PDA

View Full Version : Qt windows apps and gtk windows apps

darkhatter
October 15th, 2006, 02:34 AM
all the qt apps I used in windows skype(think its qt) and opera both run good. Firefox, and inkscape runs good, but I find that amsn is not as good. Is programing for gtk on windows harder then it is qt apps on windows. From what I have seen qt seems to be the language of choice if you want to produce tri-os programs

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 15th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Programming against GTK+ is harder on any platform than programming against Qt. Qt is just a lot more powerful and polished. Also, since you mention cross-platform development, it is important that GTK+ is just a graphical library, while Qt is an entire framework. When you use Qt, your program will be supported on any platform that supports Qt. Since GTK+ only covers the GUI it only makes the GUI cross-platform. Whether or not the rest of the program is cross-platform depends on the code you write and the libraries you use.

P.S. Firefox on Windows doesn't use GTK+, and I think Opera on Windows doesn't use Qt (at least it still didn't in 8.x).

darkhatter
October 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM
ok, I just wanted to know how come amsn was not as good as it was on Linux. This is starting to sound messy so explaining to me may be a waste of time

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 15th, 2006, 02:47 AM
What precisely is the problem with amsn in Windows? I was not aware that amsn used GTK+. A quick look at it in aptitude says it uses Tcl/Tk.

darkhatter
October 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I'm having a noob moment right now

Kimm
October 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
What precisely is the problem with amsn in Windows? I was not aware that amsn used GTK+. A quick look at it in aptitude says it uses Tcl/Tk.

True. aMSN doesnt use GTK at all :p

ComplexNumber
October 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
True. aMSN doesnt use GTK at all :p
however, this (http://amsn.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=618) gives it a native qt/gtk/whatever look and feel.