PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Compile VICE in Ubuntu

K.Mandla
October 15th, 2006, 09:27 PM
CHICKENHEADS UNITE!

If this picture hits a warm spot in your heart, this howto is for you!

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/5303/screenshotgianadk6.jpg

If you think this is the way a computer should look when you turn it on, this howto is for you!

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/9987/screenshotstartupjg6.jpg

If this was the first program you ever wrote, this howto is for you!

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/3483/screenshothelloxk7.jpg

That's right, friends and neighbors. It's time to stop fragging and start playing. This howto will walk you through compiling VICE -- the Versatile Commodore Emulator -- in current Ubuntu releases. An hour from now, you'll be playing all the old classics, just like you used to in the good old days. Best of all, you can cut load times, bump up the speed and add gobs of memory at no cost. It's the dream C64 you always wanted!

If you want more information about VICE, how it works or how to contribute, start here (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/). VICE isn't anything new -- C64 emulators on the whole have been around for about a decade or more, in varying forms. VICE is just one of the oldest and well-established.

By the way, you're not limited to the glory days of the C64. VICE includes emulators for the VIC-20, the C128 and a variety of other Commodore-era hardware. It's like having an entire computer museum at your disposal!

This howto has been tested on

a squeaky-clean Dapper Xubuntu installation on a dual Xeon 2.8Ghz machine,
a multitude of Ubuntu installations as far back as 6.06., and all the way to the current release, all on a 1Ghz Pentium III Dell Inspiron 8000,
a 32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 installation on a 2.0Ghz AMD64 machine, and
a cluttered Edgy Openbox 3.3.1 install on a 1Ghz Pentium III Dell Optiplex.

It worked perfectly each time, and with some luck it might work on other architectures (I don't have the hardware to be sure; reply here if it works for you, or even if it doesn't).

(A side note: I tried compiling this from the Xubuntu 7.04 live CD once, and while it probably would have worked fine, I ran out of memory before I could complete checkinstall. If you have more than 512Mb in your machine, you might be able to compile and run VICE from a live CD. I don't know why I mention that, except to suggest that it could possibly be done.)

I should note that there are VICE packages in the repositories; click here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/vice) for a list of each version available to each release. But for copyright reasons, they're supplied without the kernel ROMs, which means you'll have to find them, download them and install them from elsewhere. Without those ROMs, the VICE emulators don't work. If you decide to try it anyway, take a look at the readme files that are installed in /usr/lib/vice/docs when you install the VICE package. The ROMs are out there, but the legwork and experimentation is up to you. In the end, it might be easier to just compile. ;)

(Note: This howto was originally written for version 1.20, but newer versions have since been released. Where you see 1.20 in this howto, please substitute the new version number.)

What you'll need

An Internet connection
The latest source version (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/#download) of VICE
The build-essential and libxaw7-dev packages

Quick and dirty: For advanced users

Update and upgrade, if you want
Download VICE tarball; extract
Install build-essential and libxaw7-dev
Configure, make, make install (or checkinstall)

Step-by-step: For beginners

1. Download some stuff

There are three things that you'll need before you can get started: The VICE tarball (which is to say, the VICE source code), the build-essential package and the libxaw7-dev package.

First things first. Go to the VICE home page and download the most recent version.

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/#download

Download the "source distribution" to your computer -- the one at the top of the list. Don't try the other releases; they're for other operating systems and other architectures.

When it's downloaded, open a terminal window. Type this command in the box:

sudo aptitude install build-essential libxaw7-dev
That will install the packages you need to compile VICE. The download can take a little while; it's about 15Mb or so (I forget exactly). If you don't get all the packages, or if you skip this step, you end up with errors when you try to compile VICE.

2. Extract the tarball

Now navigate to the VICE source package you downloaded. Then type in this command:

tar -xvf vice*
If you want, you can add -C directory-where-you-want-to-install-vice. For example, I like to put all my games into a folder called (of all things) "games" inside my home directory. For me, the command is tar -xvf vice* -C ~/games.

You can also open XArchiver and extract it that way. ;)

3. Compile

Next, navigate your terminal window into the VICE folder. The next three steps are short commands that take a long time.

./configure
Now wait. A bunch of stuff will stream by. This took me about four or five minutes on a 1Ghz machine.

As a side note, it's worth checking the configure options, because they may or may not be useful to you. Try .configure --help | less and see what applies. Some experimentation has given me this, which I find is best for my hardware. If you're new to compiling programs, you should probably stick with the plain ./configure command.

./configure --disable-realdevice --enable-ethernet --disable-ipv6 --enable-fullscreen --without-esd --without-oss --without-resid --with-x
The next step is the actual compilation.

make
Now wait. More stuff will stream by. This took close to 10 minutes on a 1Ghz machine.

Finally,

sudo make install
Wait one more time. More stuff will stream by. This took about seven or eight minutes on a 1Ghz machine. We need the sudo command here because it's going to put the final VICE commands in /usr/bin and other directories outside your home folder. For that, we need permission.

4. Uninstallation

To remove VICE, return to the directory where you compiled it and give make the uninstall command.

sudo make uninstall
Again you need sudo there, because it will remove things from directories elsewhere on the system.

The End

Optional Director's Cut Ending ;)

As lukew suggested below, it might be preferable to use checkinstall over the final step listed above -- sudo make install. The benefit is that checkinstall creates a .deb package, which makes it easier to get rid of VICE if you decide 1980s-era computing wasn't as great as it was cracked up to be, or if something goes wrong and you just want to try it over again.

checkinstall is in the universe repository, so you'll have to make sure you have that repository enabled (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories). Install it with this command, which you can combine with the installation command listed above, in step 1.

sudo aptitude install checkinstall
When you reach the last command listed above -- sudo make install -- use checkinstall instead.

sudo checkinstall
The first thing checkinstall will want to know is if you want a default set of package docs.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
Should I create a default set of package docs? [y]:
I answer yes. I see no harm in it.

Next, checkinstall will ask for a description of the package.

Please write a description for the package.
End your description with an empty line or EOF.
>>
You can fill that with whatever you like; I just use ...

VICE Versatile Commodore Emulator v1.20
When you're done, enter a blank line.

After that, there's an array of descriptors for the package.

**** Debian package creation selected ***

This package will be built according to these values:

0 - Maintainer: [ kmandla@cc99p01 ]
1 - Summary: [ VICE Versatile Commodore Emulator v1.20 ]
2 - Name: [ vice ]
3 - Version: [ 1.20 ]
4 - Release: [ 1 ]
5 - License: [ GPL ]
6 - Group: [ checkinstall ]
7 - Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 - Source location: [ vice-1.20 ]
9 - Alternate source location: [ ]
10 - Requires: [ ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue:
You can modify those if you like; I just use the defaults.

The next step takes a while and a lot of messages will spin by. If all goes well (and it should), the next message will be this one, or one like it:

Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

/home/kmandla/downloads/vice-1.20/vice_1.20-1_i386.deb

You can remove it from your system anytime using:

dpkg -r vice

Checkinstall has finished its work and left you with a .deb file, and installed it for you. If you decide in the future to dump VICE, you can uninstall it with the command you see above -- with a slight addition.

sudo dpkg -r vice
It's worth noting that if you don't use checkinstall with sudo, the package creation will continue, but the installation will fail. In that case you can still install VICE with
sudo dpkg -i vice*.debor by double-clicking on the .deb file. (I used the splat there in case the version number changes, or you're using a different architecture.)

And that's about it. Unless you ran into compiling errors, you should be able to enter x64 into a terminal window and the VICE C64 emulator will spring into view, like a ninja!

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/9326/screenshothireskb0.th.jpg (http://img290.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshothireskb0.jpg)

If you're more interested in the other emulators, take a glance back at the VICE home page (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/) to see which machines are represented, and how to invoke them.

As far as getting games or programs or old disk images, you're on your own. A quick Google search will no doubt turn up hundreds of thousands of pages offering games from 20 and 25 years ago. But since most of that material is still copyrighted, it's not included in this howto.

Have fun!

P.S.: If you really want to wallow in the nostalgia, take a spin past Bo Zimmerman's fantastic Web pages (http://zimmers.net/index.html) dedicated to the No. 1 home computer of 25 years ago.

Thread history:

Edited, 06/10/15: I double-checked, and both build-essential and libxaw7-dev are within the main repositories, so I removed the part about enabling multiverse and universe. :D

Edited, 06/12/22: I added the checkinstall method at the suggestion of lukew ... which is really a better way to do it.

Edited, 07/03/17: VICE is at 1.21 now, and Feisty has 1.20 in the repos. Version 1.21 compiles in the same way as the previous version.

Edited, 07/04/13: The VICE source code needs a very easy edit to get it to work under the new libx11 packages. I added a link to Compyx's post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2427105#post2427105), which explains the what-where-when-why-how of getting a happy ending.

Edited, 07/08/16: VICE has updated to 1.22, which fixes the aforementioned incompatibility with libx11. I've removed notes in the howto that talk about editing the source code, since that's no longer necessary.

Edited, 07/10/26: The tutorial works for 1.22 under Gutsy, so I've edited it to reflect that.

Edited, 08/01/25: I added notes about uninstalling VICE with make.

Edited, 08/04/29: The tutorial works for 1.22 under Hardy now.

Edited, 08/07/29: Version 2.0 of VICE worked for me under 8.04.

Edited, 08/11/03: The instructions work for version 2.0 of VICE in Ubuntu 8.10.

Edited, 08/12/25: Updated to the Sourceforge web site, and for the 2.1 release.

Edited, 09/04/30: The tutorial works fine under Ubuntu 9.04, with or without the Gnome UI.

Edited, 09/12/31: Updated to Ubuntu 9.10 with version 2.2, and all is working as expected.

Edited, 10/05/13: Updated to Ubuntu 10.04 with the short fix described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9253413#post9253413), but otherwise requires nothing different for version 2.2.

Edited, 10/11/04: Updated to Ubuntu 10.10. The fix mentioned for 10.04 is still needed for 10.10. And occasionally, checkinstall will finish with errors. If that is the case, stay with sudo make install.

rcmiv
October 25th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Nicely done.

Thanks!

-rcmiv

dualtone
November 1st, 2006, 03:53 AM
HELP!!!!:--

matthew@Bob3:~/Downloads/vice-1.20$ x64
*** VICE Version 1.19 ***

Welcome to x64, the free portable C64 Emulator.

Current VICE team members:
A. Boose, D. Lem, T. Biczo, A. Dehmel, T. Bretz, A. Matthies,
M. Pottendorfer, M. Brenner, S. Trikaliotis, M. van den Heuvel.

This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
See the "About VICE" command for more info.

X11: Found 24bit/TrueColor visual.
X11: Using private colormap.
C64MEM: Error - Couldn't load kernal ROM `kernal'.
Machine initialization failed.

Exiting...

K.Mandla
November 1st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Do you have the VICE package from the repositories installed? It looks like you're starting up version 1.19 when you give the x64 command.

Try

sudo aptitude remove --purge vice
to get rid of 1.19, then you'll probably have to recompile 1.20. Let us know how it goes. :-D

dualtone
November 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
That did it! Thank you!!! :-)

lazyart
November 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
SWEEEEEEEEET! I can play those games I wrote for Compute!'s Gazette all over again! :D

BoyOfDestiny
November 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Cool. I compiled vice 1.20 a little while ago, turns out it has a gnome ui if you'd rather use that than xaw.

to see the options
./configure --help

for gnome ui
./configure --enable-gnomeui

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9527/ubuntuc64zn1.th.png (http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ubuntuc64zn1.png)

P.S. The double size thing is an option in ~/.vice/vicerc. Also, audacious has a great sid player (ported from xmms.) Just thought I'd plug my favorite player, since it handles more than mp3 and oggs :)

McQuaid
November 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Does this emulator have a good fullscreen support yet? I remember trying it a couple of years back and it had dga and x11 modes, but it was difficult getting to to stretch, they definitely weren't using hardware overlay.

Has it got any better? I checked frodo's site and they announced an sdl version but I think development has ceased.

sphere02
November 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
how to start with gnome-ui??

K.Mandla
November 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
how to start with gnome-ui??
You might have to compile it with the gnomeui option to start up with that UI.

I tried it with the --with-xaw3d UI option, and it's kind of clunky when compared to the standard libxaw7-dev interface. You need the xaw3dg-dev package for that, if you want to try it -- not the libxaw7-dev one.

gendel
December 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
oh my god, thank you! have some unfinished bussiness with turrican ;)

gorkur
December 12th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Nice howto :)

There's just one thing bugging me. Is there no way to get it to work fullscreen?

K.Mandla
December 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I'll have to check up on that. I don't believe it will jump to true fullscreen, but I haven't really tried. You might look over the VICE home page and see if it's mentioned in their documentation.

Steve Grace
December 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Thank you very much for this information! I compiled and installed VICE 1.20 with no problems. :-D

I'm using Ubuntu (GNOME), so I used ./configure --enable-gnomeui as listed above.

At first, I had issues with sound -- the sound wasn't keeping up and seemed to be missing voices. I fixed that by changing two settings on the Settings>Sound settings menu:

Sound device name: esd
Suspend time: 1 sec suspend

I left all other sound settings at their default values. These changes seem to have fixed the problem!

K.Mandla
December 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Cool! I'm glad you liked it. I have had some problems with sound emulation too, and they seemed linked to the speed of the processor, curiously.

I don't remember enough to say exactly what settings I changed, but I think yours will probably do the trick. Thanks!

lukew
December 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
May I add that it emulates the whole peripheral of Comodores including the the C16/Plus 4 emulator as well!!!

Going to go back and play Treasure Island and Fire Ant!!

Also ......

./configure
make
checkinstall

Also .... initally after installing the deb package i tried to run and got a can not find /user*** (cant quite remember ). I uninstalled. When I tried installing again it worked. Not sure if a reboot / reinstall worked but thought it was worth my two pence.

Also .... I could not get this to compiler with gnonme gui.

Thanks

Luke

lukew
December 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Anyone ran xplus4?

Everything works ok but i have to press the buttons several times to move. For example to move right in have to press the right key tonnes of times. Everything works ok in x64....

Thanks

Luke

lukew
December 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Anyone ran xplus4?

Everything works ok but i have to press the buttons several times to move. For example to move right in have to press the right key tonnes of times. Everything works ok in x64....

Thanks

Luke

Hay if you use the custerom keys everything is ok.

wersdfxcv

K.Mandla
December 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM
May I add that it emulates the whole peripheral of Comodores including the the C16/Plus 4 emulator as well!!!
You're right! I forgot to mention that. So all you VIC-20 and C-128 fans can join in the fun. :D

Also ......

./configure
make
checkinstall

That's actually a really good idea. When I first wrote the howto I thought I should stick to configure-make-sudo make install because it might seem familiar to someone who was new to Linux. But to be honest, I think checkinstall is a better way of doing things. Thanks! :mrgreen:

lukew
December 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
You're right! I forgot to mention that. So all you VIC-20 and C-128 fans can join in the fun. :D

That's actually a really good idea. When I first wrote the howto I thought I should stick to configure-make-sudo make install because it might seem familiar to someone who was new to Linux. But to be honest, I think checkinstall is a better way of doing things. Thanks! :mrgreen:

No Probs!!

Trying to find a way to reconfiogure the keys so I can use my X-Arcade Joystics!!

Any ideas anyone? I did the key dump but that did not produce anything intuitive. Think I might have to go and Read The Functional Manual.....

Luke

K.Mandla
December 22nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
I've added the checkinstall method, which lukew suggested, and I prefer really. Cheers! :KS

samwyse
February 5th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Any idea how to get it compile with --enable-ffmpeg?

It says:

checking ffmpeg/avformat.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/avformat.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/avformat.h... no
So I guess I'm missing something.

ice60
February 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM
wow, that's so cool 8) that was the first program i ever wrote, and i haven't really advanced much since :( maybe nowadays i'd add an ; at the end of line 10 to make the whole screen fill up lol

i'm going to try it out thanks :lolflag:

K.Mandla
February 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Any idea how to get it compile with --enable-ffmpeg?

It says:

checking ffmpeg/avformat.h usability... no
checking ffmpeg/avformat.h presence... no
checking for ffmpeg/avformat.h... no
So I guess I'm missing something.
No guarantees, but I'm thinking maybe there are ffmpeg development packages that you'll need to install before you compile it for ffmpeg support. Strangely enough, the package search page (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=ffmpeg&searchon=names&subword=1&version=edgy&release=all) isn't much help this time.

samwyse
February 8th, 2007, 01:55 AM
There's no ffmpeg-dev package in the repos, I guess I have compile it too.

K.Mandla
February 8th, 2007, 03:05 AM
The Vice page links to this one for Linux ffmpeg support.

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

I'm in uncharted territory with that one, though. Let us know how it goes.

lukew
February 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Has anyone managed to get this working in Edgy?

K.Mandla I know changed your post to say it works in Edgy but every time I do the "make" my machine completey locks up!

Has anyone got a deb file they could share? I would much apreciated it.

Thanks.

Luke

K.Mandla
February 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yup, works great in Edgy. Or did you mean Feisty?

lukew
February 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I can not compile it, mu machine locks up. If I remember rightly i strugled under dapper as well. I stupidly did not keep the deb file. Could someone please post one?

Thanks

Luke

Robin T Cox
February 13th, 2007, 08:03 PM
You can set the emulator window to double size, which is approx (as I recall) the size of a C64 screen.

See:
http://www.viceteam.org/vice_6.html#SEC45

lukew
February 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I have managed to compile this on my dads machine. Not sure why mine was locking up! Learnt my lesson and kept the deb file this time!!

Luke

K.Mandla
February 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Cool. Strange that it was locking up, though. ...

lukew
February 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Cool. Strange that it was locking up, though. ...

If I remember rightly it locked up doing this under dapper as well.....

I think I might have used:

./configure --bindir=/usr/bin

Who knows.....

Luke

K.Mandla
March 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM
About a week ago the VICE (http://www.viceteam.org/) team released version 1.21, and judging by the changelog (http://www.viceteam.org/plain/NEWS) there are a lot of new tweaks, not least of them being "fullscreen mode based on XRandR."

I haven't had a chance to recompile it yet, but I should have time within the next few days.

It's also worth noting that Feisty has 1.20 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/otherosfs/vice) in the repos, but I don't think 1.21 will make it in time for the full release next month.

Edit, 07/03/20: VICE 1.21 compiles on Edgy in the exact same way as the howto describes. So there haven't been any changes to the instructions. ;)

http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07123/2007-03-20-215445_388x383_scrot.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs413&d=07123&f=2007-03-20-215445_388x383_scrot.png)

Have fun!

eddie303
April 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I have a huge problem. I managed to compile and install, and tried the stock version before, but I get no screen image, only a black window, and the message: XCreateImage failed. I have an on-board Intel 910GM video card, and I have got this problem with uae too. Somebody can help me?

Compyx
April 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I have a similar problem, it looks like yesterdays update of xorg-server borked Vice somehow. I also get the 'XCreateImage failed' message when running x64. Both the binary 1.20 package and 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 built from source have this problem.
Hopefully another update of xorg-server will fix this...

eddie303
April 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have a similar problem, it looks like yesterdays update of xorg-server borked Vice somehow. I also get the 'XCreateImage failed' message when running x64. Both the binary 1.20 package and 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 built from source have this problem.
Hopefully another update of xorg-server will fix this...

Nice, maybe if we are more with the problem, the chance is bigger to be solved. Interesting enough, Frodo works, but I don't really like it.

Flutterby
April 7th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have the same problem as the previous two posters.... help?

Sir Nose
April 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Same problem here.

Sir Nose
April 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Also, it might be useful to include some optimizations as VICE is one of the more cpu-intensive programs.

CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O5 -DNO_REGPARM" ./configure

K.Mandla
April 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to look at this lately; I'm going to try it in the next few hours and see if I get the same errors.

K.Mandla
April 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Also, it might be useful to include some optimizations as VICE is one of the more cpu-intensive programs.

CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O5 -DNO_REGPARM" ./configure
Good idea. If you're using another architecture than an i686, you might want to look up the CFLAGS that are appropriate for your CPU.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

If you're not sure what CPU you use, you could try

cat /proc/cpuinfo

I believe the "model name" category will give you the processor you're using, and you can use CFLAGS that are specific to your chip.

K.Mandla
April 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm getting the same errors in Feisty with version 1.21, and in Feisty with a deb built under Edgy.

As best I can tell, libx11 is what causes the VICE package to break.

http://www.nabble.com/Bug-418295%3A-vice-broken-by-libx11-security-update-p9896114.html

It looks like a patch is suggested there, but I won't get a chance to try it for a week or so. If anyone can try it and tell us if it works, it would be greatly appreciated.

Compyx
April 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Tried the patch, well, that is, I altered the offending lines in the source of VICE 1.21 and x64 is running a Horizon demo right now :)

What you need to change is this:

In line 123/124 of src/arch/unix/x11/xaw/uicolor.c:

im = XCreateImage(display, visual, x11ui_get_display_depth(),
ZPixmap, 0, (char *)data, 1, 1, 8, 1);
change this to:

im = XCreateImage(display, visual, x11ui_get_display_depth(),
ZPixmap, 0, (char *)data, 1, 1, 8, 0);

These same goes for line 167-169 in src/arch/unix/x11/gnome/uicolor.c, when compiling with --enable-gnomeui:

im = XCreateImage(display, GDK_VISUAL_XVISUAL(visual),
x11ui_get_display_depth(),
ZPixmap, 0, (char *)data, 1, 1, 8, 1);
change to:

im = XCreateImage(display, GDK_VISUAL_XVISUAL(visual),
x11ui_get_display_depth(),
ZPixmap, 0, (char *)data, 1, 1, 8, 0);

I had already noticed that these lines where causing the error, but didn't know how to deal with it, since I've never used X11 libraries in my code.

Now I can finally watch the Breakpoint 2007 entries, hooray!!
(I considered switching back to Gentoo because of this... I'm a C64-addict, I know :D)

eddie303
April 9th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Now I can finally watch the Breakpoint 2007 entries, hooray!!
(I considered switching back to Gentoo because of this... I'm a C64-addict, I know :D)
I'd rather think about getting a real thing. I had some sleepless nights when I was younger playing Int. Karate+. Thanks for the patch, I'll try it right away.

Compyx
April 10th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I'd rather think about getting a real thing. I had some sleepless nights when I was younger playing Int. Karate+. Thanks for the patch, I'll try it right away.

Well, I have 3 C64's, but my floppies and drives are a bit of a mess. And I prefer cross-development over working on the real deal, today's assemblers and editors (vim!) are much better than the old Turbo Assembler ;)

Flutterby
April 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Compyx, first of all, thanks for the patch. It works for me... once.

The first time after using it and running X64, things worked fine. However now on subsequent starts, I do not get a C64 screen at all; just the menu bar and the bottom line (with the fps info and such) right below it. Not even apt-get remove --purge and a reinstall (from the home-made package ) helps.

The no-screen-at-all thing on subsequent starts also happened before I used Compyx's patch, BTW.

...help please?

Compyx
April 14th, 2007, 12:59 AM
First of all, it's not my patch, the patch was mentioned by K. Mandla., I just showed how to apply the patch with a text-editor or something similar.

Anyway, this no-screen thing happened to me a lot too, I found that compiz was the cause of this, so if you're running compiz, try disabling compiz and then running x64, maybe that'll help. I'll have to investigate further, and then maybe report a bug.

K.Mandla
April 14th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Thanks, people. I tacked on a little warning to the OP, and linked to Compyx's instructions. Cheers.

Christian Johansson
May 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
I also got the black screen problem after an X11 update. I had installed VICE 1.19 from the repositories and manually downloaded and copied the ROM files to the correct place. Hmmm, it looks a bit complicated to compile yourself. Can't somebody do a compilation and put the .deb file somewhere instead so we can download and install or doesn't it work to do it that easy?

Christian Johansson
May 1st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Does anyone btw know exactly which X11 security updates that caused the problem? I have identified that libx11-6 and libx11-data were updated but I'm a bit uncertain if more was updated as well. I'm asking this because I thought I could perhaps do "Force version" in Synaptic to go back to the previous version. That seems easy to do (but risky perhaps).

Christian Johansson
May 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Sorry to spam this thread. I just saw in https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/libx11/+bug/107732 that the same X11 security update also causes problems to start Opera and the writer writes there that he has successfully downgraded libx11-6 and then it worked to start Opera. I think I will try that too and hopefully VICE will start correctly as well.

K.Mandla
May 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Did you see Compyx's fix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2427105&postcount=44)? It's a one-letter change and is very easy to do. That might work better than trying to force a downgrade, since this method is for compiling the source anyway.

OU812
June 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the how-tos on getting vice to work on debian machines (I always wondered why I couldn't get it to work). However, I am still struggling with the directions in the patch: I cannot find

In line 123/124 of src/arch/unix/x11/xaw/uicolor.c:

this file. I am runnnig xubuntu and I don't have a search feature. Thanks.

john

EDIT
The directions confused me. The file is in the tar ball and needs to be modified prior to installing. My bad.

gorkur
July 10th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I'm wondering, how can I uninstall vice if I followed these steps while compiling:

./configure
make
sudo make install

I'm getting pretty nuts here, being unable to play Turrican on my Linux box, and I have to reinstall Vice using Compyx's fix ;)

whitingx
July 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hello,

I've installed VICE through the repos but am getting the following error when running x64

*** VICE Version 1.20 ***

X11: Found 24bit visual.

DGA2: Found mode: 800x600-0.0Hz, 1

DGA2: Found mode: 640x480-0.0Hz, 2

Exiting...

I have placed the kernal rom in the correct place as specified here http://www.viceteam.org/vice_4.html#SEC23 but it is still not working.

Any help you could give or any links to good VICE guides would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mocha
July 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
For the people that are having problems with black screen output, after starting x64 right click on the black screen, go down to "VIC II settings", select "Hardware scaling". After that the familiar blue C64 BASIC screen should appear. After that you can increase the size of the window, scan lines, scaling, etc.. Don't forget to go to "Settings" - "Save settings" before you exit.

I tried this on the version from the Feisty repository, don't know if it works on the latest version.

DCMP
August 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks a lot!

I am actually using Fedora core 5 and had the same error ( XCreateImage failed ) when trying to open Vice while it worked perfectly for months.

I tried compiling vice 1.16 up to 1.21 and none wanted to compile, giving a video error having to do with missing files. This was odd as I had 1.20 up and that was running fine earlier. I followed the advice for the bugfix ( changing the 1 to a 0) and it still did not want to compile. On David (Tao)'s advice I checked if xaw3d and xaw3d dev were installed. They were not and now the newest version compiled fine.

I hope others will be helped with this information.

greets

K.Mandla
August 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I see that the Vice team has released 1.22 (http://www.viceteam.org/), and among the changes (http://www.viceteam.org/plain/NEWS) are fullscreen emulation that's supposed to work, and a fix to the annoying black screen quirk.

I'm not running Ubuntu right now (I know, it's blasphemous), but I should get a chance to recompile this within the next few days. More news at 11.

K.Mandla
August 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I recompiled 1.22 on a fresh installation of Feisty, and everything works without hand-editing the source code. You can breathe a sigh of relief now. ;)

http://xs318.xs.to/xs318/07334/2007-08-16-155515_1600x1200_scrot.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs318&d=07334&f=2007-08-16-155515_1600x1200_scrot.jpg)

I'll update the howto and remove parts about editing the source files. Cheers, fellow chickenheads! :mrgreen:

z-vap
August 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Hi all

I got mine to work also. 1-22. I compiled the regular one and the gnome-ui one.

But the gnome-ui version won't properly stay at a regular window size... it's always shrunk to the size of a pencil. I can drag the border of the window to resize it bigger, but that's annoying to do all the time.

Any ideas on a fix for that?

K.Mandla
August 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Not sure. I haven't compiled the gnome-ui one, so someone might have to experiment and give an idea.

Is there any kind of VICE configuration file that might hold screen size settings? I'm thinking of something like the .leafpad file that's made by Leafpad, and includes a height and width setting, so it returns to its former size when its restarted. Probably a long shot, but I thought I'd suggest it. :-k

z-vap
August 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM
it must have been a setting in my ~/.vice/vicerc file because I deleted it, and re-installed.

Now it's okay.

edit: and let me say, I love the gnome-ui version much better than the xaw one.

Kernel_Killer
September 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Great post. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to reminisce for a few months I'm sure. Already grabbed The Final Cartridge 3, and TASM. Now if only I had a HardSID..... scrolltext anyone? :-#

I wonder if VICE will ever add Kaillera support......

K.Mandla
October 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm going to make sure this works on Gutsy tomorrow; I can't imagine why it wouldn't, but it's always good to check. Watch this space. ;)

K.Mandla
October 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Looks like 1.22 behaves predictably under Gutsy.

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07434/2007-10-25-234304_1600x1200_scrot.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs320&d=07434&f=2007-10-25-234304_1600x1200_scrot.jpg)

I'll update the original post to include Gutsy. Cheers, fellow chickenheads! :KS

K.Mandla
November 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Shameless plug: If you care to, you might set up VICE to run as the sole application on an older system, and camouflage it to look something vaguely like the real thing.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/howto-convert-a-k6-2-into-a-c64/

Better than tossing a computer in the garbage, anyway. ;)

Hopworks
November 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I can't say enough how pleased I am to see those screen shots. I owe thanks to the VIC20, C64 and C128 for my interest in computers today.

So I compiled manually, using the awesome instructions in this thread, but I have one little problem. My keyboard doesn't work in the emulation. It works in my GNOME UI, just not in the emulation. What a let down, I really wanted to start playing around with my old CBM machine. :(
I get the starting screen, and the prompt, blinking, and that's as far as I can go.

Is there something simple I might have overlooked?

Also, and not sure how to fix this, but when I type x64, it's looking for it in /usr/bin when in fact it is in /usr/local/bin. I used checkinstall at the end of the building process as recommended.

Thanks!

Hop

EDIT: Vice 1.22 downloaded source from the recommended site.

K.Mandla
November 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Interesting. :-k I've not run into that problem before. There are keyboard settings within VICE; is there any chance you have it set to an unusual setting? Is it an international keyboard?

You might also check the .configure --help flags to see if there was something that was omitted by accident when you compiled.

Hopworks
November 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Interesting. :-k I've not run into that problem before. There are keyboard settings within VICE; is there any chance you have it set to an unusual setting? Is it an international keyboard?

You might also check the .configure --help flags to see if there was something that was omitted by accident when you compiled.

Well, I thought of that, because I did the recommended line (optional, iffy)
./configure --disable-realdevice --enable-ethernet --disable-ipv6 --enable-fullscreen --without-esd --without-oss --without-resid --with-x for the ./configure. So, I went and did it again without doing that, but maybe I should have removed everything before I compiled again??

I'm real new to this compiling from scratch, so bare with me. I was just pleased that I got as far as seeing that startup UI screen because I didn't use synaptic or other easy way to it. I'm trying to learn all I can about Linux, specifically Ubuntu. Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 Server has been everything I ever wanted from it, and this was a challenge.

So if you haven't seen that issue before, that doesn't surprise me. Chaulk it up to my bad luck on new experiences. LOL! :)

I know... :-({|= hehehe
Thanks for your time, and others that made this old dream come back alive for me.

Hop

OH, PS. Is there a thread here where people can post their VIC20/C64/C128 experiences? If not, I'd like to start one. I have many a tale to tell about my work as a kid using those wonderful machines. AND! What was the name of that apache gunship game? Was it "Apache Gunship"?? That game took up so much of my time, it actually hurt my standings in 'Trade Wars' I use to play on local BBS's, using a home-made modem. LOL

EDIT: My god, I just looked and sure enough, there is a 6510 chip still in my device cabinet. WOW! hehehehe

K.Mandla
November 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well, I thought of that, because I did the recommended line (optional, iffy)
./configure --disable-realdevice --enable-ethernet --disable-ipv6 --enable-fullscreen --without-esd --without-oss --without-resid --with-x for the ./configure.
Hmm. Maybe I should take that out. It has been working perfectly for me, but I wouldn't want that to be the cause of problems.

So, I went and did it again without doing that, but maybe I should have removed everything before I compiled again??
Yes, you should probably delete the entire folder that you decompressed from the tarball, and uncompress it for a clean start. I know you can also

make clean
to start fresh, but I sometimes suspect it's not really "cleaning" up as much as I would want. Start with a fresh folder, and try ./configure with no flags on it.

Thanks for your time, and others that made this old dream come back alive for me.
No problem! I'm sure once this little problem gets ironed out, it's going to be smooth sailing.

PS. Is there a thread here where people can post their VIC20/C64/C128 experiences? If not, I'd like to start one.
Not that I've seen, but if you wanted, you could probably start one somewhere. Link to it from here, so people know they can share their war stories there. ... :)

EDIT: My god, I just looked and sure enough, there is a 6510 chip still in my device cabinet. WOW! hehehehe
Lucky you! That might be worth a little money these days. ... :mrgreen:

ice60
November 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
thanks for the howto. i used to play pitstop 2, i ownd a copy of it, so i just installed VICE and got pitstop2.t64. is there anywhere on the internet that tells you how to run a t64 file?? i can't find it.

i can't believe every single person that's ever used VICE just knows how to run it so that's why it doesn't say anything about it on the internet :( when i played it i loaded it on a cassette recorder, but i can't do that with a *.t64

ice60
November 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM
OMG http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9456.gif

K.Mandla
November 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Heh, looks like you got it working.

Tape images should be loadable through the click menu ... I think it's "load a tape image" or something like that.

Usually I try to use disk images; I always, always hated that tape drive. :evil:

BigSilly
November 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Downloaded this off the repository (ver.1.20-2), but when I type x64 into a terminal I get -

Set fontpath: `xset fp+ /usr/lib/vice/fonts'.
*** VICE Version 1.20 ***

X11: Found 24bit visual.

Exiting...

What can I do?

K.Mandla
November 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, that error means you haven't got the kernels installed. You have to search the Web for them and put them in the proper directories. I can't help you with that.

On the other hand, you could uninstall the repository version and compile it from the source code, which will solve your problem.

naivri
December 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
hi guys

firstly, thanks for the guide, the closest I have came to linux is compiling eggdrop bots.... :/

as a proud owner of a ps3 with vice installed on it now, has anyone here got the sound to work on it? I know the sound works in Ubuntu on the PS3 a it make noises all the time, however, I cant get the sound to work in vice. If anyone drops by here who does get it to work.....help ?

I <3 my SID chip

K.Mandla
December 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Have you tried different sound settings from within VICE? It's possible the program is trying to generate sounds that are unusual for that hardware.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I don't know enough about PS3s to make a very good suggestion. :???: Sorry.

naivri
December 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
got it working

there was an alsa library of some kind missing

I made a post on the psubuntu forums explaining what I did if any PS3 owners come across this post

http://psubuntu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1740

cncox1991
December 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Thank you so much for the instructions on getting VICE up and running under Ubuntu. I only have one issue-- where do you go to configure your keyboard set? I can't seem to find it under the menu (right or left click mouse).

Frankie6502
December 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info. However I did have some issues running vice on my laptop.

The problem was mainly with the joystick options, it seemed that you couldn't define your own keyset and I couldn't get the other two keysets to work. As my laptop doesn't have a number pad I could not use that option either.

The solution I found was to run "./configure --enable-gnomeui" after making and installing there is now the option to define your own keys under Settings>Joystick settings>Define keysets

I hope this helps any laptop users like myself with this or similar problems with the joystick options. :)

K.Mandla
December 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
That is a bit annoying, isn't it? There used to be a version with customizable keypad controls; perhaps that was a Windows version I used a long time ago, but I know I did it. It would be great to be able to modify those keys again (without relying on the Gnome UI), since the number pad is usually an issue for laptop users.

K.Mandla
April 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Version 1.22 is compiling fine for me under 32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 on an AMD64 machine.

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08182/vice-shot844.png.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs226&d=08182&f=vice-shot844.png)

I've updated the guide for Hardy. Have fun!

K.Mandla
July 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
It looks like the 2.0 version of VICE will compile and run normally under Hardy.

I've updated the howto to show that. Have fun! :D

P.S.: Don't ask me why my screen is at 800x600. It's been a long afternoon. ...

K.Mandla
November 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
I built the 2.0 version of VICE under Ubuntu 8.10 and it's working fine. Which means this thread is now two years old and still works great! :D

m2.g5ru6y7s
November 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for sharing this info :). I nearly opened a new thread for compiling under 8.10.
:guitar:

billc123
November 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
hi - thanks for the instrctions.
I just installed vice 2.0 on ubuntu 8.10 (which worked great using your instructions)

I just wondered about that full screen thing though. I see a double screen, but not sure about a full screen...

K.Mandla
December 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Oh darn, I can't remember off-hand how to get the full screen going. It's an option under one of the display submenus ... I can remember seeing xrandr and another option. ... #-o

Give me a day and I think I can get an answer for you.

kosmo
December 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Since VICE 2.1 is released, if you use Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 you can check my PPA for 2.1 debs;). I would like to hear some feedback from users, so i could try to make debs better for wide-spread usefullness (if they not good enough already).

https://launchpad.net/~smoki00790/+archive

NOTE: All roms are mangled from original source, so neither .orig source nor debs packages include any of it!

K.Mandla
December 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
VICE 2.1? The home page still only shows 2.0. :???:

Or did you mean "when" it's released?

Edit: Ah, never mind. I see that it's been released, but the home page is late in being updated.

kosmo
December 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM
Probably you check this on old link http://www.viceteam.org/ , but new link we should use is http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/ .

billc123
December 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
i noticed the changelog says...

"- XRandR fullscreen implemented"

has anyone been able to get fullscreen with 2.1?

kosmo
December 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
As i know, xrander is implemented as of 2.0, but now that is official and works better. To go to fullscreen (i can go:)), example for C64: just first checked Settings>VIC-II settings>Hardware Scaling. For this to work, 'gtk2' version must be compiled with gtkglext also and you must have working OpenGL or Mesa driver. If you you use 'xaw' version, also make sure to have Hardware scaling checked. For this older gui you don't need OpenGL, but you need good and working Xv (also must be compiled with) in your DDX driver. In both ways graphics driver must be correct.

You can try debs from my PPA, if you want to check gtk2 version. (i will add ffmpeg support today, but not for mp3 capture, because liblame0 is not in Ubuntu official repos for Intrepid and for Hardy, ffmpeg is not even compiled with mp3 support for video.).

P.S. Right now i added ffmpeg support for intrepid and hardy packages (without mp3, sorry:().

billc123
December 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
ok, I must be doing something wrong then because I don't see "Hardware scaling" under vic II settings.
screenshot attached.

kosmo
December 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
As i know, only fglrx drivers have problems with Xv, but maybe that is not case here... Did you tried to delete old ~/.vice/vicerc and start x64 again? Some command output and logs will be more usefull: vice-2.1/config.log, output from console when you actually start 'x64' and:

ldd /usr/bin/x64 && xvinfo

or ldd /usr/local/bin/x64 if your x64 was installed in local path.

billc123
December 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM
thanks for the help-
I tried deleting the vicerc file but no luck
mine is only 2.0 though,not 2.1, but here was the result of the command...

ldd /usr/local/bin/x64
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb7fb9000)
libXaw.so.7 => /usr/lib/libXaw.so.7 (0xb7f30000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7f20000)
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0xb7f0a000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb7eb8000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7ea9000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7dba000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb7db1000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7d99000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7d80000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7c90000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7c6a000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7c5b000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7afd000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7afa000)
libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xb7af6000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb7add000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7ad9000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f9f000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7ad4000)

kosmo
December 24th, 2008, 04:38 AM
OK that is usefull, as you can see you miss Xv extensions, probably you don't have dev packages installed. Install the following (i think that is to be enough):

sudo apt-get libxxf86vm-dev libxv-dev

And then recompile and reinstall new vice again.

billc123
December 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
oh- ok. Although when I run that command I also get an error...

sudo apt-get libxxf86vm-dev libxv-dev
E: Invalid operation libxxf86vm-dev

K.Mandla
December 25th, 2008, 01:46 AM
There's a small typo in that. Try:

sudo apt-get install libxxf86vm-dev libxv-dev

K.Mandla
December 25th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Probably you check this on old link http://www.viceteam.org/ , but new link we should use is http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/ .
Ah, thank you.

billc123
December 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks K.Mandla.

That worked. :) I have the full screen option now after doing that command and recompiling with the --enable fullscreen option.

The only problem I see now is that the fullscreen does not work with my resolution (but at least it is there now). I think it's just not a feature of the program. My normal desktop resolution is 1280 x 800 (16:10), and it looks like the program only supports either 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 at fullscreen.
I tried for testing purposes to change my desktop resolution to 800 x 600 and it looked somewhat ok, but I wouldn't want to leave my desktop like that normally though. oh well - thats ok -at least I found out the answer to why it wasn't there anyway.

kosmo
December 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You must have that resolution in vice and any other which 'xrandr' command listed. If you use some
resolution for Desktop, you can use the same in vice... Maybe libxrandr-dev also not installed:

sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev

After you recompiled with that also, look for available resolutions in 'XRandR Reslotions' and not in "VidMode".

NEWS
- Vidmode (fullscreen support) is broken and therefore marked as
deprecated. It will be removed in the next release if no-one takes
responsibility to fix the broken code and is willing to maintain the
code.

billc123
January 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
i ran that command (sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev) and it installed ok, then recompiled- but i still don't see an option called "XRandR Reslotions". Do you need to recompile with a certain command to get it? also where should it be found?
thanks...

xc8
February 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I got an error : sound fragment. (on alsa)

I think its missing oss sound support. How can I enable this?

Since VICE 2.1 is released, if you use Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 you can check my PPA for 2.1 debs;). I would like to hear some feedback from users, so i could try to make debs better for wide-spread usefullness (if they not good enough already).

NOTE: All roms are mangled from original source, so neither .orig source nor debs packages include any of it!

lukew
March 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Thank you so much for this. However I can not get the key to verify. I import it into the software repositories and it is listed however when I go to install the software it says it can not be authenticated.

Trying to install the hardy versions.

Thanks
Luke
Luke

lukew
March 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you so much for this. However I can not get the key to verify. I import it into the software repositories and it is listed however when I go to install the software it says it can not be authenticated.

Trying to install the hardy versions.

Thanks
Luke
Luke

Well I went and installed this anyway without getting the gpg key to work. However I get the following error message when trying to open x64 or xplus4

XRandR: XRandR reports current display: 1280x768@60

Any ideas?

Thanks
Luke

lukew
March 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well I went and installed this anyway without getting the gpg key to work. However I get the following error message when trying to open x64 or xplus4

XRandR: XRandR reports current display: 1280x768@60

Any ideas?

Thanks
Luke

I compiled successfully on an intrepid box though I got a recursive error on the checkinstall step. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks
Luke

lukew
March 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Ok. In short I could never compile this on my AMD64. Always hard locks and have to force a reboot with the power switch. Last time someone posted the deb file for gutsy which worked. This does not seem to work for me now on hardy. My laptop runs intrepid. Compiled ok but as you see above I get a recursive error when I run Check Install.

All in all getting no wwhere very slowly.

My actions?

01: Remove all copies of vice ( and repos added to get compiled version of vice.)

02: Install vice from the default ubuntu repositories which do not include the roms required to play.

03. Read the file /usr/share/doc/vice/README/ROMS.

The file contains the following information:

Previously, this was handled with the vice-getroms package, which was
a fragile downloader that attempted to download the individual ROM
images and put them in their correct places. At one point, the
upstream maintainers of VICE put together a tarball of the necessary
images, which can be found at:

ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/VICE/old/vice-1.5-roms.tar.gz

Download that file, and copy the contents of vice-roms-1.5/data/* into
the matching directories in /usr/lib/vice. You will probably need to
be root to do this.

For me this worked a treat.

Also to to get a rom to work:

01 Left click on running emulator select smart attach disk/rom
02 Navigate to required rom, highlight and select autostart
03. Roms take a while to load.

Hope this helps but.

Luke

K.Mandla
March 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Interesting. I'll have to track down an AMD64 and see if I can get it to build. Thanks for the note.

proevofanatik
April 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
im using linux mint ant ive installed vice through the package manager. but i dont see it in the game section in the menu button on the bottom left hand of the sceen. do i need to use come kind of command line to load it up all the time? or can i create a shortcut to my desktop?

K.Mandla
April 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
im using linux mint ant ive installed vice through the package manager. but i dont see it in the game section in the menu button on the bottom left hand of the sceen. do i need to use come kind of command line to load it up all the time? or can i create a shortcut to my desktop?
Beats me. You should probably ask the 'Mint folks where it is supposed to reside to make sure you're not working around a bug.

K.Mandla
April 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I've updated the howto only slightly for the Jaunty release. Ubuntu 9.04 works fine with the tutorial as it is.

http://omploader.org/tMWxuaA (http://omploader.org/vMWxuaA)

(That's with the Gnome user interface enabled; the instructions as they stand only call for the xaw-based interface.)

Enjoy!

RogueClown
June 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
i'm having trouble saving my programs in VICE c128 mode.

i am running VICE on a HP Pavilion dv4000, running Hardy Heron. in my ~/.vice/vicerc, i first defined FSDevice8Dir="/home/adalia/bin/vice/c128", a directory i had created. i tried to save a program by typing DSAVE"programname", and it gave me a device not present error.

i then went back into the vicerc file and defined FSDevice8Dir=".". i fired up VICE again, wrote another sample program and ran DSAVE"programname". the screen output:

SAVING 0: PROGRAMNAME
READY

then, i typed DIRECTORY to see if it saved, and it didn't list any files. there just printed a blank line, and then READY. sure enough, i listed the directory that it was supposed to save in, and there were no files in the directory.

i'm wondering...what am i doing wrong?

thank you for your help;

richard270384
July 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. However I did have some issues running vice on my laptop.

The problem was mainly with the joystick options, it seemed that you couldn't define your own keyset and I couldn't get the other two keysets to work. As my laptop doesn't have a number pad I could not use that option either.

The solution I found was to run "./configure --enable-gnomeui" after making and installing there is now the option to define your own keys under Settings>Joystick settings>Define keysets

I hope this helps any laptop users like myself with this or similar problems with the joystick options. :)

I'm having this same problem - and most games require a joystick in one way or another.

I tried Frankie's advice to configure with --enable-gnomeui, but I got this error message:

checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I tried to find a package named gtk+-2.0 (or something similar) in Synaptic but couldn't find one.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04... Any thoughts or any other info you need?

K.Mandla
July 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm having this same problem - and most games require a joystick in one way or another.

I tried Frankie's advice to configure with --enable-gnomeui, but I got this error message:

checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I tried to find a package named gtk+-2.0 (or something similar) in Synaptic but couldn't find one.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04... Any thoughts or any other info you need?
If I recall correctly, you'll need the libgtk2.0-dev (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libgtk2.0-dev) package in order to get that working under the Gnome UI. To be honest, I would recommend installing gnome-core-devel (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gnome-core-devel) instead, since it's probably going to require more than just the GTK2.0 development files.

But a +1 to the Gnome-based interface, for ease of adjusting the joystick settings. It's a shame the xaw version doesn't also have that option. ... :(

richard270384
July 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
If I recall correctly, you'll need the libgtk2.0-dev (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libgtk2.0-dev) package in order to get that working under the Gnome UI. To be honest, I would recommend installing gnome-core-devel (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gnome-core-devel) instead, since it's probably going to require more than just the GTK2.0 development files.

But a +1 to the Gnome-based interface, for ease of adjusting the joystick settings. It's a shame the xaw version doesn't also have that option. ... :(

I installed gnome-core-devel and it works fine now. Thanks.

whoya
September 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
K.Mandla you a life saver. i did as you said copyed the code and now im playing all the old c64 games i loved so much.
cheers mate

K.Mandla
December 31st, 2009, 03:32 AM
It's more than 3 years old, but the how-to still works. This is Ubuntu 9.10 and VICE 2.2.

http://omploader.org/tMzRlZA (http://omploader.org/vMzRlZA)

Enjoy! :KS

K.Mandla
May 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I've tried four or five times now to build VICE 2.2 in Lucid, but I hit the same error each time. Here are the final lines from the make command, so you can compare it with yours.

x11video.c:268: warning: function declaration isn’t a prototype
x11video.c: In function ‘shmhandler’:
x11video.c:348: error: ‘X_ShmAttach’ undeclared (first use in this function)
x11video.c:348: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
x11video.c:348: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[7]: *** [x11video.o] Error 1
make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw'
make[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw'
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

real 1m49.583s
user 2m40.754s
sys 0m14.309s
I will do a little more research and see if there is a patch or a fix somewhere; more than likely something was updated in a core library that interferes with VICE's compilation, and it will be adjusted on one or the other side. Stay tuned. ... :)

datenraffzahn
May 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM
@K.Mandla

I've a work-arround for this issue.

1. open vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw/x11video.c

with you favorite editor

2. goto line 348 and replace X_ShmAttach by 1

3. save, close and compile

First I tried to include shmproto.h but this didn't do it. Compliler tells me this file would'nt exist, but it does. So I commented out my own include again.

Just looking out the value for X_ShmAttach in the shmproto.h file and replacing it in x11video.c by 1 (as defined in shmproto.h) does the trick. Vice compiles probably.

regards.

K.Mandla
May 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I've a work-arround for this issue. ...
Thanks very much, this worked perfectly for me for both the xaw version and the Gnome UI build.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4876/vicexaw.th.png (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/vicexaw.png/) http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6775/vicejumpman.th.png (http://img243.imageshack.us/i/vicejumpman.png/)

I'll update the original post to link to your fix. Cheers! :mrgreen:

parovelb
June 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
After the make command nothing happens?

parovelb@parovelb-laptop:~/vice-2.2$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
parovelb@parovelb-laptop:~/vice-2.2$
Now what?

parovelb
June 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
After the make command nothing happens?

parovelb@parovelb-laptop:~/vice-2.2$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
parovelb@parovelb-laptop:~/vice-2.2$Now what?

simple k pasulj. to solve this I have installed the latest g++ and related libs.

WARvault
August 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I am having some trouble with the "sudo checkinstall" stage of this on my G3 iMac with lucid.
I am getting this error http://pastebin.com/4YNJnp92

Thanks for the great howto KMan!

K.Mandla
November 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM
This tutorial is four years old now, and still works. :)

http://ompldr.org/tNjFjMw (http://ompldr.org/vNjFjMw)

Unfortunately, the one-line edit that was needed for 10.04 is still required for 10.10. Don't forget that, or VICE won't compile. Probably at some point in the future, that will not need editing.

Additionally, as WARvault mentioned, checkinstall might give errors. If that's the case, stick with sudo make install; that has yet to fail me.

Have fun! :KS

rudy.b
November 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
For some reason I couldn't get sound to work initially when compiling under Maverick, although sound on my Lucid machine worked fine. When running from the command line, the Maverick machines would give me this error:

Did not find any uss device
Also, I really wanted to get fullscreen to work and I found a solution to both problems with information in this thread (http://ww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8629869).

After I installed the SDL development files:

sudo aptitude install libsdl-dev

I was able to configure VICE using the following command:

./configure --enable-sdlui

And then did the 'make' and 'sudo checkinstall' to complete the process. Now, sound works perfectly well on all my systems with no additional tweaking.

The SDL interface isn't as nice as the Gnome one, but it does the job. Pressing F12 will give you the command menu and from there you can select your video settings. I was able to setup a fullscreen option with a custom resolution and OpenGL free scaling for great results on my LCD TV. Now I can play Jumpman in full widescreen with stereo sound!

DrazenZG
January 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you very much for this tutorial, great job :)

beerli
February 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
dont forget to
$make clean
prior to your checkinstall!

thx to the datenraffzahn for the cool workaround. how do you come up with that?! all avaliable thumbs up!

JohnFante
May 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Version 2.3 compiled with SDL and work fine on Natty-x64 :-). And it is way better than the 2.2 version in the repo. I did not make any changes to the source, so I do not think the change on page 12 is needed anymore.

I can not get it to make a deb-package with checkinstall but sudo make install does the trick. Sudo checkinstall works fine on the x86 version of Natty I have on a laptop so it is proberbly a x64 thing. No problem thou.

Antirad
August 30th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I need some help it's not letting me run any emulator...it says:

OS compiled for: Linux
GUI compiled for: GTK+
CPU compiled for: Pentium Pro
Compiler used: GCC-4.6.2
Current OS: not yet implemented
Current CPU: Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/Celeron/Core/Core 2/Atom

D. Lem, A. Matthies, M. Pottendorfer, S. Trikaliotis, M. van den Heuvel,
C. Vogelgsang, F. Gennari, D. Kahlin, A. Lankila, Groepaz, I. Korb,
E. Smith, O. Seibert.

XRandR: XRandR reports current display: 1366x768@60
Error - Machine initialization failed.

Exiting...