PDA

View Full Version : Msn Messenger unofficial clients.

PriceChild
October 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I remember reading somewhere that on the 15th of October, MS were going to be changing the protocol for msn to bar all clients but their official one from the service.... including linux ones.

Does anyone else remember this from about a month ago and has there been any news?

TrendyDark
October 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure, but I hope like hell they don't stop supporting other clients. :(

*reves up search engine*

PriceChild
October 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Uuu... after a bit of searching seems like i was right:

http://bugs.skolelinux.no/show_bug.cgi?id=508

But all the updates are already implemented in gaim, amsn etc. ;)

EDIT

Wait a minute that was 2003.... i must be going mad!

TrendyDark
October 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
No no, you're not going mad. I did a little searching around and found that this is a normal cycle for MSN Messenger. They have stopped support for older protocols several times in the history of MSN. Thus, we shouldn't worry too much about it :)

I found a few sites stating that v7 protocol will be ended Oct. 15th this year, but I found more sites saying that same thing about [insert msn version] in 2003 lol

Gargamella
October 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
i have gaim 2 included in Ubuntu 6.06 will i have problems?

TrendyDark
October 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Nope, gaim supports MSN 8 protocol, so we're all sitting good. now. . aMSN, i'm not so sure about, I'll have to check that out.

bonzodog
October 13th, 2006, 06:13 PM
It is well known that Gaim is one of the projects that MS contributes to on a regular basis, so gaim will keep on working with MSN.

They cannot close off access to outside clients from their network - it's illegal, at least in the EU and would see them taken to court *yet again* and fined $x million for the forseeable future.

NoWhereMan
October 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Nope, gaim supports MSN 8 protocol, so we're all sitting good. now. . aMSN, i'm not so sure about, I'll have to check that out.

sure it does; and fairly well ;)

PriceChild
October 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Ok cool thanks guys :)

kopilo
October 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
The bug in windows gaim, where it closes off on connection to msn seems to not have a fix yet.