PDA

View Full Version : Massive Undertaking

Naralas
October 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Now I know making laptops isnt exactly a basement operation, however, I was wondering, would it ever be possible for the Ubuntu community to release there own machines? Designed for Ubuntu. Like, I have always said my T41 is practically designed for it, and it has an amazing history of working out of the box, but people are STILL afraid to move to Linux.

I know what I am proposing is probably impossible but I still like to talk about it, so I shall. The ubuntu community should make bloody laptops!!! Microsoft is going crazy with system specs lately and if there was an alternative then maybe it would be possible to finally become a REAL competitor.

Pretty soon, how expencive will it be to get a 1.6Ghz Centrino Mobile processor? Or a 40 or 60 gig laptop harddrive? 512 or even a gig of ram. Thats all I had when I started running Ubuntu, and it has never failed me. If fully functional laptops, even with crappy wireless capability (aslong as it had some) would probably do well. Meh, Im just a 17 year old kid there's nothing I can do about it. All I am saying is I personally would save up for, and buy an Ubuntu Laptop for myself and atleast 2 or 3 of my friends. Turn then into hardcore linux users, and get them ubuntu clothes too! :-p

Ubuntu is the sort of thing that I would be glad to be turned into a billboard for. Alot of people hear things as simple as "fily system" "OS" or any other number of technical words and shy away. At one point or another someone has walked up to most people with "Linux" and scared them off with technical gargon... ubuntu PC's or laptops would fix that.

At the very least, provide a list of common / cheap hardware that Ubuntu works well with. Video cards, wireless cards etc. that way we can build ubuntu PC's and maybe a few computer shop owners will put some on there shelves and turn some people on to Linux.

Meh, I am just ranting a bit. maybe I will inspire someone to refine my idea into something thats... you know... plausable?

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
mmmm how much is an ubuntu laptop?

The Noble
October 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Check out system76, they make real decent Ubuntu pre-loaded laptops that you can buy. If someone were to get a real good laptop distribution going I would be happy, but I find it a much better idea to get that manpower working on the distribution in general. Why not just get as many machines working as possible with linux instead? I would prefer a cheaper Dell that works than a more expensive preloaded Linux laptop.

Kateikyoushi
October 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have been thinking about it as well.
The problem is that the big ones outsell you by thousands they get better prices from the actual manufacturers and just stick a hp and dell sign on the top, they also get much better oem prices from ms not the 200$ you get.

Still somewhere inside me I hope it happens.

Brunellus
October 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Now I know making laptops isnt exactly a basement operation, however, I was wondering, would it ever be possible for the Ubuntu community to release there own machines? Designed for Ubuntu. Like, I have always said my T41 is practically designed for it, and it has an amazing history of working out of the box, but people are STILL afraid to move to Linux.

I know what I am proposing is probably impossible but I still like to talk about it, so I shall. The ubuntu community should make bloody laptops!!! Microsoft is going crazy with system specs lately and if there was an alternative then maybe it would be possible to finally become a REAL competitor.

Pretty soon, how expencive will it be to get a 1.6Ghz Centrino Mobile processor? Or a 40 or 60 gig laptop harddrive? 512 or even a gig of ram. Thats all I had when I started running Ubuntu, and it has never failed me. If fully functional laptops, even with crappy wireless capability (aslong as it had some) would probably do well. Meh, Im just a 17 year old kid there's nothing I can do about it. All I am saying is I personally would save up for, and buy an Ubuntu Laptop for myself and atleast 2 or 3 of my friends. Turn then into hardcore linux users, and get them ubuntu clothes too! :-p

Ubuntu is the sort of thing that I would be glad to be turned into a billboard for. Alot of people hear things as simple as "fily system" "OS" or any other number of technical words and shy away. At one point or another someone has walked up to most people with "Linux" and scared them off with technical gargon... ubuntu PC's or laptops would fix that.

At the very least, provide a list of common / cheap hardware that Ubuntu works well with. Video cards, wireless cards etc. that way we can build ubuntu PC's and maybe a few computer shop owners will put some on there shelves and turn some people on to Linux.

Meh, I am just ranting a bit. maybe I will inspire someone to refine my idea into something thats... you know... plausable?
www.system76.com

mips
October 14th, 2006, 11:02 PM
www.system76.com (http://www.system76.com)

Same as Asus but more expensive.

maniacmusician
October 14th, 2006, 11:23 PM
but they come with ubuntu installed and offer support for the OS. it's for people that would normally shy away from linux.

even though i am by no means an expert, I still like to install it myself.

Iandefor
October 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM
www.system76.com (http://www.system76.com) I've also been impressed with Groovix (http://groovix.com/)'s offerings. I've not bought any of their products, but it seems like quite a good little retailer. The next computer I buy may well just come from them.

NoTiG
October 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I dont see why a company cant become some sort of an affiliate with a big OEM, like Dell... and then build preloaded laptops. Of course... hiding their relationship to dell so microsoft doesnt know, while getting bulk discount prices for computer parts.

Naralas
October 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Bah the two great sites here are so expencive! Trying to save money by cutting off the Windows XP fee? Psh yeah right it comes back double with the massive parts fee these mickey mouse operations get.

I guess theres no way to accelerate this. Ubuntu needs to take over the world slowly *sigh*

3rdalbum
October 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM
What about the OLPC machines when they become available for individual purchase? Sure, they run a stripped-down Fedora, but I'm sure you could equally strip down Ubuntu and run it on them; and besides, Linux is the thing that needs more promotion than Ubuntu itself.

argie
October 15th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I've also been impressed with Groovix (http://groovix.com/)'s offerings. I've not bought any of their products, but it seems like quite a good little retailer. The next computer I buy may well just come from them.

Groovix claim they have their own repository of packages.

Examples include our connect2groovix live tech support tool, multi-user software, fixed drivers for VIA onboard video cards, an automated RealPlayer installer, and TV tuner modules.

Fixed drivers for VIA cards? Wow, that I could use. Would it be stupid to ask if those drivers would be freely available? (in both senses)