PDA

View Full Version : Web design in Ubuntu

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
hi guys,

i would like to know if some of you can tell me which software i should use to make websites.

in Winxp i use Macromedia Flash8 and Macromedia Dreamweaver8,

i know there are people making websites on linux

got any idea?

PriceChild
October 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Try out Nvu.

(and there's always gedit for the hardcore ;) )

taurus
October 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
(and there's always gedit for the hardcore ;) )
Hardcore should always use vi/vim... :mrgreen:

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
thank you for nvu, one friend of mine told me about an experimental flash editor,but i forgot it ,do you know anything?

if it work should mean for me whole ubuntu hard disk

BWF89
October 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Is Nvu still being developed? I heard somewhere it's an abondoned project.

Virogenesis
October 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
aptana (for html, js...etc), inkscape, xara xtreme xl (both are vector programs, great for mock ups of sites, also good for artwork.), gimp for touching up those pics.

picpak
October 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Mousepad. The one and only.

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
i visited the site of f4l (an experimental flash editor) but it seems to be pure kde and not for ubuntu

taurus
October 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
i visited the site of f4l (an experimental flash editor) but it seems to be pure kde and not for ubuntu
You can run KDE apps in Gnome. It will load all the necessary libs first before it starts the app.

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
nice shot, so i am going to try it,but i think i will do this when edgy will be out.
26 october right?

Rackerz
October 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Round about that time. You can use the RC (Release Candidate) though, nothing really changes from the RC to the final release.

user1397
October 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
nvu has stopped development, but it seems the mozilla guys have taken it up, and called it kompozer. look here: http://kompozer.net/

emarkay
October 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM
If you are using anything more than a text editor you are being too flashy and pretentious, IMHO.

Too many web sites are too "cute" for their own good and are filled with more fluff than a feather bed, and offer little value as information resources, again IMHO.

But I do use the Mozilla Composer to do occasional file conversions to HTML.

GStubbs43
October 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM
hi guys,

i would like to know if some of you can tell me which software i should use to make websites.

in Winxp i use Macromedia Flash8 and Macromedia Dreamweaver8,

i know there are people making websites on linux

got any idea?

http://www.osalt.com/openlaszlo
http://www.osalt.com/kompozer

Openlasszlo is an open source alternative to Macromedia Flash Professional 8. I have never used it, but it might help you. 8)

KompoZer is an open source alternative to Macromedia Dreamweaver 8. Again, I have never used it, but it might help you. 8)

PaulMellors
October 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
The only things you really need to create web pages are :

1. Gimp - For creating images
2. Leafpad - For creating the html/php/asp/css files.

Anything else is a waste of time. IMHO.

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 05:33 PM
The only things you really need to create web pages are :

1. Gimp - For creating images
2. Leafpad - For creating the html/php/asp/css files.

Anything else is a waste of time. IMHO.

maybe you don't understand the web...watch yourself around and tell me if flash well-done websites are or not the best ones.

thanks GStubbs43 for openlazlo

Virogenesis
October 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
maybe you don't understand the web...watch yourself around and tell me if flash well-done websites are or not the best ones.

thanks GStubbs43 for openlazlo

I'll tell you, there not which is why gucci went for the JS option over flash, flash is slow for 56k users, doesn't get indexed by search engines.
Its totally useless for content.
A well designed site doesn't need the use of flash, ie: csszengarden.
Be sure to check out aptana its my editor of choice and I was trained to use dreamweaver I consider it a dreamweaver killer.
The web address is http://www.aptana.com/

ComplexNumber
October 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
watch yourself around and tell me if flash well-done websites are or not the best ones.no. i think the flash designed website are annoying and the flash part of them is TOTALLY superfluous. the sooner we do away with flash the better! its just not unnecssary, but is akin to XGL with wobbly windows and a host of other annoying and unecessary effects on the desktop. the vast majority of people don't want that. the ONLY purpose that flash and other effects serve on a webpage is to present a statement of the web designers ego....and nothing more. most people just want to read the contents, and for the content to be easy on the eye with good use of colour. nothing else.

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
mmm differents points of view ;D

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
no. i think the flash designed website are annoying and the flash part of them is TOTALLY superfluous.
Seconded. Flash is a cancer on the Internet. Flash web sites are almost always the worst, even if you humor them and actually bother using Flash. Good sites are those that are built with excellent web frameworks that work with standard markup. A web application built with ASP.NET or Ruby on Rails will blow away any crappy Flash applet. Flash makes it impossible for your web site to support basic accessibility features, hinders use of browser features, and ties users to platform-specific proprietary technology. Let it die.

BWF89
October 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Websites made with flash-only tend to have no real content but use fancy graphics to try to cover that up. Plus the fact that they take longer to load, especially if your on 56k. Most videogame and music band homepages are designed this way ](*,)

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
...i have to design 4 band websites ;D

however i like this topic

ComplexNumber
October 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
...i have to design 4 band websites ;D
design it the way most people want (ie without using flash). as long as user design principles are followed, nobody gives a flying fish how graphically fancy a website may look. people only care about the content and how easy it is to read/see. there was some survey about a year ago that confirmed as much. the survey also found that if the page takes ages to load, they just won't bother to view it.
you want to design it for the maximum possible audience. by using fancy effects, you cut out many (for example) linux users and all dialup users who are just going to get annoyed.

faizulzone
October 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
http://faizulzone.silenteve.net/img/Dreamweaver.png

im installed dreamweaver in ubuntu 5.04 before and its run smoothly by using Crossover.

Gargamella
October 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
to faizulzone: is it possible to do the same with macromedia flash??

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM
design it the way most people want (ie without using flash)
I again second a post on this page. Fans will appreciate that the band actually cared enough about them to have a page that they can use easily, rather than waiting an hour to download an applet with unclear links that dance around when you try to the click them and spits out obnoxious sound effects every time you move the mouse.

Edit: For a Dreamweaver alternative use Quanta Plus. It is the only editor for the UNIX desktop that matches Dreamweaver in features, but it is much faster and has a better interface.

maniacmusician
October 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I again second a post on this page. Fans will appreciate that the band actually cared enough about them to have a page that they can use easily, rather than waiting an hour to download an applet with unclear links that dance around when you try to the click them and spits out obnoxious sound effects every time you move the mouse.

Edit: For a Dreamweaver alternative use Quanta Plus. It is the only editor for the UNIX desktop that matches Dreamweaver in features, but it is much faster and has a better interface.
i second the quanta plus recommendation. (is it still being developed, does anyone know)

I use it personally, and it's pretty easy to use. i like it.

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 14th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yes, Quanta Plus is being developed. The next release is going to provide integration between it and KDevelop so that they use common features and plugins. Hopefully that means being able to use KDevelop's fantastic Ruby IDE/debugger in Quanta Plus. Quanta Plus + Ruby would provide the first free software IDE that could compete with ASP.NET and Visual Studio.

AgenT
October 14th, 2006, 11:29 PM
to faizulzone: is it possible to do the same with macromedia flash??

While you should always use a native application, sometimes you need to run a Windows application until you find a nice alternative or for some other reason. You do this on Linux with Wine. On their website (http://www.winehq.com), you can find out the success or failure attempts to run different applications with Wine. Remeber that you should try regardless as it may work for you. There is a section for Macromedia Flash (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=23).

For development of source code, you may also try Bluefish. Similar to Quanta Plus but it is a native GNOME application. One feature that Bluefish does not have is a visual editor.

Before people get confused, NVU is no longer being developed. Mozilla is, however, making their own Composer (2.0) again. Kompozer is NOT a continued development of NVU. Kompozer is NVU plus bug fixing patches.

So far, a lot of useful suggestions with a few that are not usually suggested anywhere. Good finds! And please, keep this on topic: this is not a thread about whether flash is good or bad. For that, go start a different thread.

basketcase
October 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
http://basketcase.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/wanted-open-source-css-editor/

my .03$

AgenT
October 15th, 2006, 03:25 AM
http://basketcase.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/wanted-open-source-css-editor/

my .03$
There are a few CSS editors out there. Have you tried cssed (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cssed) for instance?

emarkay
October 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
no. i think the flash designed website are annoying and the flash part of them is TOTALLY superfluous. the sooner we do away with flash the better! its just not unnecssary, but is akin to XGL with wobbly windows and a host of other annoying and unecessary effects on the desktop. the vast majority of people don't want that. the ONLY purpose that flash and other effects serve on a webpage is to present a statement of the web designers ego....and nothing more. most people just want to read the contents, and for the content to be easy on the eye with good use of colour. nothing else.

Man, this dude saw the naked emperor! BRAV-O!

Anything beyond a simple hyperlink to content is a totally unnecessary "gee-whiz" waste of bandwidth.

Also, Flash is more of a pain in Linux because the PrefBar app in Seamonkey/Mozilla does not kill the 'nag" pop-up that says "you need this plug in" like it does in Window$.

PS: Now I see the comment about keeping opinions out of this thread, and I [really] would have deleted this comment, but I can't, for you can't delete comments:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=274449
I'll just add "IMHO" and leave this at that. :)

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
There is no need for you to delete it. It is totally valid to point out the problems with flash. If someone asks you for advice on how to jump off a bridge, it is perfectly correct to warn him that jumping off a bridge will kill him, even if it doesn't help him figure out the best way to do it.