PDA

View Full Version : No box for jabber?

walterBE
April 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
In the options is there no box for the jabber IM.

Maybe one of those
AIM Screen Name:
Yahoo! Messenger Handle:

can be renamed to Jabber?

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
This is pretty heavily built into the forum framework. It would be possible to change that, but then the millions of people who use aim, yahoo, msn, or ICQ would be out of luck. I personally don't know anyone who uses jabber, but a lot who use the other 4, and while my experience isn't the gospel, I'd imaginve Jabber is used less than the other 4. So for our purposes, it doesn't make any sense.

walterBE
April 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM
This is pretty heavily built into the forum framework. It would be possible to change that, but then the millions of people who use aim, yahoo, msn, or ICQ would be out of luck. I personally don't know anyone who uses jabber, but a lot who use the other 4, and while my experience isn't the gospel, I'd imaginve Jabber is used less than the other 4. So for our purposes, it doesn't make any sense.

I think it strongley changes from where on earth you are and whit the type of people you have contact.

I do not know anyone who use AIM or Yahoo. And the few who still where using ICQ have almost all gone to MSN and a few to jabber. Most of my contacts are using MSN but jabber is on the 2th place.

The only numbers of users I have found it this press relase of the Jabber Foundation of september 2003 where the say there are more jabber users then ICQ users.
http://www.jabber.org/press/2003-09-22.shtml

kassetra
April 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
In the options is there no box for the jabber IM.

Maybe one of those
AIM Screen Name:
Yahoo! Messenger Handle:

can be renamed to Jabber?

It's not simply a matter of renaming, and if it were, I wouldn't suggest we rename the four most popular IM protocols. Those protocols are actually tied into the system, and if we were using Windows XP - you could IM to a person from the forums.

We can talk to the admin about adding a jabber protocol, but I am not supportive of the idea of renaming or moving one of the current IM protocols to jabber.

ubuntu UsER
May 13th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Hmm, maybe jabber could be added, maybe replacing another IM is not necessary? Jabber is an open protocol, so this is obviously for me to use it. Maybe there is another way to add this protocol box on this forum?

doclivingston
May 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm fairly sure that AIM and ICQ are the same network now (meaning they could be combined). At the least I can message people using ICQ while only having an AIM account signed in

kassetra
May 18th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I'm fairly sure that AIM and ICQ are the same network now (meaning they could be combined). At the least I can message people using ICQ while only having an AIM account signed in

They are combined as far as being able to message between users, but the actual protocols are still quite different. If we combine them, we'd have to choose one protocol to use - thus leaving off the other protocol.

Grue
May 21st, 2005, 02:53 AM
Actually it doesn't look like it's that big a hassle to add a Jabber field.

From the vBulletin boards:

I would like to add Jabber (for example) to the registration/profile forms on my forums.

Is this possible ? thanks

You can create a profile field for that:

Admin CP -> User Profile Fields -> Add New User Profile Field

This is something I would really like to see here on the boards, as this promotes the use of yet another free software protocol :).

ubuntu-geek
May 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Once and if Vbulletin adds support for jabber we will activate it. I have yet to find a "hack" to make jabber work with vbulletin..

Jenda
May 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Why use Vbulletin, when it doesn't support the free protocol IM, Jabber? Are we trying to promote freedom or not?

kassetra
May 29th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Why use Vbulletin, when it doesn't support the free protocol IM, Jabber? Are we trying to promote freedom or not?

Simply because we use vbulletin and it doesn't support jabber yet doesn't mean we are not trying to promote freedom.

Please see this thread for more information as to why we chose vbulletin.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=34919

Also, please note that we are not the only Linux distribution forum using vbulletin, other prominent Linux distributions also use vbulletin for their forums as well.

TravisNewman
May 30th, 2005, 02:15 AM
we use vbulletin because it does what we need out of a forum. Sure it's proprietary, but up until a few weeks ago, the Linux kernel source was organized using BitKeeper, a proprietary application. And as I've said before, RMS himself even says that if there isn't an open source tool available to do what you want, then proprietary software is ok.

kassetra
May 30th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Ok, here's the good news, first.
There is a jabber protocol we've found to integrate into the boards.

Here's the bad news...
It's in a GIANT upgrade to the forums, so it will take us some time to get it up and running.

So please be patient while we wait for the new stable release (version 3.5, which is currently in preview mode and hasn't been released yet), and please also be patient when we begin the upgrade process. :)

On the plus side, we won't be able to do this for a while yet, because the new version hasn't been released, so we won't be breaking the forums *just yet.* :)