PDA

View Full Version : GIMP 2.3 and beyond

musther
October 17th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I'm just musing about the GIMP, first of all, I have to say I've always really liked it.

People are always talking about what the GIMP is lacking, and from time to time I come across something I want, and find that it isn't there. GIMP 2.3 seems set to add several features which people have wanted ever since Adobe Photoshop CS was released, things like text on a path and perspective clone. Other things which the GIMP has been lacking for some time are something like photoshop's 'healing brush' and adjustment layers. Again, GIMP 2.3 should have a 'healing brush' and this just leaves me stuck without adjustment layers.

I've been looking around gimp.org developer.gimp.org, but can't find a 'GIMP roadmap' or similar, somewhere which sets out GIMP features which are goals for the future. Does anyone know of such a place, or is there somebody who knows about GIMP development who can enlighten me?

LMP900
October 17th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Don't you mean GIMP 2.4? AFAIK, 2.3 is a development branch, as with all the odd-numbered 2.x releases. But not really important :)

Anyways, sorry I can't help you out. I'm no GIMP power-user, but I too am interested in seeing what's ahead for one of my favorite apps.

musther
October 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Yup, I did mean 2.4...

As you said, it's interesting to see what's ahead... Maybe when the new GEGL is coded in and up and running (and we have 16 bit support) we'll have things like adjustment layers.

slimdog360
October 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Ive been looking forward to it myself, the foreground vutout feature looks good. I tried installing the latest gimp 2.3 something a while ago but could never resolve the despendencies properly.