PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Saying Hello and My thoughts on Ubuntu

aznlnx
October 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hey fellas. Dropping by and saying a quick hello and wanted to let you all know that I'm so feeling Ubuntu.

I'm a regular windows user because of work but I do like some of things that Windows has to offer. However, there are things that perturb the crap out of me using Windows. And that is the amount of spyware,malware and viruses out there. This is one of the major reasons why I tried out Ubuntu.

I am fairly careful which sites I click on with my windows machine but the fact that I know Ubuntu will not get infected by malware, spyware, and viruses makes me more comfortable. Also I love the fact how I can customize my desktop and make it look like anything I want. So cool!

Also the fact that a very small percentage of people who run Ubuntu/Linux makes me comfortable as well since hackers will not be interested in sabotaging us.....yet...HAHAHA! I guess that will happen when Linux takes over the world...lol

Other than the internet, I can play all my mp3s, my mpegs, ipod, you name it. Everything that I used to do with windows I can do with Ubuntu with a much cooler look and a kick **** desktop. LOL!

But all in all I just want to say this OS is great. I love it. It does take a bit of thinking and patience to set it up right.
But in the end its definitely worth it.

Thanks for all the support this forum offers and the tons of information out there to help myself and other newbies.

Ben Sprinkle
October 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
A virus or worm in linux requires root or admin. That's why they don't work
Nice to see you like Ubuntu, and welcome to the forums! :)

aznlnx
October 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
HeHe...I know ;)

I'm going to convert my brother soon since he's a total retard with the internet. I feel like I have to educate all my friends now since they have no clue what is happening to their machines in a week using the internet. HAHAHA

First day they get a pc they say...WOW THIS IS FAST!
Next week...DAMMIT! This thing s@cks! Its slooooooow...lol

Rhubarb
October 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
You're welcome here, enjoy.

As with the idea that hackers would target ubuntu if it became more popular ... it's partially true. Most web servers in the world run Linux, they'd be big targets for hackers - but they're running ok.

Rhubarb
October 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Heheh, looks like you're the newest victim to fall prey to the ubuntu virus:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272803

Echo35
October 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Another nice thing about Ubuntu, not bloated at all, unlike that other operating system :D I custom built a pretty nice rig and set up Ubuntu, and it works wonders. In fact, the only thing I can't do as well with Ubuntu is gaming, and by that, I mean Window$ games. Not much of a problem though, I just dual boot Window$ when I need to game, and boot Ubuntu for EVERYTHING else. Welcome aboard!

PriceChild
October 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the community!

I've moved your thread to the Cafe as i think its more suited here :)

Pricey

ishift
October 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
i totally agree. ubuntu totally rocks.

i was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about linux vs windows. and the main problem he had (being a windows user) is going "against the current."

i just told him that ubuntu does all the stuff windows does anyway and it's more stable. the only problem i have right now is running photoshop cs2 and gaming. however, i dual-boot only for them. as for everything else, i have fallen in love with ubuntu.

oh and edgy is amazingly awesome. i can't wait for the official release.

:D keep it up guys!

aznlnx
October 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Rhubarb

Virus? Damn you! That was funny. I clicked the thread and realized it was a joke. Wise guy! LOL! 8)

Rhubarb
October 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM
heheh

PriceChild
October 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
the only problem i have right now is running photoshop cs2
You may be interested in a little thread i approved not long ago:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=275488&highlight=cs2

krypto_wizard
October 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
welcome to the world of ubuntu

viper
October 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Welcome, and keep on spreading the word!!

revelationman
January 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Here is my thoughts on Ubuntu and Linux

I have had Ubuntu on dual partition now for a month and it has been fun, I also have Xubuntu on older Compaq Deskpro

My view is Linux in general is a few years away from really taken a significant chunk out of the Microsoft Monopoly ,

There is still hardware and software issues in linux also ease of use, after so many years of opening a simple exe i do not think people are ready to compile a program ,

But how far does Linux go that is the question does it loose it's uniques or does Linux get even more easier for the home user,

Another issue the more Linux becomes a Microsoft system does it loose it stability and most of all security ,

I suggest to people to run a dual boot when running Ubuntu , you can learn and still run programs you need in Windows

Case in point my webcam is sob to get working in Linux even though i have done all the right things as suggested on this forum.

Like everyone I need this working now I cannot **** about so I load Windows Vista and bang it works

Again I do not feel this is a fault with Linux but manufactures that refuse to believe that there is another viable OS other then Microsoft .

The good thing is the more Ubuntu gains popularity maybe just maybe software and hardware manufactures will start creating more drivers and software for Linux

In conclusion I feel it is still a few years to go but the future looks very bright for open source

We just have to keep spreading the word
YES THERE IS ALTERNATIVE TO THE RIPOFF CALLED MICROSOFT
IT IS CALLED UBUNTU

:guitar::guitar:

Iehova
January 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
There is still hardware and software issues in linux

That entirely depends upon the computer :P Unfortunately, in the main experienced linux users will pick hardware or peripherals based on their compatibility with linux, whilst its the newbies who often own (unwittingly) hardware that is less compatible, so they're the ones who have the problems. A shame, really.

also ease of use, after so many years of opening a simple exe i do not think people are ready to compile a program ,

I can't imagine that the vast majority of 'average' users would ever need to compile anything? Certainly not programs, that's what the repos are for...

Another issue the more Linux becomes a Microsoft system does it loose it stability and most of all security ,

Something would have to go seriously wrong for linux to lose its stability and security advantages over Windows, at least, windows as it currently stands. ;)

I suggest to people to run a dual boot when running Ubuntu , you can learn and still run programs you need in Windows

Hardware issues aside (which, unfortunately, probably affect newbies more, as I said), the majority of average users don't use any programs on Windows that they can't use in ubuntu (using equivalents, obviously). The obvious contradictions to that are games and certain (usually work-related) proprietary software like AutoCAD. In that case, yes, dual-boot is the reasonable option.

Case in point my webcam is sob to get working in Linux even though i have done all the right things as suggested on this forum.

Like everyone I need this working now I cannot **** about so I load Windows Vista and bang it works

I'm sorry to hear that your webcam doesn't work...

The good thing is the more Ubuntu gains popularity maybe just maybe software and hardware manufactures will start creating more drivers and software for Linux

Also, the more retailers, like Dell, who sell linux pre-installed, the less of a problem this will be.

We just have to keep spreading the word
YES THERE IS ALTERNATIVE TO THE RIPOFF CALLED MICROSOFT
IT IS CALLED UBUNTU

:guitar::guitar:

Amen to that. :guitar:

Praadur
January 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Grats to the OP!

I've only recently started running Ubuntu dedicated myself. I used to run it on a dual-boot on my old PC but I kept Windows around for gaming and for those occasions when a friend wanted to drag me off into some proprietary piece of software or other.

It eventually gets to the point where one has to say 'No.' I got to that point myself, and I just dropped Windows like a bad habit. I couldn't help but feel that running such an OS was torturing my poor machine and I really can't have that.

The only thing that Linux doesn't really do better than Windows at the moment is commercial games, but thanks to Vista I think a lot of users (including myself) are jumping ship away from Windows to consoles for their commercial games, as to be honest I get a lot more enjoyment out of playing Unreal Tournament III on my PS3 and having a dedicated Linux desktop than I would playing said game in Windows.

I think eventually these companies are going to sit up and wonder why the games they're selling under this 'Games for Windows thingy' aren't selling at all, at which point they're going to wonder if they should take a survey to find out why.

For Ubuntu and Linux distributions in general, I think the future's very bright and it's going to be an interesting ride, and due to friendly and powerful distributions like Ubuntu gaining prominence, it's going to be an interesting ride for all of us.

So, to the OP I say welcome on-board, it's good to have you!

revelationman
January 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
That is just it the more popular Ubuntu or Linux in general gets the more that hardware and software manufactures have to start developing for Linux

Yah for me that WebCam is serious issue for me since my family live oversea and the Webcam is form of communication , so that is really the only reason I have a dual partition and also lots of files have been burnt onto DVD disc in vista and cannot be read in linux

But overall it is a good system accept for the ****** firefox freezing my system up

Iehova
January 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
That is just it the more popular Ubuntu or Linux in general gets the more that hardware and software manufactures have to start developing for Linux

Yah for me that WebCam is serious issue for me since my family live oversea and the Webcam is form of communication , so that is really the only reason I have a dual partition and also lots of files have been burnt onto DVD disc in vista and cannot be read in linux

Is the DVD drive not recognized at all or is it just specific DVDs, like videos?

But overall it is a good system accept for the ****** firefox freezing my system up

You sound like you're having a pretty bad time with things. You might want to try the firefox 3 beta, or possibly something like Opera. Hopefully either of those two would solve your problem.

snickers295
January 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hey fellas. Dropping by and saying a quick hello and wanted to let you all know that I'm so feeling Ubuntu.

I'm a regular windows user because of work but I do like some of things that Windows has to offer. However, there are things that perturb the crap out of me using Windows. And that is the amount of spyware,malware and viruses out there. This is one of the major reasons why I tried out Ubuntu.

I am fairly careful which sites I click on with my windows machine but the fact that I know Ubuntu will not get infected by malware, spyware, and viruses makes me more comfortable. Also I love the fact how I can customize my desktop and make it look like anything I want. So cool!

Also the fact that a very small percentage of people who run Ubuntu/Linux makes me comfortable as well since hackers will not be interested in sabotaging us.....yet...HAHAHA! I guess that will happen when Linux takes over the world...lol

Other than the internet, I can play all my mp3s, my mpegs, ipod, you name it. Everything that I used to do with windows I can do with Ubuntu with a much cooler look and a kick **** desktop. LOL!

But all in all I just want to say this OS is great. I love it. It does take a bit of thinking and patience to set it up right.
But in the end its definitely worth it.

Thanks for all the support this forum offers and the tons of information out there to help myself and other newbies.
Welcome to Ubuntu!
The only way you could get a virus is if you use a virus program as su or sudo.
Be careful about commands that have sudo, su or rm in them, they can cause trouble so check this out: http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=11