PDA

View Full Version : Canon Eos 400D/Digital Rebel: Does it work with Linux?

Sushi
October 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'm about to upgrade my Canon Digital Ixus 500 in to Canon Eos 400D. In fact, I should be buying the camera tomorrow. Are there any issues with this camera (well, it's a brand-new model, so comments regarding 350D and 300D are propably valid as well) when used in GNOME?

Cyraxzz
October 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I've tried a wide variety of digital cameras on Ubuntu and every one was deteced.

xmastree
October 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Yep. I think virtually all modern digital cameras use the generic 'USB storage device' format.

Better still, get a card reader.

prizrak
October 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
All the Canon cameras I tried with Ubuntu worked just fine. On the off chance it doesn't you can get a card reader to read the memory card directly. If I remember correctly the Rebel uses CF.

Sushi
October 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for replies, I was 98% sure that it will work, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before I shell out the cash :). Partially off-topic: do we have a photography-thread here? It might be interesting to share pics we have taken.

slimdog360
October 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM
off topic here but I am just so excited. I went to get a new camera to day, the fuji s5600. Its about $370 Australian, well any way when I purchased it the guy put the wrong camera in the bag, the fuji s6500. Its about $600 Australian. Not only that they person at the checkout didnt charge me for the uv filter I got with it, about another $25.

Im just so happy.

mips
October 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Im just so happy.

I would feel guilty and take it back. I derive no joy benefitting from the mistakes of others.

reazn
October 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM
i agree..

i just got a 400d today, waiting for it to charge so i can head out and snap people :P

Sushi
October 18th, 2006, 08:00 AM
i agree..

i just got a 400d today, waiting for it to charge so i can head out and snap people :P

I have used mine for close to week now, and I love the thing. Granted, my previous camera was a Ixus 500, a pocket-camera. Fine camera, but no DSLR. It's amazing how the sound the camera makes when taking the picture can make the whole process so much nicer. And the quality of the pictures has been fabulous :). And this is with the kit-lens.

I really like how I can tell the camera exactly what I want it to do, instead like it was with Ixus, where I could just make "suggestions", and hope that the camera agrees with me.

slimdog360
October 18th, 2006, 08:06 AM
It's amazing how the sound the camera makes when taking the picture can make the whole process so much nicer.
I love that sound.

mips
October 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Something I would like is the Olympus E-400 with a 14-54mm f1:2.8-3.5 lens. Would make for a nice compact package with very good glass.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_E-400.htm
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_ZUIKODIGITAL_14-54mm_1_2_8-3_5.htm

%hMa@?b<C
October 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
something like the PureDigital Pv2 one time use digital camera is usually good enough for me. I have 6 of them, all reusable.

xmastree
October 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I really like how I can tell the camera exactly what I want it to do,I have a dslr (D70), and what I like is the ease of use. that may sound daft, but my previous one, Oly C-750, whilst very good was very difficult to use manually.
Everything was menu driven, and manual focussing was a joke since the resolution of the LCD was nowhere near enough. With the D70 there are two wheels on the right hand side, one for shutter, one for aperture.

Simple, quick and efficient. :cool:

Brunellus
October 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
To the OP: the camera *should* mount as USB mass storage. No issues there.

I doubt that you'll be able to control the camera remotely with a Linux machine, though.

to the DSLR-slingers on this thread: I use a Pentax *ist DS and a motley collection of manual-focus lenses. And Ubuntu. And (*GASP*) the GIMP. I LIKE it that way.

reazn
November 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I have used mine for close to week now, and I love the thing. Granted, my previous camera was a Ixus 500, a pocket-camera. Fine camera, but no DSLR. It's amazing how the sound the camera makes when taking the picture can make the whole process so much nicer. And the quality of the pictures has been fabulous :). And this is with the kit-lens.

I really like how I can tell the camera exactly what I want it to do, instead like it was with Ixus, where I could just make "suggestions", and hope that the camera agrees with me.

i've always used an SLR..

i bought a ixus for taking 'happy snaps'

used it once, hate the experience..

now i have a DSLR - oh i love it.

roderikk
November 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I haven't got a DSLR myself, but my father has and I am trying to get him to switch to Ubuntu... so does the GIMP provide RAW support...?

red_Marvin
November 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I have a Canon 350D, importing works like a charm, but I have to set connection mode to Print/PTP and not PC connection.
(Why do they have to release the 400D ~four months after I bought mine, and for the same price too](*,) )
I oonly have a single lens right now (Sigma 18-50mm 1:2.8 EX DC (Nice)) but I'd love to get my hands on a 200mm)

xmastree
November 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM
so does the GIMP provide RAW support...?Check out dcraw (http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) (it's in the repos). I've used it with my Nikon D70.

mips
November 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I haven't got a DSLR myself, but my father has and I am trying to get him to switch to Ubuntu... so does the GIMP provide RAW support...?

Also have a look at LightZone for Linux which is FREE and has RAW support as far as i know !
http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/

cenithx
November 30th, 2006, 04:48 AM
How come everyone elses 400D works and mine doesn't..

Mine comes up asking if I want to import/ignore when I plug it in, but pressing import brings up this error:

An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.

Help? ](*,)

bjhom
December 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I get the same error. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Mine comes up asking if I want to import/ignore when I plug it in, but pressing import brings up this error:

Help? ](*,)

mips
December 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I doubt that you'll be able to control the camera remotely with a Linux machine, though.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1018&thread=21184261

menachem
December 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM

An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.
Help?

Check out this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296342

UbuWu
December 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
For RAW images, nothing beats Rawstudio (http://rawstudio.org/)

eragorn
December 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Just got my first SLR 400D\\:D/ , I'm loving it. Today the fam is heading out downtown it should be fun. The learning curve isn't as bad as I was expecting, although I am glad to have found this thread. My previous camera was olympus c-2100 and had lots of fun with it over the years, however its nothing like a SLR!

xmastree
December 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
My previous camera was olympus c-2100 and had lots of fun with it over the years, however its nothing like a SLR!
Similarly, mine was an OLlympus C-750. Similar to the 2100 I think. It took some very good pics, and had a great lens, but I found it very slow and fiddly to use. Manual focussing was a joke.

eragorn
December 22nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Similarly, mine was an OLlympus C-750. Similar to the 2100 I think. It took some very good pics, and had a great lens, but I found it very slow and fiddly to use. Manual focussing was a joke.

Ya, the C-2100 sonds like a twin. Nice pics but....Well now I'm on the DSLR learning curve and loving it.!

LifeIsAFractal
December 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Feel free to contact me further I'm a hardcore Linux/ubuntu nut as well as hardcore photo nut. I shoot on a Canon 30D. I would recommend a card reader, but f-spot will import from my 30D in only PTP mode (meaning when you plug the camera in it doesn't show up as removable drive). The 300D and 350D are also supported though PTP and I see no reason the 400D would work. As far as digital photograph on linux Gimp should become your best friend. I never tried photoshop so I can't compare the two but I can say that Gimp has never let me down. For photo organizing you can go with F-spot which is now by default in Ubuntu, however I like KDE's digikam much better. Although I don't use KDE I love digikam. Digikam in my opinion has a better organization system but overall it is comparable to F-spot. Where Digikam shines is its editor. It offers a host of editing options though numerous plugins. Although you can't do as much as with Gimp you can do alot of simpler stuff alot quicker then with Gimp. Hope this stuff helps, Ubuntu and Lunux are great platforms for photo editing.

rob.webinator
January 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Any recommended software for controlling the 400D over usb? E.g. capture, focus,...