PDA

View Full Version : Why I wont use Kubuntu (And How Easy It Is to Fix)

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Well let me intrigue you all to continue reading by saying that this is probably the most idiotic, pointless, and weird complaint about an operating system that you are ever likely to see. It has nothing to do with its technical specs, its politics, or its developers.

So what else is there left to complain about? THIS!!:
(Image is temporarily hosted so if this thread lasts very long, which i doubt, it may not show. Its just the kubuntu logo)
http://images.cjb.net/e58e3.jpg

It infuriates me to no end! Those little stupid gears! You don't make the detailed part of the logo as the small part, it offsets everything... it looks like someone ate three KDE logos and the ubuntu logo then puked it out on my screen. I actually am not using Kubuntu (despite the fact that i love the KDE more than Gnome) simply because of my hatred for this logo (which is constantly shoved in my face when i try use Kubuntu)!

Now I assume that you origionally tried for a logo like what I just attempted, which was to make the gear the centerpiece and then put the regular dots around it, and yes, breaking the circle into three pieces on a gear is almost impossible... but so what? You don't even use the same number of spokes(if thats the correct term) as the KDE logo anyway. Change it up, leave a few blank spokes something...

Now, I am just one crazy person who you would make very happy if you tweaked your ugly logo, but I may have caught something.

Anyone agree with me or think I'm being totally unreasonable? I mean, if you honestly think the logo does nothing to the product then why not just change it to make one weird person happy and everyone else should go “meh”? and if you think it does something for the project well then once again: Kubuntu is suffering compared to Ubuntu despite the fact that it uses KDE (which is arguably the more familiar of the two to windows users) versus the less familiar Gnome, and blue (one of the worlds most common favorite colors) versus the overkill of my favorite color orange found on Ubuntu (which is irritating because you have to change like 8 individual settings to get away from the orangeness!!!!). So why is KDE getting so much less love on Ubuntu than everywhere else? Personally I've met loooooooads of people who let little things like that get under there skins, some of them admit it, some of them wont even notice it.

Anyway, I now cast ao rant

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR LOGO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BEFORE I DRIVE MYSELF CRAZY! MY FAVORITE LINUX DISTRO IS KEEPING ME AWAY FROM MY LOVE! ](*,)

maniacmusician
October 11th, 2006, 03:45 AM
lol, well all i can say is that if it really bothers you that much, then you ought to create a new one and submit it as part of artwork for edgy +1. The artwork team is all volunteers, I think, and you could probably join if you felt like it. it doesnt personally bother me that much. it looks kinda weird, yeah, but i've never thought about it before.

There's lots of reasons why Kubuntu is not as highly touted as Ubuntu, but i'd rather not go into that here, or the discussion will spout into something else entirely. I personally use Kubuntu.

IYY
October 11th, 2006, 03:52 AM
I hate Konqui more than the gears.

maniacmusician
October 11th, 2006, 03:53 AM
[faints] i love it :( ah well. why do you hate it exactly?

[cringes] trying not to divert the thread too much

henriquemaia
October 11th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I hate Konqui more than the gears.

Konqui and the gears are almost a perfect match - they're both ugly (to my taste!)

d3v1ant_0n3
October 11th, 2006, 03:58 AM
You can rant and rave and get frustrated....orrrr....you can change the icon on the K menu.

The usplash doesn't use the gears (in edgy at least), neither does the default splash or login. The only thing that does (afaik) is the K menu button. SO change the icon. Or put KBFX on. Or Kickoff. Or something.

And breathe.

kerry_s
October 11th, 2006, 04:01 AM
You do realize you don't need to install kubuntu just to get kde. You can just install the kde stuff. I'm using kde-core and don't have branding.

fuscia
October 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM
i was going to say this was 'retarded', but it sounds a lot like a reason i wouldn't use something (in fact, i think i hated gnome for a while just because of that stupid foot).

prizrak
October 11th, 2006, 04:08 AM
ou don't even use the same number of spokes(if thats the correct term) as the KDE logo anyway.
The correct term is teeth, I believe.

ComplexNumber
October 11th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I actually am not using Kubuntu (despite the fact that i love the KDE more than Gnome) simply because of my hatred for this logo (which is constantly shoved in my face when i try use Kubuntu)!
do your reasons for liking/preferring kde have similar 'logic'?

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 04:37 AM
do your reasons for liking/preferring kde have similar 'logic'?

I like KDE because I like alot of KDE applications, I like switching up what I use on occasion and because I think KDE is the closest Ubuntu has to something I can give to my less than talented friends to get them to try Linux I like it.

Now I admitted not being logical, insulting me for a point I myself made makes WHHHHHHHO look stupid? :-k

Hmarroqu
October 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I agree, the logo wierds me out, kind of like...misplaced gears...:neutral:

ComplexNumber
October 11th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I like KDE because I like alot of KDE applications, I like switching up what I use on occasion and because I think KDE is the closest Ubuntu has to something I can give to my less than talented friends to get them to try Linux I like it.

Now I admitted not being logical, insulting me for a point I myself made makes WHHHHHHHO look stupid? :-k
its just a logo. not using it because of the logo is really anal....to say the least.

chaosgeisterchen
October 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM
The logo is really annoying. But I do like Konqui :)

garba
October 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
ahaha looks like that logo affected you personally :mrgreen:

pelle.k
October 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I _hate_ the fact that the applet launchers in gnome-panel have no "padding", so when an icon is full width/height besides a smaller icon, it looks ****** to say the least... (both kicker and xfce panel provides some padding - this makes diffrences between launcher icons not _that_ obvious)
I still use gnome (occasionally) though...
I can however understand your wierd complaint.

prizrak
October 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I think his complaint is valid. Just think about that.
If you look at something everyday it better be easy on the eyes. It's like dating someone with a great personality but horrible appearance. Sure they are great to be around but you don't wanna be looking at them.

punkinside
October 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
hunt down every ocurrence of the logo and be done with it. I too hated the little foot in gnome and until it was the default every time I installed or reinstalled ubuntu the first thing I did was get rid of the thingy. Its pretty straightforward, im sure its also easy in KDE.

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Well instead of just being a complainer I did something about it ^_^

I designed a few alternative logos. Working from scratch usually ended me up with some ugggggggly results but now I think I have one that is generally agreeable. Everytime I show it side by side with the current Kubuntu logo even to non-linux users they say the Kubuntu logo is awkward and ugly and that mine is cooler. If there's anything drastically stupid about it please tell me because I've never used Inkscape before. I downloaded, learned, and used it all for the first time last night. Anyway, I will be posting it as soon as I can figure out a way to get it off my laptop and onto the schools computers without connecting myself to the network, I would like opinions because I do plan on submitting this as an alternative for the current logo.

hunt down every ocurrence of the logo and be done with it. I too hated the little foot in gnome and until it was the default every time I installed or reinstalled ubuntu the first thing I did was get rid of the thingy. Its pretty straightforward, im sure its also easy in KDE.
I would love to, but my quest is to get alot of people using and loving Kubuntu. People want to feel in control of there computers, if everytime they have a problem my friends need to call me then they have a big problem. They are more likely to revert to windows users.

I prefer Kubuntu because the truth is (and yes arguments will ensue for me making this comment) windows users are more comfortable with it in alot of cases. Especially when you can open the file manager as superuser without having to use the console. Theres nothing I hate more than remembering how to spell "sudo nautilus" everytime I format my computer and need to tweak a few key files. (A button to do this in Gnome shud be added to Edgy or Edgy+1)

prizrak
October 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I will be posting it as soon as I can figure out a way to get it off my laptop and onto the schools computers without connecting myself to the network, I would like opinions because I do plan on submitting this as an alternative for the current logo.

E-mail it to yourself to an account that can be accessed via a web interface, or use a flash drive if you have one, if you don't have one either borrow one or get a cheap one. I think you can get a 256 for like $10 at rite aid nowadays.

Theres nothing I hate more than remembering how to spell "sudo nautilus" everytime I format my computer and need to tweak a few key files. (A button to do this in Gnome shud be added to Edgy or Edgy+1)

Actually it's "gksudo nautilus", there is a script for nautilus that allows to open any file/folder as root it's available throught Automatix or you can do it manually. You are right, there should be a default launcher for something like that, it's useful to have once in a while.

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Well sudo works fine for me. And I couldn't e-mail it to myself because I had no internet at all. Anyway, now I am on the network against the rules. Oops. Please refire my image.

One is the vector image for anyone who wants to tweak it or resize it. The other is a png for those who can't view the vector image and just wanna look.

Hope you enjoy it! Reviews please!
I think its simple and nice, I wasan't going for extravogant.

EdThaSlayer
October 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
...so you wont use a whole distribution because it has a weird logo?
WeIrD!?!
At least you are doing something about it and not just complaining! :-D

i do prefer GNOME though, doesnt hog as much memory and such and has a much cleaner interface!

pelle.k
October 11th, 2006, 06:41 PM
It's like dating someone with a great personality but horrible appearance. Sure they are great to be around but you don't wanna be looking at them.
Haha! Thats the best thing i heard in ages. LOL. Reality bites...

Naralas: Great work man! I must say i didn't think you would just pop something up like that... I must say i like this logo more than the default kubuntu gears :D (Even if i didn't really have a problrm with the old one ;) )

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Naralas: Great work man! I must say i didn't think you would just pop something up like that... I must say i like this logo more than the default kubuntu gears :D (Even if i didn't really have a problrm with the old one ;) )

Thank you for the positive reflection. :) I hope if more people agree with you they will voice it. I asked about 7 people today at school and without fail all of them prefered my logo and used words like "weird" "ugly" and "awkward" to describe the current one. (I didn't tell them which was which)

Linux&Lizards
October 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM
dude i like your new logo better:D
i kinda like the gears though........
oh heck i dont know!](*,)

Linux&Lizards
October 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
why not say that the old one is just so not cool?
even so i like yours better.

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Fans!

And suggestions for changes?

awakatanka
October 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I think youre logo is ugly. The kubuntu one looks much better.

Not using KDE because of the logo you can easly change is plain stupid.
Using Gnome where you hate the colors and cost more time to change is also stupid.

ComplexNumber
October 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Naralas
to tell you the truth, i think your logo is much better than the original. yours is more simple in design and conveyes the same message, but with less detail. thats always a good sign.
the original kubuntu logo is rather silly.
however, i still think fussing over a logo is a bit extreme.

chaosgeisterchen
October 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Your logo is very plain, you could give it some shadow and change some details, but the main idea is very good - away from mechanics straight to creativity would be the message for me.

Virak
October 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I like it, though I don't like the border, and I think it needs the balls (all the Ubuntu-based distro logos seem to have it in some form); perhaps like so.

kerry_s
October 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
How about thinking outside the circle and go with the standard logo. :-k

iovar
October 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
How about something slick/3d-ish?

Naralas
October 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I like it, though I don't like the border, and I think it needs the balls (all the Ubuntu-based distro logos seem to have it in some form); perhaps like so.

I have almost an identical version of that image on my computer. I actually think the balls compromise the gear look... but I guess its up to the viewers :-p

Oh and iovar . I am not sure I like your logo. Firstly it cant be shrunk at all without losing color drastically, it would look awful in the startup screen because of its color limit, and its not even the right shades of blue. When you do 3D you need to remember you can set it to any color you like but it wont exactly output the same color because of lighting. Find some way to make it mostly one color and shrinkable and you might have something. But throwing text onto a logo is also risky... I would just ditch that totally.

iovar
October 11th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Well, what can I say... I like shiny things :)
How about these for non-shinny?

EDIT: I don't like the default either.
The gears look like...little blue flowers!

Virak
October 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well, what can I say... I like shiny things :)
How about these for non-shinny?

EDIT: I don't like the default either.
The gears look like...little blue flowers!

That one looks really good. I made an SVG-ized version of it, as bitmap images tend not to scale well.

Naralas
October 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Its funny nobody "posts" that they like the current logo, they just vote it. I am assuming all the poeple who supposedly "don't care" are voting to keep it just to be irritating? Or the people who want to keep it just refuse to post because they are voting on a whim without even reading the topic?

Either way I regret adding the poll it makes it look like the support is on the wrong side of the spectrum now. It seems anyone with anything to offer or any points to make will be voted down by mindless voters. Hehehe, kinda like when someone runs against George Bush in the Divided States Of Embarassment.

Also if your going to base your drawing off

a) My edited gear
b) The idea that the gear should be the centerpiece in place of the circle

Please vote "I like Naralas's idea but..." (or whatever thingy was to that effect) because right now it seems the only people voting are the people whi disagree with changing the logo. I want both sides shown in this poll so we can better make our point when its all said and done.

maniacmusician
October 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Naralas, I do like yours a lot better than the original. However, if you look at edgy, the theme has been to really gloss up all the logos, true to kde style, and I believe that trend will stay consistent. So you should probably make a glossy, 3d version as well, but keep the current one too of course.

reyfer
December 21st, 2006, 12:49 AM
Its funny nobody "posts" that they like the current logo, they just vote it. I am assuming all the poeple who supposedly "don't care" are voting to keep it just to be irritating? Or the people who want to keep it just refuse to post because they are voting on a whim without even reading the topic?

Either way I regret adding the poll it makes it look like the support is on the wrong side of the spectrum now. It seems anyone with anything to offer or any points to make will be voted down by mindless voters. Hehehe, kinda like when someone runs against George Bush in the Divided States Of Embarassment.

So in your Almighty Wisdom, if I like the original logo, and I vote in your poll for that option, I'm doing it to "irritate" you? Or that I am a "mindless voter"? Is it allowed to DISAGREE with your idiotic opinion here? Yes, I said it, it is IDIOTIC to ditch a whole distro just because the logo, something YOU can CHANGE, is ugly (in your view).

maniacmusician
December 21st, 2006, 01:44 AM
So in your Almighty Wisdom, if I like the original logo, and I vote in your poll for that option, I'm doing it to "irritate" you? Or that I am a "mindless voter"? Is it allowed to DISAGREE with your idiotic opinion here? Yes, I said it, it is IDIOTIC to ditch a whole distro just because the logo, something YOU can CHANGE, is ugly (in your view).
Why would you revive a thread from 2 months ago just to say that? ](*,) Grow up, kids, go find a useful thread to post in.

seijuro
December 21st, 2006, 03:49 AM
I could really care less about the current Kubuntu logo so I can't really say that I would or wouldn't want it changed but if it bothers you so much I'm glad to see that you are trying to do something about it. If it did bother me excessively I would probably just make my own artwork to throw in and make it available to anyone else who shares the same opinion. However I would not see it as an excuse not to use an entire distro over a single image.

guitarmaniac
December 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Why not just use SimplyMEPIS then? It's being built on ubuntu and is KDE based? Maybe it's more to your liking?