PDA

View Full Version : Fix the site

nikosft
October 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
The https://help.ubuntu.com/ (support for 6.06) recognizes the language of the user and it redirects him/her to the appropriapte page. If you are having Greece as your country, this page is displayed in Greek, but all link are broken. It has been always like that

matthew
October 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Here at the forums we have no control over the site you mentioned. A quick search showed me that you can contact the site owner using a link on this page: http://www.ubuntu.com/feedback
or directly via email at: webmaster@ubuntulinux.org

Tell them exactly what you wrote here, maybe without the naughty word. :)

nikosft
October 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
My appologies

matthew
October 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
No problem. I hope they can get it fixed for you!

nikosft
October 14th, 2006, 01:19 AM
The site problem gives me a reason to argue about a really bad fact in linux community in general.

I email to web page support and they reply me kindly that there is no greek documentation. There is only the index file. So if somebody reach this page has to change the location of his/her system or... or.... All these instead of not realising the greek version of the documentation and put the English instead.

And this is happening everywhere. DO NOT release things that are not yet ready!It cause us a lot of problems out of nowhere!

John.Michael.Kane
October 14th, 2006, 02:05 AM
nikosft the may not have someone staffed to complete that doc you need.

In which case you could translate the documentation into your native language. Then submit the document to be added to the wiki page you linked to.

nikosft
October 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I am not blamming for not translating the document, I blame them for releasing somehing incomplete. And ok this is only a doc, but it happens in every aspect, take for example apache Axis2. It has reached version 1.0 and still it doesn't work!

mozetti
October 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM
So, are you going to translate it for them? It would be a pretty nice thing to do, after all.

localuser
October 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
If software developers waited for *all* of an application to be complete before releasing it, then there would never be any software released. This isn't just in the Linux world as you suggest, but is a fact of life on all projects. This is why there are version upgrades and bug fixes in all of software development.

Projects like this are never complete, but are continually being improved. Deciding on which parts of the project get improved before others is a matter of priorities. My guess is that the Greek translation of the help documentation is just not on the high priority list.

But, as you say, a link to the English documentation would be helpful so you wouldn't have to change system settings every time you went to the site.

You say that when you contacted the support team you told them about the broken links, but perhaps if you suggested to them that they should link to the English pages, they could implement it. Maybe they didn't think about it.

~Cheers