PDA

View Full Version : Should I use uBuntu - if not then what?

kilps
April 16th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hi - I am interested in starting to use linux and am not certain what to use - should I use uBunut or something else? I like what uBuntu looks like but someone told me that it is easier to learn something on another linux before learning something else on uBuntu (something to do with KDE and Gnome - no idea what that is though! :-# )

Could some of the forum member gove me any ideas? Thanks

Sorry if this post isn't relevant/allowed - I am not too sure where else to go!

Thanks - kilps

Buffalo Soldier
April 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
If you have a broadband connection and ample free time, I think the best way is to just try any distribution that you like. Giving it a fair shot for at least 1-2 weeks before trying another distribution.

The key is not to give up. Which is easier said that done, I know :p

Each distribution has its own weaknesses, strenghts, quirks and personalities. I would suggest you choose the one that has the least problem detecting your hardware and "personality" that you like.

soul_rebel
April 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
It's Ubuntu not uBuntu.

I think that the best approach to linux is to read and read and read, than to choose a simple distro, using the information gathered.
Ubuntu is quite simple but it's not meant to be easy for newbies, but to be a good os. It's a possibility.
There should be a linux user group in your city and maybe some installation parties too, in this way you'll have a linux installed with the supervision of an expert.
You can download and try ALL major distros in a couple of week, this would be good for you.
bye

bigzak
April 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I like what uBuntu looks like but someone told me that it is easier to learn something on another linux before learning something else on uBuntu (something to do with KDE and Gnome - no idea what that is though! :-# )

Could some of the forum member gove me any ideas? Thanks

They were probably just recommending that you try both KDE and Gnome before settling on one. Fortunately, these are just different ways of accessing the same underlying operating system. Many people find Gnome to be easier, which is why Ubuntu defaults to it, but if you have a couple of hours to spare you could install one after the other and try them both out?

Incidentally, I know that it was a typo, but I think Ubunut is the best word I've ever heard to describe Ubuntu lovers! So, from one Ubunut to another potential Ubunut, I'd say give 'em both a try but you won't be disappointed which ever one you choose.

kilps
April 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM
It's Ubuntu not uBuntu.

I think that the best approach to linux is to read and read and read, than to choose a simple distro, using the information gathered.
Ubuntu is quite simple but it's not meant to be easy for newbies, but to be a good os. It's a possibility.
There should be a linux user group in your city and maybe some installation parties too, in this way you'll have a linux installed with the supervision of an expert.
You can download and try ALL major distros in a couple of week, this would be good for you.
bye
He he - about downloading - well thats a problem - in South Africa broadband is exensive and generally capped at 3GB - so i am still on dailup. - but i know i can get hold of the cds i want - i also know of some companies which sell disks - so thats not the problem.

Ubuntu (spelling - my mistake) looks great from what I have seen - does anyone know about the KDE/Gnome story - thats what has me lost.

And with installing that shouldn't be difficult - the people who service my laptop have told me that they have Partition Magic - so i can use that if nessisary.(i want to keep windows running for some apps I have)

The main reason I havn't just gone out and installed everything I see is because of the hassell of getting hold of disks. Out of interest what other distrabutions should I try - I am completely new to this!

kilps
April 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM
So are you saying that they are both in Ubuntu?

jerome bettis
April 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
seriously, ubuntu is your best bet if you're new to linux.

escuchamezz
April 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
actually bending over is his best bet if he's new to linux.

wfx
April 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM
It is not easy to configure a linux based operationg system.
The freedom of a GNU /OS have also a hard side (examples):
You want setup a printer, then learn how to configure a printserver.
You want to conect to the internet then learn how networking is working.
Ok, it is a bit over the top and on reason for Ubuntu is that it does a lot of this job
automatic and i thing it does it very good.

Maybe a good idea is to read the forums of different GNU/OS and look what problem the user have, how friendly the users are and all the other thing that you want to know of a GNU/OS of youre choice

benplaut
April 16th, 2005, 07:42 PM
seriously, ubuntu is your best bet if you're new to linux.

of course every "ubunut" (yeah, good name :razz:) would say that, but the truth is, it is not always the best. For the Windows refugee who is used to tweaking and customizing their system, kubuntu is probably a good choice (but still ubuntu). However, for the user who wants a GUI-life, SuSE or mandrake/mandriva is probably a better choice. As much as Ubunuts might prefer otherwise, Ubuntu/Kubuntu is not for everyone :???:

kilps
April 16th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice - I think I will try Ubuntu - see what happens - if it isn't that great I will try something else - from what I have seen here is that it is the best thing to do :)

Antman
April 16th, 2005, 08:59 PM
However, for the user who wants a GUI-life, SuSE or mandrake/mandriva is probably a better choice.

For the GUI person coming from Windows, I would have to vote for Xandros 3 Deluxe or Linspire 5.
I give Xandros the slight edge for Windows compatibility thanks to tight Crossover office integration which allows one to run Quicken, Photoshop, etc. And their file manager is top-notch and very easy to use.

I had Xandros 3 on my laptop before I had Ubuntu on it and a friend came over to share some music files via his external usb drives.
I turned on my Xandros 3 laptop and he went, "what the heck is that?"
I said linux, and he said it looked like Windows. I created a quick shared folder on my box and told him to drop his files into it. He was like, "WOW... I didn't know linux was THAT easy." "Yeah... and I don't have to worry about viruses or spyware either." LOL. He was really impressed. Then I plugged his USB external HD's into my Xandros box and they came right up. Copied the music files and proceeded to play them.

Ant

arctic
April 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM
mandriva/mandrake, suse, xandros, linspire are very good for newcomers to linux. way better than ubuntu, for which you do actually need some knowledge about linux-systems, otherwise you will run into problems with the installer.

another alternative is to try live-cds that can be installed to your harddrive later. knoppix, mepis or kanotix are excellent choices here. and if you want somthing that is similar to ubuntu (actually derived from ubuntu/debian), but more stripped down with only minimal apps for everyday work (primarily office, web, mail and instant messaging), then you might be interested in beatrIX, a less than 200 mb live-cd with install option. damn fast and you don't need to do anything to get it running. ;)

now... about gnome and kde... in windows, you have one desktop with your icons placed on top (my documents, iexplorer,..). in linux, there are a lot of different desktops you can choose. each has its own strenghts and weaknesses. kde is a bit similar to windows xp (and can be tweaked to look exactly like it), gnome is more mac-like in its behavior (and can look almost like a mac). these two desktops are easy to use for newcomers to linux but they love ram. if you are low on ram, (~64mb) there is still the option to run less ram-consuming desktops. these do not offer all the "comfortable stuff" kde and gnome offer, but they are still powerful, customizable and capable. and they are faster. fluxbox, icewm and xfce are the more common "lighter" desktop options. you can visit their own homepages and take a look at them (same for gnome and kde).

somuchfortheafter
April 17th, 2005, 01:53 AM
go gentoo, dive head first, get confused as hell, wake up with a caffiene stain.

wait for your head to stop spinning

dl ubuntu
burn ubuntu
install ubuntu
love ubuntu