PDA

View Full Version : What would you like better Iceweasel or Icewolf as the name to replace firefox.

marcus2004
October 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
What would you like better Iceweasel or Icewolf as the name to replace firefox.
I am thinking Iceweasel is sounding too wimpy for a browser. I would want a cool browser.

For more info on Firefox and iceweasel see here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270631&highlight=iceweasel

transactionlogfiller
October 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM
IceLiger, ideally.

Krakatos
October 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Errrrr..... isn't the name already decided anyway?

At any rate I think I like more ice weasel. more cute and ironic

chickengirl
October 11th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Icewolf! Icewolf, icewolf, icewolf. I hate iceweasel.

kalle314
October 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I like "Iceweasel"! One good thing as that it sounds like something very fast - "quick as a weasel" is even a common expression in some languages (swedish, german).
Wolf might be a more cool and dangerous animal than weasel, but that also makes it sound more pretentious to have it as the name for your browser.

John.Michael.Kane
October 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Aslong as the program works does not tread on anyone's toes or license. Then it should not matter what it is named..

just my thoughts

GStubbs43
October 12th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Iceweasel, or else all those icon's everyone's been making are a waste. :(

chickengirl
October 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I like "Iceweasel"! One good thing as that it sounds like something very fast - "quick as a weasel" is even a common expression in some languages (swedish, german).
Wolf might be a more cool and dangerous animal than weasel, but that also makes it sound more pretentious to have it as the name for your browser.
It also sounds like something sneaky and untrustworthy, which is the basis of my objection.

Gtaylor
October 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hrmm, I've got a real unique idea. How about "Firefox" with a nice little logo of a Fox on the globe :)

banjobacon
October 12th, 2006, 01:26 AM
"Ubuntu Web Browser"

Catchy, ain't it?

TheRingmaster
October 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM
"Ubuntu Web Browser"

Catchy, ain't it?
It could work!!

NoTiG
October 12th, 2006, 01:48 AM
It also sounds like something sneaky and untrustworthy, which is the basis of my objection.

and a Fox is trustworthy? *happens to remember a story about a fox crossing the river with a sheep or something* .

I like ice weasel, because they are being forced to change the name so might as well use the chance to make fun of the firefox name itself.

marcus2004
October 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
That is true about making fun of firefox with the name. I do like it for that.

jeffc313
October 12th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I dont get how 'iceweasel' is maing fun of 'firefox'

GStubbs43
October 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Fire -> Ice
Fox -> Weasel

It's like the opposite... it sounds kinda dumb, but since it is basically Firefox, it is sorta making fun of it. :p

jeffc313
October 12th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Fire -> Ice
Fox -> Weasel

It's like the opposite... it sounds kinda dumb, but since it is basically Firefox, it is sorta making fun of it. :p

i get the Fire<==>Ice part but i dont see how weasel is the opposite of fox?

GStubbs43
October 12th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I was actually thinking that earlier today... as in wht I said "sorta making fun" ... yeah... I really don't knnow what I'm talking about. ;)

maniacmusician
October 12th, 2006, 02:22 AM
because, weasels are.....smarter?

K.Mandla
October 12th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I'm just used to "Iceweasel" now. And I can't possibly change my ways. :D

Krakatos
October 12th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I'll say this once more: ice weasel is
1) ironic
2) cute
3) not overtly"cool" or something like that

I think a name like this is much better

xXx 0wn3d xXx
October 12th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Icewolf sounds so much better then "Iceweasle." In fact, I don't even like Icewolf that much...

banjobacon
October 12th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Wouldn't a spider-related name make more sense, since the program would be used to access the world wide web?

Regardless, I think I'll stick with Epiphany.

chickengirl
October 12th, 2006, 04:36 AM
and a Fox is trustworthy? *happens to remember a story about a fox crossing the river with a sheep or something* .

I like ice weasel, because they are being forced to change the name so might as well use the chance to make fun of the firefox name itself.
Foxes are cool. Weasels are not.

Iandefor
October 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
The name Iceweasel's grown on me, but I do love the sound of Icewolf.

Gaah.

Polygon
October 12th, 2006, 05:09 AM
eh i like iceweasel better. I really like how they came up with the name too =P

Parkotron
October 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I'll say this once more: ice weasel is
1) ironic
2) cute
3) not overtly"cool" or something like that

While I agree with you on 1) and 3), I'm forced to strongly disagree on 2). I would have to guess that, since you called them "cute", you've never had any interaction with weasles.

Weasles are voracious predators built for killing. They routinely take down prey considerably bigger than themselves. They're a bane to poultry and rabbit farmers everywhere. And possibly most important, they smell quite bad.

I'm not trying to give you a lecture. I feel a need to warn you, before it's too late. The moment you underestimate a weasle is the moment a foul-smelling flurry of teeth, claws and fur runs up your pantleg shredding any tender flesh it encounters. :)

lonce
October 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM
What you should do is find out what eats fox's in the wild. Then name it Ice what ever that would be. Like "Ice-guy in red jacket on horse with horn and dog". Now that is bad ***.

BWF89
October 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Iceweasel is way cooler

sanderella
October 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I like firefox very much, and that log is so cute.

How about sparkfox or redfox?

sanderella
October 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I meant to write logo, not log (stupid woman.):(

chaosgeisterchen
October 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I find Iceweasel rather cute. And I like the icons.

RussianVodka
October 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
IceWolf is totaly cool! There is nothing cooler than "IceWolf"! Except maybe the Power Rangers. They are way better than Barny!!! Everything in life is about being tough and ferocious!

And that's the mentality of a 12 year old.

And another reason I don't like neither the name "Iceweasel" or "Icewolf" is because it just doesn't roll off the toung quite like the name Firefox.

They should try making a catchy name that's "I...I...".

maniacmusician
October 13th, 2006, 12:06 AM
....IceImp?

lol just kidding.

TheRingmaster
October 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
how about IceSlug for those of you still struggling with dial-up.

EDIT: Firefly is a cool name.

banjobacon
October 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Fiferox

ANTDx1
October 13th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I agree with whoever suggested using the name 'Firefox' with a nice creative fire-like fox around a blue globe. I'd be embarassed to distribute an OS using the world-class browser, IceWeasel, produced by Gnuzilla.

picpak
October 13th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Icewolf. Iceweasel is the worst name for a program since the GIMP.

*edit* Now that I think about it, why not Weavewolf? It weaves up the web, and it's as powerful as a wolf.

NoTiG
October 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Icewolf. Iceweasel is the worst name for a program since the GIMP.

*edit* Now that I think about it, why not Weavewolf? It weaves up the web, and it's as powerful as a wolf.

the gimp is a cool name. hell we are using a DE named "gnome" . And a name like 'google' sounds more like baby talk than a real word.... pre-2000 at least. I wish they would call it swiftfox, and collaborate with swiftfox for specialized builds, since after all thats what it is... a specialized build.

grte
October 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM
You guys were willing to use a browser with a name as stupid as firefox (which, by the way, was their third choice, after the first two were poo-pooed), yet iceweasel is a problem?

Seriously, firefox? Phoenix was way better, had it not already been used. Even firebird was better, though still lame.

argie
October 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM
That's what I thought too.

Besides Iceweasel has three syllables and Icewolf has two.

Still, I can live with Iceweasel.

chaosgeisterchen
October 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
how about IceSlug for those of you still struggling with dial-up.

EDIT: Firefly is a cool name.

Slugs are cool, but do they make a good image regarding speed ;) ?

TheRingmaster
October 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Slugs are cool, but do they make a good image regarding speed ;) ?
that is why I said dial-up

red_Marvin
October 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
If Icewolf is chosen for a name then we must rename the google search field wherewolf :mrgreen:

kopilo
October 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Personally I liked all the icons they came up with for Deer Park, and actually perfer that name to ice weasel and ice wolf.

picpak
October 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
the gimp is a cool name. hell we are using a DE named "gnome" . And a name like 'google' sounds more like baby talk than a real word.... pre-2000 at least.

The Gimp sounds like something purposely designed to f**k things up. Gnome is pretty weird too.

But, that's a different discussion for a different time...

limitedmage
October 13th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Whatever gets chosen, I'll stick with Swiftfox.

Peepsalot
October 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Wouldn't a spider-related name make more sense, since the program would be used to access the world wide web?
I agree. We could call it ArachniWeasel and the icon would be an eight legged(and eyed) weasel scurrying across a globe.
:lol:

jeffc313
October 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Whatever gets chosen, I'll stick with Swiftfox.

a non open source browser, suit yourself. I use ice-whatever or fire-whatever when the decision is made.

McLogic
October 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Ice Wolf is better to say, and it makes people think of fire fox. People know what a wolf is and it has the right ideas: strong, fast, wild, free (aka freedom).

Zyphrexi
November 4th, 2006, 05:14 AM
i'll use whatever is the best.

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Iceweasel... though swiftfox would have been nice :D

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Taco! Ole!\\:D/

EdThaSlayer
November 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Iceweasel doesn't sound bad. At least it flows you know?Because icewolf...would sound very strange...

TheRingmaster
November 5th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Iceweasel doesn't sound bad. At least it flows you know?Because icewolf...would sound very strange...
i agree, but iceweasel isn't really a memorable name.