PDA

View Full Version : Viewing images with a digital camera

Dace
October 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Some time ago I thought that it would be nice to use my digital camera to view images that have been modified in some photo retouching program or haven't been originally taken with a digital camera at all. In most cases digital cameras won't display such images just by throwing them in the camera. I found a program called TVwriter that converts images into a JPEG-format that digital cameras accept, but unfortunately it's for Windows only and a commercial product. After searching around the net I found out that for some reason Python Imaging Library produces JPEGs that some - but not all - digital cameras are able to display. Based on this find I created a TVwriter-inspired GUI for converting images into camera viewable JPEG-format using Python Imaging Library. It works fine with my camera.

However, since I only got one digital camera myself, I'd like to know now which digital cameras are able to display the images produced by Python Imaging Library. So if you are interested in using your digital camera as image viewer, please try this small program and tell me if it worked. Don't forget to tell what's the make and model of your camera.

The program can be found here: http://iki.fi/dace/camerizer

Thank You

robinl
October 12th, 2006, 09:09 AM
It would be helpful if you post your camera on here. Many camera should be able to just read any random normal JPEG no problem rather than requiring a special JPEG.

Dace
October 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM
It would be helpful if you post your camera on here.

My camera is in the list on the website for the program I've created.

Many camera should be able to just read any random normal JPEG no problem rather than requiring a special JPEG.

None of the cameras I've come across have been able to display all JPEGs, but if that's the case with new digital cameras, that's great. With that kind of cameras the program is of course useless.

Anyway, there are some cameras that need specially crafted JPEGs, and I'd like to know with which of those Camerizer helps.

bigd0gg
October 14th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I have this issue. I copied a file from my hard drive which was originally from my camera so the file name was consistent with the cameras format. However, when I turned on my camera the image was not detected. It displays when I browse via Ubuntu but not through the camera.