PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions vis-a-vis Windows

Bobajot
October 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Downloaded ISO's and cut disks using Nero. Approx 25 each minutes on faster dsl.
Put I386 in brand new box and it was up running and updated in just over an hour. Did same with XP and it took ages to put in all the crap from Windows Update, Spybot, Mcafee, scan system for any lurking spyware or virus whilst unprotected on net. Router firewalled so didn't need that. Drivers also required loading then updating. Intention was to create a clean OS then use that as a master. My condolences for those that have to activate or re-activate - Windows would have gone long ago; that and a complete lack of real support from all the big players including MS ATI Mcafee etc. I have a permissions problem on an ATI card under Windows that ATI have done nothing about! I won't be having one of their products again any time soon.
I eventually got bored considered dual boot dismissed it and loaded the 64 bit version of Dapper. Went straight in and updated in less than an hour on a standard dsl (50-60 kiloBYTES sec).
Internet then Evolution took about 15 minutes and most of that was finding the mail account tab under Preferences (minor gripe - it should be more obvious for us thick types). Printing I'd already solved in a brief flirtation with Fedora 5 using a BelkinWireless Print Server. Reserving IP address from the Netgear routers with the Mac addresses then using netdirect with IP and port 9100 works a treat. Note I don't use wireless anymore it's too damn slow and unreliable compared with running ethernet and a couple of those 85Mb mains thingies to get to my bolt hole at the bottom of the garden doubles performance for my second faster router to a different ISP (running around 300 kiloBytes average against 150 on wireless).
First major gripe for Ubuntu is screen resolution and monitors this is so basic that it beggars belief it ain't fixed. If Automatix can load the right driver why can't Ubuntu and I find vi'ing conf files a pain in the nether’s. I do have some experience with Unix but I'm no techie and these days prefer to drive things rather than fix them.
A major plus has been my rather odd network with 2 Internet routers and a print server with only one ISP having my mail accounts just works and I don't know why. It gets and sends mail from the correct one then seems to use the high speed one for newsgroup access using that hellanzb under some snake or other. I chuckled at the hell and serpents. I found the instructions for that here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169749 and it works like fantastic even better than NOMP(NZB-O-MATIC+) and winrar. Renaming the firefox download directory to /ext2/nzb/daemon.queue means that files uncompressed nfb’s can go straight out of newzbin and the process just happens – talk about we like to move it move it! I was even more impressed when I could read .CHM’s and sort out .k7 to .MKV to HD TV in short order (around 5 mins 2gb) with some other stuff loaded from Automatix . Try that last item with windows it’s a nightmare i.e. it takes all night. That Hellofa program is worth having linux on its own.
Next system monitoring needs fixing it is just to messy in Ubuntu its another item that can’t be rocket science to have some automatic process.
That is as far as I’ve gone and all round I’m delighted with what Ubuntu offers and it wouldn’t take that much effort to make it fit for general use. Most of that is just looking through the beginners stuff and fixing the common issues. Games is a big plus for Windows but so far I haven’t looked at Linux equivalents. Overall Linux can do 95%(for me) of what I do on Windows and that 5% is dropping all the time. In addition Linux can do things Windows can’t like the Network I mentioned. It isn’t just Windows either there is a small fortune in other products that I don’t need or are free in Linux.

taurus
October 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I think this post should go in the Cafe!!!

Bobajot
October 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I think this post should go in the Cafe!!!

Is that where you get the Coffee:p ?

taurus
October 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Yes. That's where people sit around and discuss the meaning of life with a cup of coffee in their hand...

y6FgBn)~v
October 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM
It has replaced the morning newspaper as my first cup read of choice. ;)