We will be moving there shortly....

mips
October 17th, 2006, 02:23 PM
No Mon, one in Jamaica is warmer ;)

Brunellus
October 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Anyone here form Kingston?

We will be moving there shortly....
H'mm. from Montreal to Kingston, and a Shatner icon.

Is this a McGill grad going over to the Queens'?

Roger Mudd
October 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Not from there but used to go fishing with my father at a camp up on Loughborough Lake just north of the city. Nothing like a good shore lunch.
Never traveled into the city. I hear it's relatively cosmopolitan for a city of its size (113,000). Coming from Montreal, you may see it differently, though ;-)
Absolutely beautiful country.

az
October 17th, 2006, 04:56 PM
The Kingston General Hospital is surrounded by Queen's university, does that count?

And yes, it is a beautiful place to live.

Brunellus
October 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
The Kingston General Hospital is surrounded by Queen's university, does that count?

And yes, it is a beautiful place to live.
close enough. I very nearly ended up going to McGill for undergrad--ended up elsewhere instead--and ended up having at least one grad school friend from McGill. He told a lot of McGill/Queens' rivalry stories.

Chonnawonga
March 28th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Anyone still reading this thread? I just moved to Kingston a little while ago.

az, my girlfriend is a Queen's med student, so she spends a lot of time around KGH.

herbster
March 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm probably an hour or more away?

az
March 28th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Welcome to Canada's first capital!

The sushi is remarkably good here, if you know where to look...

Chonnawonga
March 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM
az: Sushi, eh? Where should I go? I live right downtown, so anything around there is walking distance for me.

herbster: Which way? Cornwall? Smith's Falls? Port Hope?

freebeer
March 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Welcome to Canada's first capital!

pfft.. next you'll be telling us Kingston invented hockey. :D

herbster
March 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
az: Sushi, eh? Where should I go? I live right downtown, so anything around there is walking distance for me.

herbster: Which way? Cornwall? Smith's Falls? Port Hope?

I'm closer to Toronto. I just checked mapquest, it said about 3 hours from my house to Kingston. With my crazy driving, probably 2 :D

ODF
March 29th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Since it's on my way to toronto ... I know it's in the middle of nowhere =)

Looks simple and calm.

az
March 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Discover Japan on Princess street. Right in front of The Beer Store.

pfft.. next you'll be telling us Kingston invented hockey. :D

No, Kingston invented Don Cherry.

freebeer
March 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
No, Kingston invented Don Cherry.

:D

Ah. So an apology is in order, then. :D

herbster
March 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Haha, definitely!! A written letter would do just fine.

Ivanat
June 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Kingston. Where would I go to obtain an ID card? I don't have a drives license..so just a simple generic one will do.

Cheers

RiceMonster
June 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
My sister goes to Queens. It's a nice University and Kingston is a nice city.

Chonnawonga
June 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Ivanat,

Welcome to the neighbourhood! From what I understand, the gov't of Ontario doesn't (yet) offer a generic ID card. Are you new to Ontario? To Canada? What brings you here? A passport or student card or something might be the best you can aim for without a driver's licence, sadly.

original_jamingrit
June 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Those new types of health cards should serve as picture/ID.

Ivanat
June 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I haven't signed up for the health card yet.

Ivanat
June 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Ivanat,

Welcome to the neighbourhood! From what I understand, the gov't of Ontario doesn't (yet) offer a generic ID card. Are you new to Ontario? To Canada? What brings you here? A passport or student card or something might be the best you can aim for without a driver's licence, sadly.

moved from BC with my family..i don't have a passport. My student card is still BC.

sryk
June 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
not really from there but near

Chonnawonga
June 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ivanat: a health card should do the trick, but you have to be here for three months before it's valid. That said, they will issue you one, picture and all, right away: you just can't use it yet.

The health card office is at 1055 Princess Street, and they're open M-F 8:30-5:00. You'll need to bring some documents. More information is here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.html

Alternatively, you could get a G1 (learner's) license. That'll cost you $100 and be valid for five years. You have to write a test, and it takes them a few weeks to mail you the fancy card, although you can get a paper temporary license right away.

I hope that helps!

LegoAddict
December 17th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm from Kingston too, moved a few years ago. Great town. I'm trying to start up a LUG at KCVI.

billzeeabob
June 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I have been a ubuntu fan for about two weeks now.... I have ditched windows on all my home computers and I am looking how to switch over our server at work... SBS 2003 with Exchange Server and BlackBerry Enterprise Server... BES is the problem.

Anyway, I am located in Kingston Ontario too. Anyone interested in getting together to talk ubuntu/linux send me a PM