PDA

View Full Version : Why not build a CD-shipping center in Asia?

robotzu
October 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I'm living in China. It takes almost 1 month to receive Ubuntu CD from Europe and I think the shipping costs so much...In China, normal shipping service costs only about CNY 5.00 (USD 0.625). So why not build a CD-shipping center in Asia?

Forgive my poor English.

jd65pl
October 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Well from my experience one month is fairly quick! I live in the UK and have waited at least 6wks for every package of CD's I have got.

In terms of building a distribution centre in Asia just think of the initial cost of that! I'm not sure that it is financially viable to build them everywhere when modern transport links as as good as they are.

robotzu
October 12th, 2006, 10:36 AM
If Ubuntu build a distribution in Asia.(I wish it was in China). It will take less time to receive the CD. I don't want to wait for a month....

xyz
October 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
If Ubuntu build a distribution in Asia.(I wish it was in China). It will take less time to receive the CD. I don't want to wait for a month....

I live where CDs are shipped from and Dapper took 1 month to get to me!!
I mean, is one month THAT long to wait? Depending on your internet connection, why don't you download it?

Sorry if I didn't understand you correctly, but this sounds like you want your cake and eat it, too!

Rackerz
October 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Nobody does, I live in the UK and waited longer than a month. Consider yourself lucky it got to you that quickly.

jd65pl
October 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
If you want to get the CD quicker you could always download it from the website (http://www.ubuntu.com/download) or as a torrent. (http://www.bittorrent.com/search_result.html?search=ubuntu)

slimdog360
October 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
considering its free I think everyone gets a pretty good deal.

PriceChild
October 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Shipit has constant backlogs.

As far as i understand... Canocial pay for a certain amount of packages for company use, and any that are unused by the end of the time period get used to send out Shipits.

Its free for us... be patient :)

From shipit:

We can send you CDs free of charge, but it will take from six to ten weeks to deliver, so you may prefer to download the CD images (http://www.ubuntu.com/download) and record them yourself.

taurus
October 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
If you can't wait for a month to receive the free CD or don't have a fast network connection, then purchase it from one of those linux stores for a minimal fee!!! And if you want something free, then you can't complain about a month waiting period...

The_Apprentice
October 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
If you can't wait for a month to receive the free CD or don't have a fast network connection, then purchase it from one of those linux stores for a minimal fee!!! And if you want something free, then you can't complain about a month waiting period...

Here in the UK it has been "given away" on two magazines (Linux User and Personal Computer World), plus one of the stores (WHSmith) sold an Ubuntu special magazine for around £6.50, all in the last 2-3 months.

The other solution could be to request a copy on here and I am sure a community user in your country could send you a copy.