PDA

View Full Version : Where'd you get your MP3s?

petersjm
October 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Hey guys. Just wondering. Where do you guys get your MP3s from? I can't (and don't want to, anyway) use iPod Music Library (or whatever it's called) and allofmp3.com isn't appropriate. I'm sure there are some other (cheap or free) sites out there but I can't find any good ones (with popular mainstream music). Does anyone know of any?

Rackerz
October 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Limewire is always good. Or are you looking for a specific website?

%hMa@?b<C
October 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
how is allofmp3.com not appropriate?
Amazon and Yahoo also have music stores (the yahoo one is also DRM free!)

petersjm
October 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Limewire is always good. Or are you looking for a specific website?

Thanks. Is Limewire one of those torrent things? I know absolutely nothing about them! :( I always thought you had to open ports and stuff to use torrent apps...?

petersjm
October 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
how is allofmp3.com not appropriate?
Amazon and Yahoo also have music stores (the yahoo one is also DRM free!)

Not appropriate simply because it doesn't like my credit card :( It just won't accept it. I'll check out the DRM-free Yahoo store. Thanks :)

public_void
October 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Download.com Music (http://music.download.com/2001-1_32-0.html?tag=navtab), mostly free, but probably no bands/groups/artists etc that you know. However you can pick up some very good orginal mp3s.

k0rd
October 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Nicotine is like a Linux version of Soulseek, or Gnutella.

Engnome
October 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks. Is Limewire one of those torrent things? I know absolutely nothing about them! :( I always thought you had to open ports and stuff to use torrent apps...?

Opening ports is good, it improves download speed but thats it. Not necessary if you only download small stuff like mp3s.

PatrickMay16
October 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Friends, gnutella, dmusic.com (has a lot of good free music). Usually I just come across stuff by chance.

eriqk
October 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I used to get them through SoulSeek, nowadays from websites that offer them (netlabels mostly, or the various .microsound.org project sites). For the rest it's .oggs from the CDs I own.
Hmm, I have a sizable vinyl collection too- maybe, I should install gwc again.

Groet, Erik