PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have had problems with Dapper??

hellmet
October 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Well, for me I have faced this problem on 3-4 computers,
two of them running Intel 845G, other two , I don't remember...
The LIVE cd gets stuck at Manual Partition.
Alternate CD gets stuck somewhere during the last installation
stages..

When I try breezy on those, I 've had no problems..
How many of u have had similar problems??

[h2o]
October 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM
A few hangups and X crash+restarts. But I guess that has more to do with me playing around with XGL ;)

Bluetooth and IR support could be better as well.

apjone
October 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I had a few problems, but i only started using linux last year. I dont really care though because Its fun to sort out the problems , And dapper is a great o/s

Rackerz
October 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I had minor problems, most of them my fault so it's been pretty good for me :).

vayu
October 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I've had troubles installing on various computers with each release since Hoary. Each release took a little effort to tame down and afterwards then performed very well for me. After the initial break-in period each successive release has been better than the last.

Bloch
October 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yes, the live CD could not partition the disk (30GB with a fresh installation of windows 2000 on it)
I had to install on the whole disk, overwriting windows. This was for a friend, and I really wanted to leave him windows, if only for the case that somthing goes wrong with his broadband modem and he has to ring support.

Since then his (and mine) main complaint is not the operating system as such, it's the usual hassle with codecs, plugins, getting Soundjuicer to rip to mp3s, realplayer problems, frostwire seizing up and the totem crashing.

chaosgeisterchen
October 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
It was a drawback for me, Breezy was just fine, Dapper hat problems with my Wireless-NIC.

KDE went towards being marked as 'dead unstable'...

I hope for edgy.

Pelekophori
October 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Dapper was my first use of Linux and I had quite a few "problems" with it. Each fresh installation slowly but inexorably degenerated into an unstable/unusable state. So much for the famed stability of Linux thought I.

Then I discovered my ram was faulty ](*,)

It's all been good since I replaced the errant ram, although I've moved on to Edgy.

coder_
October 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I have had quite a few small problems here and there and probably two larger problems.

But problems are fun. I seriously think that half the fun I have on Linux is mucking around in the terminal trying to fix a problem (Then destroying something else and having to fix that too) and then getting the satisfaction of fixing it myself and being able to help others with a similar problem. It's great.

I had problems in Windows, but none I could fix the fun way (They were just stuck like that, no fun! :P).

argie
October 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I had the problem with the LiveCD. It refused to partition properly and the partitions kept becoming Unknown filesystem. Weird. The Alternate ISO worked perfectly there.

PathSpace
October 15th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I've had a few problems, but then again, most were related to Compiz or Beryl. I am running Edgy now, but I have to say that Dapper was a pretty solid OS. :)

chickengirl
October 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Not only did I not have problems, Dapper actually fixed a couple of problems I was having with Breezy.

Although Gnome did go a little crazy on me... but then I switched to xubuntu and xubuntu rocks, so it's all good.

rfruth
October 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I started with Breezy, it worked fine, Dapper is even better !

ahaslam
October 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I am currently running a Breezy Badger install that was upgraded to Dapper & no problems that we couldn't fix ;)

Tony.