PDA

View Full Version : Request for Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3

Seatux
April 18th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I seen firefox 1.0.3 out for some time and i had my Windows machine updated to it. As usual, there are no debian packs going around. So there...

NeoChaosX
April 18th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I'd love to see a 1.0.3 backport too. Has some security fixes and improved pop-up blocking.

Burgundavia
April 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM
The security fixes will be backported. I don't know about the pop-up blocking.

Corey

Virtual DarKness
April 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I'd like to have this backported too :)

bye,
Giovanni.

Bob D.
April 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
jdong won't have to backport 1.0.3. The Ubuntu devs will do this since it is a security release. 9 bugs fixed, 3 critical: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html

Bob

jdong
April 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM
jdong won't have to backport 1.0.3. The Ubuntu devs will do this since it is a security release. 9 bugs fixed, 3 critical: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html

Bob

No bob, not necessarily. Ubuntu may or may not backport the security fixes (ONLY), not provide us with 1.0.3...... I will make a 1.0.3 backport ASAP.

For example, look at Warty (FF 0.9.3) -- how many security issues does that have? ;)

Bob D.
April 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
That's interesting...what made me think so was how fast the devs made 1.0.2 available. But, thinking about it, that was *prior* to Hoary being released.

I stand (well, sit) corrected. :smile:

Bob

wolovids
April 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM
For example, look at Warty (FF 0.9.3) -- how many security issues does that have? ;)

That is exactly what I was thinking! They probably should have upgraded Firefox in Warty, however there were numerous changes from 0.9.3 -> 0.10 -> 1.0. Firefox was still in development and thus such a large upgrade could have introduced many negative outcomes and would have required a lot of testing. That's probably why they just put the upgrade in Hoary.

We'll see if Canonical thinks the upgrade from 1.0.2 -> 1.0.3 is minor enough to warrant a security update. I hope!

jdong
April 18th, 2005, 04:01 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=24306

We were talking about that in this security forum thread.

I'm pro-Fedora when it comes to minor updates, and that's why I started Backports :)

jdong
April 19th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Patching Ubuntu .diff.gz for 1.0.2 against 1.0.3 fails due to a few rejected hunks. I'll have to work at it a bit more....

Deusiah
April 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks very much for doing this jdong, it's very much appreciated here. The backports project is great! Why on earth Ubuntu have to copy the Debian stance on upgrades I'll never know :-?

denzilla
April 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks very much for doing this jdong, it's very much appreciated here. The backports project is great! Why on earth Ubuntu have to copy the Debian stance on upgrades I'll never know :-?

So damn true!

vassalle
April 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
any news on the firefox 1.03 ?

Turin Turambar
April 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Just wondering, why don't you install (or perform upgrade) Firefox 1.0.3 debian package, available on packages.debian.org?
I don't quite understand this backport project...aside from the fact that you cannot download from packages.debian.org in synaptic/apt-get, what else do you get?

DirtDawg
April 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Speaking of Firefox 1.03, on my windoze machine I've noticed it doesn't always stop running when I exit the program. This was never a problem before 1.02 or so. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

Turin Turambar
April 24th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Just wondering, why don't you install (or perform upgrade) Firefox 1.0.3 debian package, available on packages.debian.org?
I don't quite understand this backport project...aside from the fact that you cannot download from packages.debian.org in synaptic/apt-get, what else do you get?

Got it. I just tried to install firefox 1.0.3. I did install it with a success, but I entered into dependancy hell, so I had to manually reinstall packages from ubuntu CD as Synaptic didn't want to reinstall it.

Alex4R
April 24th, 2005, 03:23 AM

You are right, but 0.9.3 doesn't support some of my favorite extensions. This is one of the reasons why I upgraded to Hoary. Also, I think if you go to http://www.mozilla.org, you can download 1.0.3 and install all of the files in a remote directory, then delete everything out of the /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox folder and copy all of the files from the remote directory into /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox it should work. It did for me.

jdong
April 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Alright, while I was away on a 4-day vacation (excuuuuuse me ;)), it seems like Debian has a Firefox 1.0.3 package.

I'll proceed to make the backport :)

panickedthumb
April 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Nice :) Hopefully this one won't have the weird lockup problems (yes I did start experiencing those).

XDevHald
April 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
When I installed 1.0.3 the .sh in the /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox dir, it installed it but turned it into an xapplication to where if you double click on firefox it'll say display or run in terminal or just run, now I did install this before a few days ago and it worked just fine from the installer-bin but not sure where I went wrong on installing it now compared to then...

Turin Turambar
April 25th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Here's what happened to me: I installed both Firefox 1.0.3 and Gnome FF support, debian packages. However, they needed some lib6, libfont1 or so files... Problem is because on Ubuntu they are older than required...
When I installed new libraries, system reported 4 or so broken packages - because some Ubuntu programs require the exact version of lib6, not newer or older... then I had to install everything again (from Ubuntu CD) with dpkg...

So it's not an easy task as it first seemed.

poofyhairguy
April 25th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks is advance Jdong.