PDA

View Full Version : enough is enough

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
i did a clean install last night and i am resolving to do my best not to hose my system anymore, or, if i do decide to do something that might screw it up, i will at least read the instructions beforehand. (i think i can keep this up at least until tomorrow. any bets?)

dannyboy79
October 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
i did a clean install last night and i am resolving to do my best not to hose my system anymore, or, if i do decide to do something that might screw it up, i will at least read the instructions beforehand. (i think i can keep this up at least until tomorrow. any bets?)

I have had to reinstall once due to a hard drive going dead, luckily maxtor is covering it free of charge. I can tell that after I did the reinstall and started editing files, I ALWAYS first create a backup of that file and I also am keeping a running tab of what files I always change just so that I know and remember what I did to get something working so I can possibly help others and obviously so I can repeat what I did if I need to. Hopefully I won't need to as I am going to be backing up my system very soon. Just need to find the best solution.

detgar
October 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Good on you, fuscia.

(You'll last a week, tops. =p)

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM
(You'll last a week, tops. =p)

that might be a bit optomistic, but thanks for the encouragement.

dannyboy, you describe a most practical procedure. hopefully, that thought will be in the back of my mind the next time i start screwing around.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
how did you screw it up this time to make you need to reinstall?

make your home directory as large as possible and put all necessary files in there.

GarethMB
October 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
What did you do?

I haven't reinstalled in months, I'm pleased to say.

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Come on, fuscia, just do a
sudo rm -rf * in the terminal...

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
that's the bad part: i don't remember what i did. part of it was using gtk-chtheme in openbox (which messes up the theme thing in gnome) and then using kde theming for gtk apps in kubuntu. when i used them in gnome, they still had the kde theming even after i had dumped kubuntu and gotten rid of its files. i had just installed last week, for some other reason, so it was no big loss to get a fresh install.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM

what's that do?

GarethMB
October 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM
So your love affair with KDE is over then?

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
what's that do?

Erm.. don't try it out..please...or you'll kill me!

detgar
October 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM
what's that do?

It deletes everything in the current working directory.

But wouldn't:

rm -rf /*
be meaner? (deletes everything in root dir)

Chayak
October 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Careful with jokes of that kind. I had someone happly comply with it once when logged in as root on an active server... needless to say the server happily ate itself and he gave me the deer in the headlight look 'oops'. That was a long night :P

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
That was a long night :P
oops :D. glad i wasn't in your shoes that night.

siacs
October 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM
that's the bad part: i don't remember what i did. part of it was using gtk-chtheme in openbox (which messes up the theme thing in gnome) *SNIP*
If you go back to Gnome and the theme is messed up just run gtk-theme-switch (http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/x11/gtk-theme-switch) (switch2), select/apply Clearlooks and all should be well.

~

siacs
October 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
then using kde theming for gtk apps in kubuntu. when i used them in gnome, they still had the kde theming even after i had dumped kubuntu and gotten rid of its files.
When using KDE theming for GTK apps you need to make sure to switch back to no theme (leave it blank in Kcontrol) before logging out of KDE if you want to go back to regular GTK themes.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM
So your love affair with KDE is over then?

it has gone the way of many a summer romance.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM
it has gone the way of many a summer romance.
what? you've promise to write(erm, reinstall), but never do? :D

raublekick
October 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
i reinstalled Ubuntu yesterday. i had Kubuntu for the past almost 2 months. i got sick of using it exclusively and wanted to test Xubuntu and Ubuntu on my laptop. after installing (x)ubuntu-desktop, i realized for probably the 7th time that just isn't a good idea. nothing is like a good clean, 1 DE only install. so this time i chose gnome.

i think i'm gonna make a live CD with reconstructor to make reinstalling even easier.

Anonii
October 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
in b4 "omfg you ****** up my linux"

justin whitaker
October 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM

If you haven't hosed your system, well, you just aren't trying! Back to it! :mrgreen:

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
fuscia
maybe you should try having a romance with gnome this time. she's lovely looking, genuine, dependable, very easy to get along with, and she can take the rough with the smooth.

justin whitaker
October 13th, 2006, 07:33 PM
It deletes everything in the current working directory.

But wouldn't:

rm -rf /*
be meaner? (deletes everything in root dir)

Yeah, that's mean. :twisted:

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 07:39 PM
fuscia
maybe you should try having a romance with gnome this time. she's lovely looking, genuine, dependable, very easy to get along with, and she can take the rough with the smooth.

But she doesn't have a very large wardrobe of options from which to choose, leaving her rather .... drab. And of course, she is human, and loves dancing the tango, which I personally abhor.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM
But she doesn't have a very large wardrobe of options from which to choose, leaving her rather .... drab. And of course, she is human, and loves dancing the tango, which I personally abhor.
hehe yeah, i couldn't think of a simile for less configuration options :D. to sum up:

maybe you should try having a romance with gnome this time. she's lovely looking, genuine, dependable, very easy to get along with, and she can take the rough with the smooth, but she doesn't tend to wear a lot of clothes.

skymt
October 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that's mean. :twisted:

Not as mean as:
nohup sudo rm -rf /* &That one won't stop unless you use kill or killall to stop it. Or, if you like:
nohup sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda bs=1024 &That one will erase your system and prevent trivial data recovery.

Again, DO NOT EVER use any of these commands. They are only here to show... something or other.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
the thing that hooks me with kde is the icons. the window decorations and styles are a let down, though. i like a lot of the gtk and metacity themes quite a bit and there are some icon sets that i like, as well (dapper human and its ultra variants, OSX, snowish and most recently, this 'inspector matt' set). until i got my laptop, i was using openbox on my old desktop, so i was used to scrollable workspaces and right-click menus. kde has these features, so that was another lure.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 07:59 PM

just how many pairs of capri pants does one need?

"do these widgets make me look fat?"

croak77
October 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM
that's the bad part: i don't remember what i did. part of it was using gtk-chtheme in openbox (which messes up the theme thing in gnome) and then using kde theming for gtk apps in kubuntu. when i used them in gnome, they still had the kde theming even after i had dumped kubuntu and gotten rid of its files. i had just installed last week, for some other reason, so it was no big loss to get a fresh install.

All you had to do was delete your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. KDE, gtk-theme-switch, and gtk-chtheme use that file to set gtk2 theme, gtk2 icons, gtk2 font, etc. The GNOME theme manager does not use ~/.gtkrc-2.0. So there is a conflict when you have your theme set in GNOME theme manager and written in your ~/gtkrc-2.0 when using GNOME.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
the thing that hooks me with kde is the icons. the window decorations and styles are a let down, though. i like a lot of the gtk and metacity themes quite a bit and there are some icon sets that i like, as well (dapper human and its ultra variants, OSX, snowish and most recently, this 'inspector matt' set). until i got my laptop, i was using openbox on my old desktop, so i was used to scrollable workspaces and right-click menus. kde has these features, so that was another lure.
you can get crystal icons for gnome if they're the icons that you're wanting. alternatively, it may sound as if xfce may suit you given what you've said.

justin whitaker
October 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM
They are only here to show... something or other.

That we should never steal your lunch money and then leave our terminal unattended? :mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Not as mean as:
nohup sudo rm -rf /* &That one won't stop unless you use kill or killall to stop it. Or, if you like:
nohup sudo dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda bs=1024 &That one will erase your system and prevent trivial data recovery.

Again, DO NOT EVER use any of these commands. They are only here to show... something or other.

Ok...something to try on the linux firewall at school :)

K.Mandla
October 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Don't feel bad. I reinstall twice, sometimes three times a week. It makes me feel clean. ... :mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
October 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Hey, fuscia, if you want a challenge..let me give you an easy one to start with...Linux from Scratch would be a piece of cake...

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
All you had to do was delete your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. KDE, gtk-theme-switch, and gtk-chtheme use that file to set gtk2 theme, gtk2 icons, gtk2 font, etc. The GNOME theme manager does not use ~/.gtkrc-2.0. So there is a conflict when you have your theme set in GNOME theme manager and written in your ~/gtkrc-2.0 when using GNOME.

there were other issues, as well, just harder to define.

you can get crystal icons for gnome if they're the icons that you're wanting.

i love the black+white set, OS-L, realistiK, vuitton, etc. i would use konqueror just because of the icon.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
i love the black+white set
do you mean this one?
http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1281

its also available on kde.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
do you mean this one?
http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1281

its also available on kde.

no, i meant this one -
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=24645

(why did i go over to kde look??? stupid, stupid, stupid!!!)](*,)

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
no, i meant this one -
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=24645

(why did i go over to kde look??? stupid, stupid, stupid!!!)](*,)
oh i see.
they look rather nice actually. i don't think they're available on gnome.

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 11:13 PM
fuscia
what exactly put you off kde? are you sure its merely kubuntu thats the problem and not kde?

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 11:37 PM
fuscia
what exactly put you off kde? are you sure its merely kubuntu thats the problem and not kde?

no, it's kde. after a while, decorating kde can be like playing with mr. potato head (or mr. ktuberling).

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
no, it's kde. after a while, decorating kde can be like playing with mr. potato head (or mr. ktuberling).
hehe nice imagery :D. i know its a hassle, but i've seen lots of people make their kde desktop look reasonably nice.

Anonii
October 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
This thread has changed so many topics in so little time, that I will take a deep breath and say that Godwin's law is soon to be seen once again.

skymt
October 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
This thread has changed so many topics in so little time, that I will take a deep breath and say that Godwin's law is soon to be seen once again.

I've never actually seen anyone invoke Godwin's law on these forums. Other forums, but not these. That's probably a good sign. ;)

psycosmyth
October 14th, 2006, 05:07 AM
just install xubuntu, don't even change the background, heck just use a live disk. :mrgreen:

Been there, I had a windows moment once and reinstaled xp, deleting ubuntu, that was like having an affair! Then I instaled kubuntu cause kde is so cool, then i screwed everything up, not sure how, then reinstaled xubuntu and taged gnome back on. i'll probaly do it again by messing with xgl or some other mess:p

fuscia
October 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
well, that lasted longer than i thought it would...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4484/kdescrmd6.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kdescrmd6.jpg)

i blame aysiu - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=277090
he led me astray

edit: ha! dumped it. back on the wagon...

Lord Illidan
October 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I've never actually seen anyone invoke Godwin's law on these forums. Other forums, but not these. That's probably a good sign. ;)

Only fuscia could be so evil to change allies twice over a few days..reminds me of Hit*** and his Na** as*

ahaslam
October 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I also found that changing gtk themes in other DE's screwed up my themes.
After a lot of fustration, I found that dellting hidden files starting with '.gtk' from my home directory sorted it out. If you want to set different gtk themes under different DE's, you'll have to make a simple script to run when logging in. If you want more info on this, let me know.

Tony.

fuscia
October 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Only fuscia could be so evil to change allies twice over a few days..reminds me of Hit*** and his Na** as*

evil? i'm nothing but a great joy in all your lives.