PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Keyring - Whats the point?

chrismyers
October 15th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Can anyone explain whats the point of the Gnome keyring?

I know its for security, but how far do we have to go?

I find that I log into my system & then I then have to type in my password to access Network Manager (& Evolution, I believe).

Presumably, if someone had compromised my password to log on to my system, then they allready have access to my data?

Would it be possible to bypass Gnome Keyring & should I (or shouldn't I) even try?

Cheers :-k

Dr. Nick
October 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Not sure what all keyring controls, but if I recall it can be used to store gpg keys. Basically with a gpg key you could make a "key" and encrypt all outgoing mail, for anyone to read that mail they would need that
key to unencrypt it.

I think thats correct and that Im not confusing 2 things here.

Alot of people set their system to autologin so that cant always be trusted to much with keeping people out.

.t.
October 15th, 2006, 10:46 PM
It stores passwords and the like, encrypted. It uses GPG, and so can do things like encrypt outgoing mail from Evolution. It also is used by the GNOME NetworkManager applet to store your network information. It's a centralised, secure, data store; I guess.

prizrak
October 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM
The Gnome keyring is simply a way to hold encrypted passwords. No more no less. You can use your user password as the encryption key or you can choose a different one. The keyring is used by NM to encrypt your WAP key (as opposed to plain text), which is why you need the password. The new version of NM doesn't ask for a password.

.t.
October 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
It is more. It can be used to hold pretty much any encrypted text.

prizrak
October 16th, 2006, 12:26 AM
It is more. It can be used to hold pretty much any encrypted text.

I'm not sure if that was the intent, but yeah my bad.

jdong
October 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I think there's a way to get Gnome keyring to use PAM authentication, so that a login suffices as enough clearance to unlock the keyring.

zenwhen
October 16th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I think there's a way to get Gnome keyring to use PAM authentication, so that a login suffices as enough clearance to unlock the keyring.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187874&highlight=nm-applet+keyring

You are right. Here is how to get around it.

I made a checkinstall deb that has worked for me on a few systems.

Install it like this:

wget http://zenwhen.com/webdav/pam-keyring_0.0.8-1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i pam-keyring_0.0.8-1_i386.deb

Then be sure do do these steps:

cd /etc/pam.d
sudo gedit gdm
Mine looks like:

#%PAM-1.0
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth required pam_env.so
@include common-auth
@include common-account
session required pam_limits.so
@include common-session
@include common-password
## Added so that NetworkManager doesn't keep asking for Keyring password.
## relies on having same password to keyring as login password.
auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
session optional pam_keyring.so

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ADD THE ABOVE LINES TO THE END OF THE GDM FILE

After that, reboot, and no password. BIG Thanks Jon Nettleton for getting this out!

As I mentioned in the comments in gdm file, this relies on having the password of the default keyring the same as your login password. ENJOY!

This worked for me and I dont ever see the password requests.

prizrak
October 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Yes it is possible (and I have followed the howto that zenwhen linked to). There are some issues however, if you do auto login it won't work and you will need to put the password in anyway. I think we need hardware based authentication options. Most new machines have card readers so it would be nice to just have some kind of a key residing on a flash card that will be used as both user authentication and keyring decryption (could hold more than one key too).

chrismyers
October 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Gentlemen.

I hope Edgy has the latest version of Network Manager...

Either that, or I'll be installing it from source. :D