PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Suggestions for Quad boot

undertherift
October 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Ok i'm an OS crazy kind of guy. I had Vista, SuSE, and Dapper succesfully run together.

AND THEN POWERSUPPLY failure. or MoBo failure. I don't know, and at this point, don't particularly care.

So i want to upgrade motherboard and cpu. (and obviosuly power supply).

I need to post this question becuase we're in a limbo stage of hardware (dual processors, 32 bit Arch v. 64 bit arch, SATA, PCIx... so on). I'm leaning towards Intel processors, because all my other systems have been AMD. Not looking to break the bank, but i want technology that should be sufficient for a while. I'm not a huge gamer, but i want performance. My current system was a Athlon 2200, 512 MB Ram, nvidia 6200 256mb, so i'm a little behind the times. I'd prefer AGP, cause i just bought an AGP card recently. Want the latest but not necesarrily the greatest. Or greatest, not neccessarily the latest.

Here's the caveat - I want it to be able to run OSx, Ubuntu, Vista and XP. I've not yet been able to install OSx becuase none of my computers were SSE2(3?) capable - a supposed requirement of OSx. I'm not sure if thats really all that true.

So i'm looking for comments from people who have successfully completed this, or just know more about it than i do.

Thanks in advance!