PDA

View Full Version : onboard seg fault through nx

frafu
October 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Hello,

I have a remote celeronbox with onboard on it.

When I launch onboard on the desktop forwarded with vnc, there is no problem.

However when I launch onboard on the desktop forwarded with nx from nomachine, nothing happens: onboard does not appear. So I tried launching it in the terminal, and I get the following:

frafu@UbuntuDesktop:~$ onboard
Error getting keyboard geometry info.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
frafu@UbuntuDesktop:~$ onboard &
[1] 19420
frafu@UbuntuDesktop:~$ Error getting keyboard geometry info.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[1]+ Exit 139 onboard
frafum@UbuntuDesktop:~$

This problem already was present in dapper; yesterday I upgraded to edgy and the problem is still there.

In this forum, there is another thread that might be related. Here it is. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270457)

If I can do anything to narrow down the problem, don't hesitate to ask.

frafu

t0rtois3
October 17th, 2006, 08:51 PM
The problem is when onboard tries to get your keyboard layout from the xserver. NX runs the xserver in an odd way in order to work. A possible work around would be to run onboard on the machine locally or over vnc, open the settings dialog and click personalise layout. onboard then creates a new layout identical to your current one. Select that and then run onboard in NX.

Onboard reads the layout from a file this way and shouldn't try to ask the xserver for it.

There might be other problems though. I'll try and test and hopefully debug it some time.

frafu
October 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the workaround: I copied the layout with vnc as you suggested and now onboard starts up also in nx.

frafu