PDA

View Full Version : Running Orca on the Edgy Live CD

Henrik
October 13th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Running the Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) Live CD with the Orca screen reader is now very easy (TM).

To start:

* Start the machine with the Edgy CD in the drive
* Wait for about 5-10 seconds (waiting too long --30 sec-- will cause the boot to continue without accessibility features)
* You are now at the boot options menu
* Press F5 for the the accessibility menu, 3 for screen reader and Enter to activate
* Press Enter again to boot the CD
* Wait 2-3 minutes as the CD boots
* You should now be greeted with 'Welcome to Orca'

You are now running a live version of the Ubuntu OS. Please explore the gnome desktop and the different applications available. If you decide you want to install it on your computer, follow these instructions:

To install:

* Find the Install icon on the desktop or in the System menu, and activate.
* Follow the steps in the instyaller.

Known issues: The partitioner section of the installer has poor accessibility, as does the City selection.

jasongrieves
October 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
nice.

Have we opened up bugs against the two acceesibility related bugs? City Selection and GParted?

I suspect the City Selected is in house and easier to fix. The Gparted program (which is what I assume is the partitioner) will be more difficult

guyster
October 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Hi all. I am brand new to Ubuntu, bu from what I see on the live CD, so far I love it. A couple problems though, so just wondering if I can get a little help. When I boot the CD, I'm able to choose the screen reader, and get orca to talk with no problem. When I click on the install icon however, I get no speech. I am totally blind, and need speech when I install. Any suggestions on how to get speech during install would be greatly appreciated. Secondly, is there an easy way to get speakup running once I install? Thanks in advance for the help.

Guy

Henrik
October 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The best guide for that is currently here: http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuEdgyEft