PDA

View Full Version : whoa...automatic install of flash in edgy...

user1397
October 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM
sorry if this is old news, or it sounds retarted that im this excited, but when i went to a flash website in firefox 2 in edgy, i clicked on the missing plugin thing, followed the steps, and it installed it perfectly! i never thought they could make it that easy, it's just like windows now. i dont remember being able to do this in breezy or dapper.

detgar
October 16th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I was able to do this in both breezy and dapper, on some days the installation would work, on others it wouldn't.

LMP900
October 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Could it be that the site you visited required Flash 7 so it installed perfectly, while in the past it was trying to install Flash 8 or 9 therefore resulting in a failed installation?

I honestly have no idea, since I always use the manual install.

aysiu
October 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM
It happened in Dapper. That's how I created the first part of this tutorial (at the time, I hadn't yet upgraded to Edgy):
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flashubuntu

user1397
October 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
huh, i guess it wasn't that much of a new thing. but still, thats pretty awesome, the fact that you can do it just like in windows (which sorry to say, is easy when it comes to the flash plugin)

maniacmusician
October 17th, 2006, 11:56 PM
this gets me thinking, whats the status of flash 9? last i heard it was *about* to go beta.