PDA

View Full Version : My World Has Been Opened Yet Further

Not the man I once was
October 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Greetings All,

Given that todays date, Friday 13th, is marked as an unlucky day, I had reservations of exactly what would and wouldn't happen. I logged into an X Session and began perousing the Ubuntu Release Web site as I had downloaded the Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft BETA Desktop, Server and Alternate installation images. This last night took in total 3 hours to download the images via a 2 Megabit ADSL Connection. I come to download the updated Ubuntu 6.06.1 Desktop, Server and Alternate installation images and find that my Dowstream Transfer is 600KB/s. Our ISP has given us a bandwidth increase.

Excellent. I downloaded the Desktop image within 20 minutes and the Server image will have been downloaded within 15 minutes. This is excellent. I'm now going to seek many a GNU/Linux distribution.

:mrgreen:

Regards,

Not the man I once was

Engnome
October 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Given that todays date, Friday 13th

Wouldn't have thought about it hadn't you said it.

Anyway lucky you, can't wait 'till we move and I,ll get some real internet.

raublekick
October 13th, 2006, 02:11 PM
your ISP just gave you an upgrade? man, that is nice! it took a bolt of lightning strinking my house and frying my DSL modem for Verizon to tell me that the 768k plan was old, and there was a much better 3.0mb plan that would actually be cheaper for me...

Not the man I once was
October 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
your ISP just gave you an upgrade? man, that is nice!

raublekick,

Yes they increased the Bandwidth for us, and I have it on good word tthat they are going to increase it once again as we have leased an 8 Megabit Internet Connection and it's absolutely amazing. The only term I can think of describing it being equal to is the feeling of oopeness when upgrading a 56KBp/s Internet Connection to a Broadband 512KB/s Internet Connection and I'm certain everyone can realte to the feeling of relief and decrease file transfer timing. I certainly can. I've downloaded no less than six Ubuntu images today and I'm going to download Nubuntu just now - A Security orientated distribution of Ubuntu.

Regards,

Not the man I once was

lapsey
October 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
for the love of god you must tell us the ISP

Woobles
October 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM
for the love of god you must tell us the ISP

Orange aka Wanadoo. ;)

raublekick
October 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
i guess the telecom industry in Scotland plays much more nicely with the consumer than the ones here in the US do. Verizon and Comcast = the devil. unfortunately Verizon and Comcast = my only choices.