PDA

View Full Version : Gaming on linux, fact or fiction?

Ranime
April 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I've been hopping on various linux distro's for quite some time now... But I have to say that Ubuntu has impressed me massively! I'm allmost certain it's gonna stick on my machine.

Only too bad not all windows based games are natively playable on linux... Sure you can use WineX or something like that... But that's not what I mean.

What if it were possible to play you're favorite game native on linux, just like Quake, Unreal Tournament and Doom are?

Tell me what game you would like to see on the linux platform. Would you pay for it? And if yes, how much would you wanna pay for it? And if not, why not?

(Edited for typo's)

bored2k
April 16th, 2005, 08:35 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5153&highlight=uber+games

One way or another, this has been addressed.

kiddo
April 16th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hello there, I HAD to reply! :) that is because Doom3, Quake3, Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 HAVE LINUX VERSIONS. And I could run a few games with Cedega (that's the new name for WineX) without problems (fRO, Quake3 [for fun]), while others could not at all (Lineage2 due to a recent update).

And there is Enemy Territory (think a multiplayer only version of Return to the Castle: Wolfestein!) which is free-as-in-beer for Windows and Linux -- and it runs perfectly here :)

Ranime
April 16th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm Sorry, I meant to say that Quake and UT ARE natively playable!! I'll change the text in a minute.

Stormy Eyes
April 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Tell me what game you would like to see on the linux platform. Would you pay for it? And if yes, how much would you wanna pay for it? And if not, why not?

I'd pay $100 to play Final Fantasy XII on Linux.

jdodson
April 16th, 2005, 11:13 PM
gamin on gnu/linux has arrived. now tons of games that are native have not arrived though. there are differing camps that think this might or might not happen. however, the unreal series is a HUGE boon to the gnu/linux gaming machine, ID's support is awesome as well.

i think gaming will continue at the pace it has, with the gradual acceptance of gnu/linux as a game platform.

Maniak
April 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
With the number of big game makers doing native linux ports of their games, they are showing that it is able to be done. Being able to buy the windows version of the game and get the linux for free (50% cost maybe ;-)) is an excellent way of getting linux gaming up and proven.

There are also plenty of good linux only games out there as well. For the older/other windows games there is always Cedega or at last resort a dual-boot.....

bored2k
April 16th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'd pay $100 to play Final Fantasy XII on Linux.
I'd pay 150 for an MMO game based on HL2. Make that 300.. euros, not dollars euros.

Brunellus
April 17th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I'd pay fifty bucks for a native Linux version of Rome: Total War. Also Civ3 (but with all the addons).

kal_zakath
April 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM
I would even pay more for a linux native game than a windows native if only......

ATI PRODUCED DECENT DRIVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stormy Eyes
April 17th, 2005, 01:37 AM
I would even pay more for a linux native game than a windows native if only......

ATI PRODUCED DECENT DRIVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got burned, did you? Next time, buy better hardware. :)

kassetra
April 17th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I actually have one native linux game that cost exactly the same for the linux version as it did for the windows version... same with all of the plugins. It even works exactly the same (for when I need to tinker with chemistry and DNA...)

But I would pay quite a bit for the Myst games to work natively in Linux (Hell I'd pay a lot if they worked in freaking cedega)... Same with eq2.

nautilus
April 17th, 2005, 02:29 AM
i got burned on ATI too... went from a 9800Pro to an FX5700

saved me $200 or so, and i've been loving this card :)

i paid loads for NWN, Undrentide, then Hordes, each about $45 or so.

i play ET more though, and it's free.

what bugs me is, for instance, call of duty, it runs on the quake3 engine, but there's no linux client...? what's their excuse for that?

i'm going to start boycotting large game companies for pulling disrespectful stunts like that :(

Ironi
April 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I very much doubt that any company will want to sell Linux-only games after what happened with Loki Games (http://www.lokigames.com/). I did buy Loki's Civ:CTP port, but I much prefer spending my money on dual Linux/Windows games (e.g. Quake 3, UT, NWN, etc.). Sadly, even those are not appearing in abundance...

Ironi
April 17th, 2005, 07:36 AM
what bugs me is, for instance, call of duty, it runs on the quake3 engine, but there's no linux client...? what's their excuse for that?

ID is a Linux-friendly company, although I believe that certain employees have stated something to the effect that they only bother out of kindness or to prove how portable their engine is. Presumably, the same applies to e.g. Epic and BioWare. While the engine developers might develop and release Linux clients, the companies that license their engines generally don't bother (or their publishers don't allow them to).

ID and Epic are pretty good about releasing Linux clients for every game that they develop themselves. I wish that I could say the same about BioWare (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/)...

crane
April 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM
ummm, yes I would pay for a linux game client, I bought: quake3, doom3, UT2K3 and 2k4, RtCW, and Call of duty.
I know COD isn't native to linux but the loki installer worked great, now I play Cod and CoD| United Offensive!!

ET and Army Ops(americas army) are fun linux game as well!

Ranime
April 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
There are some great statements there!

I wish they'd bring out Final Fantasy VII for linux in some form. And RollerCoaster Tycoon and Need for Speed.

I played Quake 3 and UT for ages on linux, but I also burned my self with an ATI. :cry:

By the way: I would pay for the game. Or buy the windows version and download the linux binaries if it were possible, like Quake and UT.

Insane
April 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I would pay for any game that works on linux. I fact, i would pay for ANYTHING to work on Linux. I had to rebuild my commputer to work with Linux, and it took forever. The point is that people like EA and Ubisoft or whatever should think about the future. Sure, creating games for windows may be good short term, but let us see what happens to them in the long run. LINUX WILL RULE THE WORLD! *evil moment*

anyway, I would pay about R200 for a game to work with linux, depending on the game, of course.

Raven-sb
April 17th, 2005, 01:11 PM
"I very much doubt that any company will want to sell Linux-only games after what happened with Loki Games (http://www.lokigames.com/). "

Hmm careful with the statement about Loki. My understanding is that there was a lot of mismanagement issues that had as much to do with the company folding as the actual selling of games.

As for paying for games, I must answer yes I'd happily pay the same price for a native linux game that I would for windows. I am passonate about linux and believe in supporting it as OS. I've bourght native linux games in the past and will continue to do, even if it is cheaper to buy the same game under windows.

bigzak
April 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I already have Myth2, Heretic2, Quake3, UT and UT2K4 so... yes. And I paid full whack for UT2K4 too!

rpgcyco
April 17th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I wish Valve would port their games to Linux, preferably without the Steam system, or a better alternative. Actually, I think I remember reading that Valve were working on a Linux version of Half-Life 1 but Sierra the publisher stopped them. Any truth in this?

Anyway, I would definately pay the same amount of money for a native Linux game. :) Doom3 runs so much better on Linux compared to Windows, and it doesn't take 30 seconds for the desktop to reappear after exiting the game like it does in Windows.

- Rpg Cyco

skoal
April 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Medic! MeeEeeEdic! <- That's me on the Linux battlefield calling for some Infinity Ward triage. I guess Activision just publishes their game. If Id Software made this game, I'm sure we'd have a native port.

I wish those developers at Infinity Ward would outsource that port to some 3rd party guys who've done that for others. If you find out any information on this, please let me know. By far the greatest game I've ever played.

nautilus
April 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
It's kinda sad actually, I haven't played it in months because the only way to fire it up is in Wine.... Screw that. ;)

I refuse to use an emulator to play Win32 Romz on my computer, especially 3D ones. Anyway, as cool as the game may be, I'm not purchasing any Activision games from here on. (This was the first I've ever purchased, actually, from Activision.)

qalimas
April 17th, 2005, 10:11 PM
There is only one game I paid for for Linux, that was Neverwinter Nights, it's the last I'll buy as well. Linux is great for gaming, it has some awesoem native games, that are unfortunately overlooked. Things such as Enemy Territory, America's Army, Battle for Wesnoth, and Unreal Tournament. I only run Ubuntu, and it runs all the games I lvoe perfectly fine, and nativly might I add :) I'm completely satisfied with the free games, though I amy buy some if they are exceptionally good.

Amarack
April 18th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Paying for games that are ported to linux just makes sense to me.
Over the years, I have bought (because they have linux ports):
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Neverwinter Nights
Quake 3
Tribes 2
UT 2k3
Doom 3

And then because im a blizzard addict I was forced, FORCED IM TELLING YOU, to buy warcraft 3. I wish every time they release a game they will do so for linux too, but I know it will never happen.

Bug
April 18th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Now that I'm running CounterStrike I don't see much of a need to boot into Windows. This was really the only thing I NEEDED windows for.

It's fact, Linux runs games.

I have Cedega setup to run Steam, and CS runs fullscreen pretty well. Not perfectly, mic in doesn't work and the FPS is a bit low, but it runs. I don't see any lag problems or graphics issues. HL2 I'm still working on...

If you have a choice don't get an ATI card until the drivers are better, I'm still pissed about the amount of effort it took to get 3d acceleration turned on. From what I hear Nvidia is doing a great job, but I don't know this for a fact.

Adam

Brunellus
April 18th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Now that I'm running CounterStrike I don't see much of a need to boot into Windows. This was really the only thing I NEEDED windows for.

It's fact, Linux runs games.

Linux runs twitch games. Those of us who don't care for 'em have fewer choices. Freeciv is nice, but I'm waiting for something with the civ3 ruleset. Also, I'm waiting for Creative Assembly to port their Total War games to Linux.

Ranime
April 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm so happy :D

I just found out Duke Nukem 3D runs native on Linux :)

Still having some problems with the sound though, but I'll get that running soon too, I hope!

Since Duke Nukem 3D was a true MS DOS game, I couldn't get it running in Win2k... But in Ubuntu it works great! Except for the sound that is ofcourse...

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM
It does?!?! That's amazing!

Ranime
April 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah!

Check this (http://icculus.org/~ravage/) site for all linux ports so far...

And look here (http://icculus.org/~ravage/duke3d/) for Duke Nukem 3D on Linux!

Here (http://icculus.org/duke3d/) is to find out what does and doesn't work in the game!

http://icculus.org/~ravage/duke3d/duke3d_installer.jpg
Oh yeah... You do have to have the DOS version of the game (Duke Nukem 3D: The Atomic edition, a.k.a Duke Nukem 3D v1.4) to be able to install the game ;-)

TravisNewman
April 18th, 2005, 06:49 PM
That's fine, I do have that cd-- somewhere.

jdodson
April 18th, 2005, 07:12 PM
when i was gaming in windows i tried to purchase and play games that could run on windows and gnu/linux. the exception being blizzard titles(i own them all up to warcraft 3 the frozen throne). since blizzard games runs flawlessly in cedega, i can still play all the games i love.

i REALLY hope bioware make a gnu/linux port of dragon age (http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age/). i loved the neverwinter series and since dragon age will use(basically) the same aurora engine(albiet MUCH souped up) it looks like it will be really good. however, if there is no native port, i wont purchase the game. that is where i stand now, if there is no native port of a game to gnu/linux i wont buy it anymore. kinda my way of telling developers where my money will go.

Juzz
May 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Why is everyone so displeased with ATi?

They are a lot more open than NVidia - and I am sure if someone set out to do a serious project for doing drivers they would get a lot of support from ATi and absolutely nothing from NVidia... As is the case with drivers for AmigaOS 4.

The AmigaOS 4 team got lots of support from ATi but trying to get anything out of NVidia was like talking to a brick wall...

Ranime
August 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Well, I also had some problems with my ati. But for now it's doing what it's supposed to do. I get descent framerates with my R9600/256MB. Q3 runs @112fps in 1024*768 full detail... I know, it's old, but playable. :)

I haven't had time (or ca$h) yet to play Doom3... wonder how that will run... [-o<

TristanMike
August 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm still very new to Linux/Ubuntu but it seems to me that the majority of the native linux games are First Person Shooters. Is there a reason or is it just coincidence?