PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie...

Betelgeuse
October 11th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Hi !

I'm a newbie for linux, and I'm still do not use Ubuntu but I've started downloading it and I'll try to use Linux for all my computer needs. I've chosen Ubuntu distro becouse it's not just an OS I'm looking for, the nice community and the philisophy around ubuntu attracted me...

I'm a software developer for 20 years and currently I'm using windows 2000 and MS tools, mainly mssql and asp. I do not want to use those platform becouse of I do not like that .NET nonsense and I get angry about the idea of DRM. So, I've decided that I should convert to free software side.

I hope I'll be a fellow member of this good ubuntu community.

PS: Sorry for my language errors, english is not my native language, do not flame me for this, but you may correct my errosr so I can express what I think better...

henriquemaia
October 11th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Welcome aboard this nice and friendly community. I wish you lot of success in your Ubuntu journey.

etc
October 11th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Good luck

Hmarroqu
October 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM
welcome, ubuntu is pretty sweet, so i hope u enjoy it as much as i do...maybe even more!:D

matthew
October 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Welcome. Glad to have you around.

I'm going to move this thread to the cafe where more people will see it.

Tamil
October 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu forums.

John.Michael.Kane
October 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome. hope you enjoy your time here.

.t.
October 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm glad there's a new user who understands the evil of DRM (and hopefully also closed source software!). Welcome home!

chaosgeisterchen
October 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I hope you will soon find an appropiate language you wanna learn in addition to those you already use.

There are several threads covering this topic, but I am convinced you will find out by yourself.

Ptero-4
October 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Welcome aboard mate.

djsroknrol
October 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu...count on this great bunch of people to help you with the rough spots...

Betelgeuse
October 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Thank you all for the warm wellcome... :)

Now I'm setting up Kubuntu on my laptop computer. it's now downloading updates and I'm writing this message from my another computer. it's still windows 2000 for now but after I figure out how to setup vmware server on linux, I'll setup ubuntu on this computer too... My job is develeoping database applications and I'm using MS-SQL and ASP most of the time, so I need to run an ms sql server and microsoft IIS. My server machine is a virtual machine in vmware so it'll not be too hard for me to switch to linux. All I have to do is setup vmware server on linux and copy my windows virtual machine files and contunie working... Now I need a good text editor working on KDE to write ASP code. Can you give me an advice? I do not want a complicated programming platform, all I need is a notepad like editor with syntax coloring. (a programming editor which shows asp program codes in different colors)

Now it's time for another coffee...

punkinside
October 12th, 2006, 05:11 AM
kate should do the trick... I wouldnt know cause I'm a gnome guy but hey... welcome aboard!!

PapaWiskas
October 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Welcome aboard and above all, if something goes wrong, dont give up. There are plenty of polite, knowledgeable, technically adept, awesome people here to help you during any rough spots.

I know I have had a few issues, but I am proud to say, that with the help of the great people here in this community, I have been Micro$oft free since December of 05. Almost a year, I cant believe it.....time flies....