PDA

View Full Version : First working release of my little project

orlox
October 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I have made the first working release of my first project on sourceforge. It's simple program writen in python called kika that serves to proccess text files according to patterns that are specified through an xml file. The projects home page is:

kika.sourceforge.net (http://kika.sourceforge.net)

And the sourceforge page (from where it can be downloaded)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kika/

On the projects home page there is also a description, and some example files to use with the python script.
Id be pleased to receive any kind of opinion on the project, like critics, ideas, or questions of any kind :)

orlox
October 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
bump!

doesn't anyone have an opinion on this?
Or even someone who tells me this software isn't really usefull??

I just need some feedback to know if this is worth the effort...

TheMono
October 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Had a look. What applications for this did you intend? It seems to be the sort of thing which would be very time saving - if you knew exactly what could be done with it.

What usage case would you suggest?

orlox
October 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM
As a first intention I planned it for use in latex, as the example tex file I put at the home page of the project.
Other use I thought for it, was to work with large amounts of experimental data stored in a text file in columns, so you could rearrenge the order of the colums, the separation, or also, perform numerical operations on them (like, to take column three and subtract column four from it.This functionality has not been implemented yet).
Another use I had thought for it, was to create html tables from plain text data, but I still have to solve how to do this efficciently because it causes conflicts with the xml parsing...

And that's pretty much what i've thinked about it. I guess that another uses can also be given to it....

DoctorMO
October 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
oooh, could be a really nice text spreadsheet processor.

orlox
October 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
oooh, could be a really nice text spreadsheet processor.

yes, that's one of the things I intend the program to be

mozetti
October 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
With the recent release of Google Docs & Spreadsheets, maybe one option would be an uploader, or something to format the text correctly so it can be easily imported into any spreadsheet program.

Just something that came to mind, since one of the main purposes sounds alot like something spreadsheets already do.

DoctorMO
October 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM
this would work on many spreadsheet type files though and even non sheet files.

I'll have to have a play with it.

orlox
October 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
But there are instances where spreadsheets are not a good solution when analizing data that can have several hundreds of thousands of lines...

I study astronomy, and files of this kind are found often, and to analize them you work with programs that use the text files with the data directly. Often it happens that the text files are not in a format that can be readily used by these programs, or sometimes, you need to perform the same operations on similar data before analizing it. The idea of the software (in relation to this particular usage) is to save time from this tasks that must be repeated frequently.

But this is just a particular use that I see in the program...