own games based on the engine, and install games that others have made based on it. something along those lines would be pretty cool. maybe the inverse of that would work too (open engine, closed data packs)

aysiu
October 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I don't game, and my wife games on consoles only.

justin whitaker
October 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I think there is a market out there, albeit small, for a Linux Game company.

I bought Loki titles retail in one of my earlier dalliances with Linux, so I will buy Linux native games if someone puts them out.

Some sort of shareware model might work....

kopilo
October 17th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Conditions: Games have to be good

The games also have to be cross-copiled or written in something such as python so they can be run across many platforms.

A company that locks out the market because of their OS choice.. Produces an annoying product.

So no. I wouldn't support or be against it.

yippy
October 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Games aren't much good to me if I can't play with friends (Oblivion being the one exception), and none of my friends seriously use Linux.

I really, really want to say I'd support a linux game company, but right now I don't see it happening.

I don't game that often though, once a week or less, so I just reboot into Windows when I do. I keep Windows around just for games, and I intentionally keep Windows slim and don't install anything so games are the only thing it can do.

Lord Illidan
October 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
The games have to be good in the first place.

But I think the market is waay too small. And if they produce only open source games..well...funding would be kinda hard.

I think crossplatform is the answer.