PDA

View Full Version : Australians only - which ADSL modem?

muzza
April 18th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Hi, I'm not xenophobic, but the Australian telecommunications company seems to have an aversion to foreign modems.

I've just signed up for broadband, but held off buying the modem through the ISP until I find one that has a proven Linux track record. Have any Aussies out there got a recommendation for a ubuntu friendly ADSL modem (/router?).

I'd eventually like to set up a small network when I've finished building my house (I'll want network ports in the office, 4 bedrooms + living room, and I don't know anything about networks.

Are there any modems to avoid? Any recommendations?

Edit; Oh, by the way. I'll be using a Mac laptop (Powerbook 550) on the network at times. Running either OSX or UbuntuPPC. Will this affect my choice?

Gibbz
April 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
take a gander at www.whirlpool.net.au forums there, a good aussie forum dedicated to broadband in Aus...

KiwiNZ
April 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM
If you are going to set up a network go for a Router as they are PC or OS independent .

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 10:10 AM
yup, then all you have to worry about is what NIC to get.

muzza
April 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM
KiwiNZ, does the router have the modem in it?

Panickedthumb, what's an NIC?

KiwiNZ
April 18th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Muzza

With a Router you dont need a modem . It does the communication with the ADSL wan . They are a permanently connected solution.
Great when you do rebuilds as you get updates as you install.
Look at this site http://www.dlink.com.au/

A NIC is a Network interface card . Its the Onboard or add in port interface for the Ethernet connection betweem your PC's and Router.

Cheers

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 09:41 PM
you still need the dsl modem though, do you not? Plug the modem into the router, then the router to the NICs? That's the way I've done it in the past. Though there may some routers that do this for you

Ozitraveller
April 18th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I use a DSL-504G it's a ADSL Modem/Router/Switch.

The DSL-504G is an ADSL Internet Gateway Router designed for the small office and home. This router lets you quickly and easily connects to high-speed broadband Internet and share your ADSL line. With a built-in ADSL interface, 4 Fast Ethernet switch ports and advanced functions, this router gives your business and home a convenient and cost-effective way to install a secure, fast network with bottleneck-free link to the outside world.

The DSL-504G provides NAT protection for your office and home users from Internet intruders and hacker attacks, plus VPN pass-through for extra security. It blocks and re-directs certain ports to limit the services that outside users can access your network. Virtual Server Mapping is used to re-task services to multiple servers. The DSL-504G can be set to allow separate FTP, Web, and Multiplayer game servers to share the same Internet-visible IP address while still protecting your servers and workstations from hackers.

You can configure any of the built-in LAN switch ports to function as a DMZ port. A DMZ setting can be applied to a single client (such as a Web server) behind the router to fully expose it to the Internet and ensure complete Internet application compatibility even if the specific port is not known. This allows you to set up web sites and e-commerce business from your office while maintaining protection for the rest of your office LAN.

EDIT: I think I paid about $250AUS. Not cheap, but I can still go wireless just by adding a dataport.

KiwiNZ
April 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM
you still need the dsl modem though, do you not? Plug the modem into the router, then the router to the NICs? That's the way I've done it in the past. Though there may some routers that do this for you

Use a DSL router with built in Ethernet Hub is all you need , plus your ethernet card in the PC . Look at these Routers here .. http://www.dlink.com.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=660

Brad wilkinson
April 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Hello fellow aussies!

I'm using a Billion 7402 w/o all the wireless, voip options. I got it when it came out about 12 months ago, for $230-ish.

The base one like mine would be less now, as there are other models with wireless and voip.

It has not missed a beat since I got it, and it is upgradeable to ADSL 2/2+ by flashing the firmware. When my exchange is upgraded with new DSLAM's anyway.

It has NAT, router, VPN and all sorts of stuff that I don't use. I've just got it set to keep out the inquisitive script kiddies, and let me surf.

I like it much better than my bro's cheapie phone/USB/emulated LAN port thing. Mine doesn't break.

Uptime is measured in months. *grin*

(in case I sound to much like a fanboy, I should say i have no financial interest in billion, or any of there suppliers or distributors).