PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a New Ubuntu Laptop?

FeraTech
October 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM
My company has recently acquired a shipment of No-OS laptops. We have several employees that use Ubuntu and we are looking into the possibility at selling the laptops retail with Ubuntu preinstalled. Laptop specifications are as follows:

Processor Brand AMD
Processor Class Turion 64 MT-30
Processor Speed 1.6GHz
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Speed DDR333 (PC2700)
Memory Slots (Total) 2
Memory Slots (Available) 1
Capacity 40GB
Optical Drive Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Display Type WXGA TFT LCD
Viewable Screen Size 15.4"

Price $600.00
Shipping not included.
Laptops are refurbished.

More memory and other options can also be requested.

flashbackk
October 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM
video card???
wifi?????

I would like to encourage projects like this.....8)

Anonii
October 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM
No. I prefer an option of "no OS". I can install Ubuntu myself, thanks :]

Nice thinking tho, I guess that many people will like this.

FeraTech
October 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure WiFi is not included but I'm going to get more detailed specifications later today.

Kateikyoushi
October 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Seems like a good deal to me, and would get one.
Today been looking for a new notebook for my girlfirends dad, this could fill that role.

[h2o]
October 12th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I think the proce was ok, but I would never buy a computer with less than 1GB of RAM and definately not one without built-in wifi.

But otherwise it seems like a pretty good deal. My current laptop have about the same specs.

dca
October 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hmmmm, nope. I would rather buy an OS-less laptop. On top of that, I would rather buy a bare-boned laptop and install my own mem, wifi card (if nec, HDD, OS, etc... You'd think there would be a significant $saving$ but what do I know. I bought the crappy Dell listed below a couple years ago for less than four hundred dollars brand new w/ all the goodies (if you consider XPSP2 goodies) where now, forget it... I can't even find Linux-based laptops or barebone laptops for less than what Dell sells equally-stocked units for...

Senak^2
October 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Sure if I needed another laptop with Ubuntu on it. But I've got 6 lappys already.

Anonii
October 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Sure if I needed another laptop with Ubuntu on it. But I've got 6 lappys already.
Sorry, but I couldnt resist.

Sup mate, how you doing? How 'bout joining our PARTY?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Karl_Marx.jpg

ashleycrue
October 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I think this is a good idea but my lap top already runs ubuntu and I don't need another(just yet any way).The price is good as well.

randomnumber
October 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I agree with no OS, I like to build my own desktop and plan to build my own laptop next time. I got overcharged for my current laptop( inspiron 9300 ).

Flamekebab
October 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
If it was installed and configured to perfection, it would be great. I'd buy quite a few for friends and family. However, as you give the price in USD, I imagine that it'd be kinda pointless for me to buy them! (I'm in the UK)

kvonb
October 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Which kind of $?

New Zealand dollars? Hong Kong dollars? Australian dollars?

Big Willie
October 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I would want more ram too..:twisted:

funrider
November 6th, 2006, 06:18 AM
will you guy provide software and hardware support? frankly this is a bit expensive.

gerowen
November 6th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Seems like a really good price for the included hardware, assuming it has integrated wireless. This would be a really good way to get laptops out to people who can't necessarily afford a $1,000 USD Windows based laptop, and to promote the concept of Linux as a viable option for a desktop operating system.

wongpk
November 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I would buy one if...
1, The price is not so... expensive.
2, A lower end system. I think ubuntu works on some old machine isn't it?

I'm planning to get a second hand laptop for ubuntu, since I sold out my desktop for place saving LOL~!

sophtpaw
November 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Lets see...$600 thats about £320 (uk) sounds good, but you really do need to give the full spec on this if you are genuinely advertising.

The problem is, and someone else made the point too, that people like Dell even with Windows pre-installed not only equal but beat all other competition. For under £400, including shipping and other stuff like bags etc, Dell (http://http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/specialitems/nb_category_landing_page?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs)
do all sorts of deals. Acutally, the official website doesn't show the sort of 'special offers' that are constantly advertised here in the daily broadsheet papers.

I really would love to see and then support Linux-preinstalled Laptops, but so far all i've seen is too expensive, and i'm better off getting a windows-installed laptop and then installing the Linux flavour of choice myself

lyceum
November 16th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I thinks selling them with Ubuntu is a great idea, but with no wifi and 40 gigs on the hard drive, $600 is a bit much. I just bought a laptop w/ XP with 80 gigs and took XP off, the cost: $450. This is a brand new machine. You may also want to include the Ubuntu guide and try to sell them on e-bay. Just a thought.

Henry Rayker
November 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Those specs sound EXACTLY like my laptop. I got it a year ago with a bag, some freeby software that I threw away (no OS, though...funny), and a wireless mouse (that broke =\ but I did drop it out of my pocket down some stairs on campus). It was $700 brand new including shipping.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with a smaller screen and a better video chipset.

Mine has an integrated SiS video chipset no dedicated memory for it, it borrows some of the system memory. Is this the case on these?

Old Pink
November 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM
No, I'd prefer to install myself, and in my opinion $600 is a little too high for this low spec laptop. :)

OttifantSir
December 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Not going to buy a laptop for myself, since I know I will get one for my birthday.
However, had I been in the market for myself, I would definitely have considered this. Really hard. But, being in Norway I guess I'm not lucky enough to avoid customs. So, I would have to check that too before deciding. I guess my response is Possibly.

newlinux
December 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Sound okay depending on support/warranty. I bought a laptop preinstalled with ubuntu (see my signature) - but it was a 12" with a little more RAM, hard drive, an SD card reader, a dual layer dvd-writer, and integrated wireless.

I'm a little concerned with building my own laptop so I would probably be interested with support and warranty. Otherwise, I'd probably compare a cheap laptop with no OS or XP with this deal. I just got a 14", 512MB DDR2, Celeron M 1.4Ghz, 60GB HDD, Dual layer DVD writer, and wifi for $399 with rebate (Windows XP), $479 without. That was a Thanksgiving deal, but if I saw that over this (or even the laptop I bought in July (although I am pretty partial to my 12" screen, which I love) I would buy the $399 one.

utabintarbo
December 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Despite all the calls for no-OS boxes here, I would think there is a market for a Linux laptop with all the "hard" hardware issues resolved. You don't necessarily want to aim at geeks - they will do it themselves, but at the broader "somewhat computer literate, but want something to work with" market. Those people don't generally hang out here though.

Good Luck!

ESPOiG
December 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM
currency??

Circus-Killer
December 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM
to be honest, i am currently looking to buy a new laptop very very soon. i would actually buy the one mentioned in the post, but buying overseas is not worth it due to the weak south africa rand.

but when i do buy my new laptop, i will make sure it doesnt come with windows xp. and once i've bought it, i will put ubuntu onto it straight away. can't wait. been waiting for this laptop for soooo long.

anontheanon
April 14th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I want to say that I would support Linux, but your hardware is expensive and under powered.

Why would I ever pay more than it would cost to buy a Windows computer when installing Ubuntu, either dual or by itself, is cheaper and easier?

I like to support AMD, but I need a minimum of 2.2ghrz, preferably 3.6 with a higher end video card and HDMI out, and good battery life.

Considering what you can get for $400 I probably wouldnt pay $600 for 1.6ghrz.

coffeecat
April 14th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Closed for necromancy.