PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Easy way to play video files.

tanari
October 31st, 2004, 07:22 PM
There is easy way to play video files!
Enable in synaptic universe repositories and install vlc and gvlc (type videolan in search window). This is all :). Watch movies.

in terminal it should look like this:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc
sudo apt-get install gvlc

Abumosmar
November 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM
There is easy way to play video files!
Enable in synaptic universe repositories and install vlc and gvlc (type videolan in search window). This is all :). Watch movies.

in terminal it should look like this:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc
sudo apt-get install gvlc

I'm having problem to get vlc work properly on my external monitor. it works great on the laptop but on the external monitor it's just black. any idea how to solve this?

HerrFickensie
November 30th, 2004, 05:07 AM
I'm having problem to get vlc work properly on my external monitor. it works great on the laptop but on the external monitor it's just black. any idea how to solve this?
I know that in Windows XP ( :mad: ) you had to set the external monitor as the primary monitor to view video on it. Find the linux command to do that and you're in business

x03
November 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Can I get VLC to play WMV3 files?

Murmex
December 3rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Can I get VLC to play WMV3 files?
Basically vlc can play a wide range of video format...
WMV files are sometimes a bit tricky but it's getting better with latest version, so it's probably interesting to get the last version from hoary (0.8.1)

I don't find gvlc so interesting and I really prefer the basic interface coming with wxvlc.

alex-gurgel
January 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Basically vlc can play a wide range of video format...
WMV files are sometimes a bit tricky but it's getting better with latest version, so it's probably interesting to get the last version from hoary (0.8.1)

I don't find gvlc so interesting and I really prefer the basic interface coming with wxvlc.

Unfortunally VLC doesn't play WMV3 files.... I've donwloaded all plugins and using VLC 0.8.1 from Hoary and can't play this type of media.
I only have sound, no image. If I start VLC from console I have this message:
"[00000272] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format."

Any suggestions ?

fritzel67
January 30th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I tried the "apt-get install vlc" command, but what's returned are a bunch of uninstallable dependencies (i.e. libdvdplay0, liddvdread2, libpng2, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

fritzel67
January 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Okay, I figured out that I needed to add the additional repositories. I now have VLC installed, and can manage to get audio out of an MPEG-2 file, but the video screen is black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :confused:

fritzel67
January 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Well, it turns out I have answered my own questions! VLC is working fine, but it's my old laptop (CPiA 366 w/ only 2.5MB video RAM) that can't handle an MPEG-2 stream. It can handle MPEG-1 streams though.

redneckr1
February 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
can it play mp4's

gylf
February 22nd, 2005, 05:16 AM
can it play mp4's
Yes, VLC will play MPEG-4 aacPlus.

cdhotfire
February 23rd, 2005, 01:47 AM
wow, thxs for this one. \\:D/

LongTooth
February 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM
Installed VLC and haven't fully tested it. But I did download a .mov (Quicktime) file. VLC plays it but no sound. How can I address this. What about adding codecs? Thanks.

PaTTeX
March 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
hello all

i have no sound in vlc

[00000269] mpeg_audio decoder: MPGA channels:2 samplerate:44100 bitrate:160
[00000273] oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)
[00000273] main audio output error: couldn't find a filter for the conversion
[00000273] main audio output error: couldn't set an output pipeline

any idea ?

Riggs
April 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I tried this, but it didn't work. Everything seems to play fine in xine though :)