PDA

View Full Version : Argh, the lack of image editing software!

KhaaL
October 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I have the need to rant because of the lack of quality image editing software. I know we got the gimp which is on par to photoshop, but I can't stand its interface. I also tried with gimpshop, but it doesn't change anything radically. The gimps interface is pretty unfamiliar to me, but the thing I dislike most is having 5 diffrent windows spread out all over my desktop.

I did try photoshop CS2 over wine, the performance was poor to say the least. Now the only alternative I seem to have is to buy pixel ( http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12 ), even though it's not completely in my taste... So I ask you all, what other image editing software is there that I might have missed? Maybe there is something out there that I'm not aware of...

Do it, set me up on a blind date with a decent image editor! :mrgreen:

ComplexNumber
October 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
try pixel(you'll have to pay for this, though, but its a very fair price) here (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12). there's also xara extreme, but i think thats more for vector graphics.

BWF89
October 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Check Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_vector_graphics_editors

lapsey
October 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
if it is only the windows that are an issue, why don't you do all your gimp work on a separate Workspace from everything else?

As I recall, photoshop had many many windows and dialogs, the only reason they were bound to a window primarily was because you couldnt get separate workspaces for windows.

also PS7 works great on wine and is superior to later versions IMO. (yes, it is possible for adobe to mess things up..)

Brunellus
October 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Posts like this annoy me to no end. OP isn't looking for an image editor--he's looking for Photoshop. The GIMP is a capable image editor, but OP doesn't want to learn the interface.

Don't want to learn the interface? Fine. But it IS an image editor. If you want Photoshop, you know where to find it.

GStubbs43
October 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Posts like this annoy me to no end. OP isn't looking for an image editor--he's looking for Photoshop. The GIMP is a capable image editor, but OP doesn't want to learn the interface.

Don't want to learn the interface? Fine. But it IS an image editor. If you want Photoshop, you know where to find it.

mm hmm... and the GIMP can do almost everything Photoshop can and more You just need to learn the new interface. :rolleyes:

KhaaL
October 12th, 2006, 11:27 PM
try pixel(you'll have to pay for this, though, but its a very fair price) here (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12). there's also xara extreme, but i think thats more for vector graphics.

I got inkscape for vector graphics, it's very neat and I'm fairly happy with it. I tried pixel demo and it was alright, but I'll have to check those on the wikipedia list (thanks for the link BWF89)

if it is only the windows that are an issue, why don't you do all your gimp work on a separate Workspace from everything else?

As I recall, photoshop had many many windows and dialogs, the only reason they were bound to a window primarily was because you couldnt get separate workspaces for windows.

also PS7 works great on wine and is superior to later versions IMO. (yes, it is possible for adobe to mess things up..)

I can't really come up with a excuse for why I don't just switch to another workspace. but again, the amount of windowses isnt my only issue, but it's the interface in general. I haven't tried PS7 in wine, I'll have to test that and see if it works any better.

i *know* it is a image editor, I think that was stated in my first post. And no, the interface doesn't really appeal to me, and it dosent sound reasonable to me why I should learn a new interface for every new program really. gimp and photoshop do the same thing, but do it very diffrently. too diffrently if you ask me.

Uh,sorry that my post annoyed you :rolleyes:

Brunellus
October 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
i *know* it is a image editor, I think that was stated in my first post. And no, the interface doesn't really appeal to me, and it dosent sound reasonable to me why I should learn a new interface for every new program really. gimp and photoshop do the same thing, but do it very diffrently. too diffrently if you ask me.

If you're unwilling to try the alternatives, then you're left with your previous choices. There is no use complaining.

Believe it or not, you are *already* learning a new interface. You have moved from Windows to Linux--presumably either KDE or GNOME. While they have their similarities, they are very different, especially under the hood.

I'm inclined to believe thatposts like yours--"there's no image editor!"-- are not dissimilar to the usual "LINUX ISN'T READY FOR THE DESKTOP" topics, in the sense that users say they want something non-specific, like, say, an image editor (or indeed, a package format, filesystem, or whatever). But when presented with the usual answer, they begin to throw up a number of objections.

By the time they've finished stating their objections, they have created a set of constraints that only one solution can satisfy: their previous operating system/applications software, usually Windows. If a user is that rigid in his requirements, then I wonder, honestly, why he even bothered migrating.

I'm not saying there are no good reasons to prefer one program over another. What I am saying, though, is that it's silly to migrate to a new operating system with such a fixed set of requirements.

AndyCooll
October 12th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Have you tried Krita?

:cool:

KhaaL
October 12th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm not a programmer so I can't do a program for myself. If people wouldn not raise their voices about things that they dislike, then those things would not be known and no improvement could be done to make them better.

The example you brought up - migrating from windows to linux - isn't the same thing. The interface diffrences between windows and gnome/KDE/XFCE aren't as big as the diffrences between photoshop and the gimp IMO. And my post stated the lack of *quality* (which is subjective) image editing software, not that they were nonexistant...

you seemed to have read my posts with already a made up mind that I just wanted to troll the forum, when in reality I wanted to see if I had missed any other alternatives than those I tried.

@AndyCooll
Not yet, but it is on my "to apt" list! ;)

ComplexNumber
October 13th, 2006, 12:03 AM
KhaaL
whats sort of functionality are you wanting from an image editing program? i mean, is it just functionality that a high end professional editor can provide?
have a look at the following website for either gnome or kde image editors:
www.kde-apps.org (http://www.kde-apps.org)
www.gnomefiles.org (http://www.gnomefiles.org)

apps such as mtpaint or mypaint are relatively good.

nalmeth
October 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I hear the windows version of gimpshop has everything in one window, so if you must have it so, you best bet would be trying it in wine.

picpak
October 13th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Have you tried Kolourpaint? I'm not joking...it has just as many features as I use in the Gimp.

maniacmusician
October 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
lol use wine to get a native linux app that already runs slow in windows? nice. personally, I think you just buck up and get used to gimp, but that's just my opinion.

There's also been a new tutorial floating around that makes running cs2 in wine a lot easier, or so i've heard. havnt actually tried it.

What exactly are you looking for in alternatives? You havn't really established many clear guidelines other than saying cs2 didnt work for you in wine. also, as ComplexNumber posted, there are a few good apps at those sites

nalmeth
October 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM
The CS2 howto is here:
http://blog.publicidadpixelada.com/2006/10/10/how-to-adobe-photoshop-cs2-on-ubuntu-10-steps/
It requires that you also have a windows box/installation.
The site is down right now, was dugg recently

I think gimpshop in wine is a better choice than running photoshop, if the interface is the users priority.

maniacmusician
October 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
but photoshop in windows is more efficient than gimp in windows. in my experience, at least.

zenwhen
October 13th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I'm not a programmer so I can't do a program for myself. If people wouldn not raise their voices about things that they dislike, then those things would not be known and no improvement could be done to make them better.

The example you brought up - migrating from windows to linux - isn't the same thing. The interface diffrences between windows and gnome/KDE/XFCE aren't as big as the diffrences between photoshop and the gimp IMO. And my post stated the lack of *quality* (which is subjective) image editing software, not that they were nonexistant...

you seemed to have read my posts with already a made up mind that I just wanted to troll the forum, when in reality I wanted to see if I had missed any other alternatives than those I tried.

@AndyCooll
Not yet, but it is on my "to apt" list! ;)

The problem here is how you described what you want. You sound as though you think any variation from Photoshop is a bug, or something that needs to be changed.

How can the Gimp be "too different" as you describe it, when it never aimed to be close to Photoshop in interface to begin with?

What has been said here is that what you want does not exist because there's no reason to replicate what is already available. There are high quality image editing applications on windows, and thanks to the Gimp and Ink scape, there are high quality image editing applications on Linux as well.

You happen to prefer the one available for windows (and Mac). That is fine, but no serious project exists that is trying to replicate that experience other than Gimpshop, which you have already dismissed.

Polygon
October 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM
just take the time to learn gimp. Gimp also has a windows port so you can use it in windows if you have to. Im sure that searching google and del.icio.us for gimp tutorials you will be able to figure out how to do the features which the oh so prized photoshop will be able to do.

not to mention the next version of gimp is supposed to have a better interface

slimdog360
October 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Ive been using gimp more and more recently, migrating from photoshop I didnt mind spending the ten minutes learning the new interface. Especially after finding the amount of free resources for it.
Go to the gimp talk forums (http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/) and look around for the plugins and scripts section. Its got a million addons for gimp which work great.
There is also the new gimp 2.4 which is coming out soon hopefully. After looking at the new features it will have I must say its looking really great. Ive been trying to get the development version running but having some dependency problems though.
You should really give gimp a try, and look for all the plugins, scripts, brushes etc you can get for it.

vayu
October 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM

It's not a matter of learning the interface. When I'm chopping up a website, I have about 20-30 images open. I quite likely also have several browser windows open and a couple of emails. In Photoshop I can tab from browser window to browser window to email to word doc to the images and back. The GIMP is only practical to work with a very few image files at a time.

DoctorMO
October 13th, 2006, 09:48 AM

It's only useful if you point out specific, valid and constructive problems. so far none have been presented.

It's not a matter of learning the interface. When I'm chopping up a website, I have about 20-30 images open. I quite likely also have several browser windows open and a couple of emails. In Photoshop I can tab from browser window to browser window to email to word doc to the images and back. The GIMP is only practical to work with a very few image files at a time.

Layout is different, learn to use virtual desktops and learn to use the quick keyboard shortcuts. I much prefare using VDs than a single desktop.

3rdalbum
October 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I use the GIMP, and I'd rather use it than Photoshop because of the license. But Photoshop does have more features, and better features; and GIMP's "three regular window" interface gives me the irrits - the two toolbars should always be on top of other windows except when GIMP is in the background.

Kindred
October 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I do like the gimp a lot, but I understand the problems people have with all the windows. Try to save an image as a jpg or something and they do seem to mount up all over the place, behind others and everything.

It's surely a nice app though, I need to put some more time into learning it.

fuscia
October 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM
and it dosent sound reasonable to me why I should learn a new interface for every new program really.

then, you should have learned gimp first.

vayu
October 14th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Layout is different, learn to use virtual desktops and learn to use the quick keyboard shortcuts. I much prefare using VDs than a single desktop.

Is there a command to minimize all GIMP windows?

argie
October 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
The gimps interface is pretty unfamiliar to me, but the thing I dislike most is having 5 diffrent windows spread out all over my desktop.

XNest with Gimp. There's a guide here somewhere.

slimdog360
October 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Is there a command to minimize all GIMP windows?
click on the 'show desktop' button in the tray. You may have to add it.

NoWhereMan
October 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM
you may want to try GIMPshop
http://www.gimpshop.net/
it's GIMP with a custom, photoshop-like interface

I never tried it, though

BWF89
October 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
you may want to try GIMPshop
http://www.gimpshop.net/
it's GIMP with a custom, photoshop-like interface

I never tried it, though
What we need now is a standerdized interface between GIMP and Inkscape like there is between Photoshop and Illistraitor and Fireworks and Freehand. Since the majority of the Linux people that edit images are going to be switching between GIMP and Inkscape to do their editing.

slimdog360
October 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
What we need now is a standerdized interface between GIMP and Inkscape like there is between Photoshop and Illistraitor and Fireworks and Freehand. Since the majority of the Linux people that edit images are going to be switching between GIMP and Inkscape to do their editing.
not a bad idea

vayu
October 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
click on the 'show desktop' button in the tray. You may have to add it.

Thanks, but that doesn't really help. That minimizes all windows. I need to be able to switch between a browser window, a word doc, a spreadsheet, my GIMP images and then to another browser. When I'm designing something I need to look back and forth at many different documents/images. I wouldn't mind the kazillion windows of the GIMP if I could operate on them as a group to minimize/maximize and move around like I can in a windows MDI environment. Putting them all in their own virtual desktop separates them nicely, but then I can't quickly pop up other documents to have a side by side look.

red_Marvin
October 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Set up some keyboard sortcuts:
Desktop left - Left windows key.
Desktop Right - Right windows key.

Then keep the browser and the other stuff at one virtual desktop and all gimp stuff on the next...

argie
October 15th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks, but that doesn't really help. That minimizes all windows. I need to be able to switch between a browser window, a word doc, a spreadsheet, my GIMP images and then to another browser. When I'm designing something I need to look back and forth at many different documents/images. I wouldn't mind the kazillion windows of the GIMP if I could operate on them as a group to minimize/maximize and move around like I can in a windows MDI environment. Putting them all in their own virtual desktop separates them nicely, but then I can't quickly pop up other documents to have a side by side look.

That was what I originally wanted in Gimp. I've gotten used to the normal interface now, but I remember seeing a thread that would put Gimp in its own window. A little search and ta-dah!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=240543&highlight=xnest+gimp

The only thing is that the buttons and stuff look ugly :(

Mathias-K
October 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I somewhat agree with the original poster.

I don't see The GIMP as a simple, highly usable program like you would imagine from the GNOME attitude towards simplicity.

I would really love to see the GIMP massively redone for a much simpler interface in one, basic windows. And if I could have a second wish, to see it enter active development again. The GIMP we have in Edgy feel almost the same to me as the one I first tried when Breezy hit the street..

mips
October 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I would really love to see the GIMP massively redone for a much simpler interface in one, basic windows. .

Had a look at GimpSHOP ?

Wonder when cinepaint glasgow will eventually be released.

ComplexNumber
October 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Had a look at GimpSHOP ?

it still hasn't arrived, but the website says this:

Glasgow is the next generation of CinePaint, a new architecture. The current release target is Oct 1st, 2006.

http://www.cinepaint.org/

Sushi
October 16th, 2006, 02:35 PM
No-one has recommended Krita yet? It seems to be progressing quite fast.

mips
October 16th, 2006, 03:28 PM
it still hasn't arrived...

They keep on moving the release date forward, was supposed to have been released months ago...

slimdog360
October 16th, 2006, 03:32 PM
corel photo-paint 9 (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphics/Corel-Photo-Paint-3947.shtml)
Its a free download but I havent used it yet. I'll have to try it on the weekend.

edit: found a few free addons, brushes etc.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/coreldrawsuitedownloads/ss/cppbrushes01.htm
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/coreldrawsuitedownloads/

slimdog360
October 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM
just wondering if anyone tried corel photopaint yet? whats it like?

zAo
October 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
... OP isn't looking for an image editor--he's looking for Photoshop. The GIMP is a capable image editor, but OP doesn't want to learn the interface.

I second that, BUT there is *no* software to manage your photo libary. Something like Lightroom/Aperture would be more than welcome!

slimdog360
October 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I used lightroom the other day. Its the same thing as picasa but looks different.

Brunellus
October 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I second that, BUT there is *no* software to manage your photo libary. Something like Lightroom/Aperture would be more than welcome!
F-spot.

Mathias-K
October 17th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Had a look at GimpSHOP ?

Yep, Gimpshop is a step in the right direction. Still, I think something like it, just more GNOMEified and under active development, should be in GNOME centric distros by default.

jnoreiko
October 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM

It's not an interface, it's a car crash.

Brunellus
October 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
It's not an interface, it's a car crash.
Works fine for me.

Again, if you want photoshop, you know where to find it.

jnoreiko
October 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Works fine for me.

Again, if you want photoshop, you know where to find it.

Why is there a menu on a toolbox?
Why is all dialog box text gobbledegook?
Why do dialog boxes (eg Levels) take over the mouse as if they are tools?
etc etc

Brunellus
October 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Why is there a menu on a toolbox?
Why is all dialog box text gobbledegook?
Why do dialog boxes (eg Levels) take over the mouse as if they are tools?
etc etc
I don't ask why. I use the tools I've got.

For me, it's the choice between the GIMP or nothing at all. I can't afford a photoshop license.

jnoreiko
October 17th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I don't ask why. I use the tools I've got.

For me, it's the choice between the GIMP or nothing at all. I can't afford a photoshop license.

Unfortunately, the answer is that lots of GIMP was written way back, before Free Software programmers had heard of a HIG (and quite frankly, nor of a GUI).
To be fair, there's lots of stuff that GIMP does really well, and I'll admit that some aspects of it that took some adjusting to are cooler than Photoshop once you've learnt it. Eg, its handling of layers.

NoWhereMan
October 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I'm surprised as nobody mentioned krita, kde graphic package. is not as powerful as the gimp, though

chaosgeisterchen
October 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Krita could be much further in development if it hadn't been dropped two times within 6 years. Hopefully the team now taking care of will stay behind its development.

M7S
October 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Photoshop for mac uses mulitple windows, doesn't it? The single window system in Photoshop for Windows is there because of the shortcommings of Windows as a window manager. It's not a feature, it's a workaround. You can't blame gimp for your unefficient way to use gnome (or xfce, kde, whatever).

Put Gimp on a own workspace and use always on top for the toolbars.

Gimp may miss some important features for pro artists that Photoshop has, but single window mode isn't one of them.

BWF89
October 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Photoshop for mac uses mulitple windows, doesn't it?
As does Macromedia's (now owned by Adobe) Fireworks and Freehand too!

Brunellus
October 18th, 2006, 05:01 AM
As does Macromedia's (now owned by Adobe) Fireworks and Freehand too!
those products are obviously not ready for the desktop.

BLTicklemonster
October 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Speaking of inkscape and gimp and all.. check this out:

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

I'm a hard sell, and I like it fine. Does some pretty amazing things.

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Speaking of inkscape and gimp and all.. check this out:

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

I'm a hard sell, and I like it fine. Does some pretty amazing things.
...WOW. downloading it right now. thanks for the link.

BLTicklemonster
October 18th, 2006, 06:12 AM
...WOW. downloading it right now. thanks for the link.

lol can't wait to see what you come up with. (did you notice the link to the windows version? there's a trial version you can download if you don't want to buy it. man I love linux)

Oh, and if this isn't ready for the desktop, I'll eat my hat.

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 06:30 AM
i'm still messing around with it, but it's pretty sweet! i love linux too. how has this stayed un-known to me? thanks again for that link.

Madpilot
October 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM
The GIMP can be tweaked extensively; it's got a slightly fiddly but very flexible internal layout.

For example, see the screenshot of my own GIMP setup, attached.

Couple of things to note in my setup:
-Two windows, one down either side of the screen, set up so that they're always on top of the images in use.
-I used GIMP's internal tabs to stack some tools/palettes on top of each other - mostly in the top-right corner, where I've got Colors/Gradiants/Palettes/Textures/Fonts all stacked.
-Left-hand window has the main Tools chooser, then the Tool Options, then a stack of misc. stuff that I use sometimes but not often: Histogram/Color Map/Channels/Selection Editor.
-Right-hand window has, as mentioned, a stack at the top, then the Layers, then Undo. That's it.
-the GIMP gets a desktop of it's own; I run eight virtual desktops and find that one-app-per-desktop is optimum, even when that app isn't the GIMP! (desktop switcher is in the far bottom right of the screen)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2339/gimpsetupkz4.th.png (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gimpsetupkz4.png)

If anyone wants, I can attach my ~/.gimp-2.2 folder, which has all the configs needed to re-create my customized GIMP setup.

MikePnKY
October 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Whatever happened to taking a good photograph in the first place??

I bought a very nice Nikon D50 Digital SLR, 3 lens and a full array of filters. About all the Gimp'ing I have to do with my photographs is cropping and scaling. Just take a decent photograph and Gimp is more than enough.

awakatanka
October 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
those products are obviously not ready for the desktop.
Forum staff troll alert. Nobody says it isn't ready for the desktop. He just can't stand the 5 windows interface, he never said that it wasn't ready for desktop.

Discuss in a normal way. ](*,)

Gimp is to messy for me to. I use krita it isn't at the same lvl as gimp but i can make it look the way i like, if i want seprate windows i can do it if i wan't one windows that shows all i can do that. It is enough for what i do.

You simply like it our you don't and have the right to dislike it.

%hMa@?b<C
October 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
you want to run GIMP in its own windows, you say?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1464116#post1464116

mips
October 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Would it be possible to do this in gimpshot. this way you will have one window & menu layouts like PS...

Brunellus
October 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Not trolling, just pre-empting.

I get tired of reading threads in this and similar veins. Again, as I've said elsewhere in this very thread: it's infuriating when users set ridiculously narrow standards for what can be considered 'acceptable' usability. They will always insist that they are being reasonable, but if you press them, what they are insisting on is a complete, click-for-click clone of their prior software.

Counter this insistence with the fact that the same task may be accomplished with different software in a different way and they will refuse, point-blank, to consider the alternative. Things must either run EXACTLY like PhotoShop or Office or Dreamweaver or even Windows in general, or the software is pronounced insufficient and Not Ready for the Desktop (TM).

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
@Brunellus: I know how you feel, but posting about it like that isn't going to help you. I advise you to save yourself some argument and just not post at all lol.

edit: i just realized that came out wrong. I wasn't trying to be cruel in language, i was just saying that arguments like these are a waste of time. It always ends the same way

BLTicklemonster
October 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I can't believe maniacmusician is coming in here being all rude like that. shame.

:)

all joking aside, I think gimpshop is silly, all it does is take gimp's loose arrangement of utilities and ties them up in an area that is windowed in. Much like perhaps, maybe, oh, just using it on your desktop in the first place. You still have a bunch of dialogues floating around.

Now how many dialogues (you know the little windows that let you do stuff with brushes or layers and all) do you need to have going at one time anyway? All I really want in addition to the default window is layers and brushes. anything else I can open, use, and close as needed. So I docked those two to my main GUI.

(docked, utility, dialogue; all these may be the exact wrong words for what I'm trying to convey, so if they are, I'm exposed as a total newb, get over it)

Hopefully this attached image will help people dock stuff.

(whoa!!! hey MM, that's one of them there staff dudes, bro)

chaosgeisterchen
October 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Hmh.. Xara looks more than just nice.

slimdog360
October 18th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Im still suprised no one seems to have tried Corel photo-paint. In my sig.

chaosgeisterchen
October 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I dunnot know whether I wanna test it.

BLTicklemonster
October 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'll give it a shot tonight and see what it's like, chaotic spooky dood.

%hMa@?b<C
October 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
@brunellis: I am just posting a link to a a thread because of a complaint that gimp opens in multiple windows, jeez. no need to flame.

@everyone else, that open all in one window does work for gimpshop

maniacmusician
October 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM
xara really is great. It's simple to use. ANd it has simple effects that are not always common or obvious in applications. go ahead and test it, it's pretty good. but use the tar package, as it's easier to get going. just unpack it, go to its directory and run /bin/xaraxl

@BLTickleMonster: lmao :D i'm sure brunellus knows what i mean

argie
October 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Im still suprised no one seems to have tried Corel photo-paint. In my sig.

Isn't that shareware?

uuwatti
October 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
photopaint is way too old. (http://http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83901&highlight=photo+paint) apt doesn't like it at all. if you try it, then
sudo apt-get install -f to remove it. i couldn't even get it to start properly, hope you have better luck.

BLTicklemonster
October 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Well now, I guess it's a good thing that I totally forgot about it last night, huh?

airtonix
April 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM
i was messing around with glade editor the other day, and it lets you make an app that has dockable windows that snap into the side of the window....exactly like dreamweaver and fireworks mx do.

now my proposal is to create an app version of the gnome-swallow-applet.

so you can run a command that swallows the individual tool windows into seperate dock windows.

feasiable or have i been misguided?

bullgr
April 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM
i run photoshop from vmware and works smoothly and with no slowing down...
but to get this performance you need a dual core cpu (intel or amd).
intel and amd intergrades in they'r new cpu's virtualization support
and so vmware use the extra power to get the virtual mashine runing smooth

igknighted
April 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
How does everyone afford photoshop?!?! It's like a $600 program, are linux users this wealthy or are we just pirates? Even photoshop elements is $100, and its terrible compared to Krita and the GIMP.

bullgr
April 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
if you are pro like me and you use photoshop for the last 7 years, but you like to use ubuntu
instead of winblows, vmware is the solution (with dual core mashine).

and for pro use, you must buy photoshop. for home use you can use gimp...

Gargamella
April 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
since I was a Windows user, I think ubuntu is very good having the gimp included by default, which has all I need

karellen
April 18th, 2007, 10:01 PM
"The gimps interface is pretty unfamiliar to me"
I think this says it all. The problem is not the lack of photo editing applications but you (more precisely your unwillingness to learn anything new). If you want photoshop, you know where and how to find it (and pay it).

Oki
April 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I guess you all missed this thread; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293798

igknighted
April 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I guess you all missed this thread; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293798

Wow, thats a great list... I notice it was missing Cinelerra in the video editing section though. I know it is available in the PCLOS repositories and (for me) works much better than Kino.

Oki
April 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM
If you are looking for software for video editing then this is the site for you; http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual-Linux_in_film_production

Take a look under the "Editing, compositing, grading and digital intermediate":) And when you have found what you needed then take a look at the wintendo option and what it would cost you:) :)

potentia
October 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM
mm hmm... and the GIMP can do almost everything Photoshop can and more You just need to learn the new interface. :rolleyes:

Rubbish. GIMP is a toy compared to Photoshop. A TOY! Krita is getting there but is too slow.

GIMP is okay for editing web pictures, but nothing more.

igknighted
October 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Rubbish. GIMP is a toy compared to Photoshop. A TOY! Krita is getting there but is too slow.

GIMP is okay for editing web pictures, but nothing more.

I've got to agree... Krita is a much nicer app than GIMP for doing real photo manipulation. I can't wait to see the KOffice 2.0 implementation of Krita.

jnoreiko
October 23rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
(more precisely your unwillingness to learn anything new)

It's not new. It's OLD. GIMP's interface is ancient and awful.
Criticising people for not wanting to adapt to GIMP's interface is like criticising them for not wanting to adapt to spikes in their shoes.
So what if it's free? Being free isn't an excuse for lack of quality.

PartisanEntity
October 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
This reminds me of myself when I first started using Ubuntu a year ago. I made these very same comments, that gimp sux and photoshop is better. However, after I began to use gimp more and more, I realised that gimp is very similar to photoshop, I realised that once you get used to the interface, you can get the same work done.

I am still of the opinion that photoshop is better in some areas: layer styles, text editing, and some issues with work area handling, but I have realised that gimp covers 90% of my needs as an amateur.

Now concerning the interface of gimp, you just have to get used to it. I agree that there is room for improvement and that some menus don't seem logical or intuitive, but all of this can be changed and improved through feedback and testing in future releases.