PDA

View Full Version : Minimal media requirments of an OS

DjDarkman
October 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ubuntu is the best linux distribution from my point of view if you have internet connection ,but what about poeple who are new to linux and don`t have internet?
Those people don`t chose ubuntu ,they chose something else.Why do I think this?
Because most people want their OS to play mp3`s and to play all sorts of movies ,mostly in Xvid format.
You need to have expiriance with ubuntu to be able to make it play mp3`s and all sorts of movies ,I mean you need to download the right packagees and some dependencies too ,this is what no newbie is capable of...
I think there should be an ubuntu restricted edition wich whould contain those packagees ,because most people install those packagees after setup anyway.

Kateikyoushi
October 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I doubt most people want to watch xvid, etc and those codec packages can't be part of ubuntu by default.
They can use automatix, easyubuntu to install them conviniently.
If they don't have internet where do they get those xvids ?
I used to watch videos online but I did not come across xvid films anywhere offline.

skymt
October 10th, 2006, 08:55 PM
The developers are working on a way to make codec installation easier. Be patient, it will probably hit in Edgy+1. I really don't think we need another edition.

DjDarkman
October 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I doubt most people want to watch xvid, etc and those codec packages can't be part of ubuntu by default.
They can use automatix, easyubuntu to install them conviniently.
If they don't have internet where do they get those xvids ?
I used to watch videos online but I did not come across xvid films anywhere offline.

In my country xvids and dvdrips are very popular.And you can get them from people who donwload them.

AndyCooll
October 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
While it would indeed be great for Ubuntu to have such codecs installed by default, as has been repeated on these forums many many many times it isn't legally possible and it simply won't happen (see my signature on restricted formats). The mp3 format (for instance) is patented, it ain't a "free" codec and free distros cannot distribute it.

For those who don't have an internet connection and want a working "out-of-the-box" version of Linux there are alternative distros such as Linspire and Xandros.

:cool:

Kateikyoushi
October 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
In my country xvids and dvdrips are very popular.And you can get them from people who donwload them.

I wonder how legal that might be.

Mimsy
October 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Laws are different in different countries. For example, if a friend of mine was to move from his home country to the US, his entire music collection would probably become illegal. Where he lives right now, however, it is a perfectly legal collection.

It's all about which government you want to pay attention to; the one in the country the music came from, or the one in the country where you live.

/Mimsy

maniacmusician
October 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
While it would indeed be great for Ubuntu to have such codecs installed by default, as has been repeated on these forums many many many times it isn't legally possible and it simply won't happen (see my signature on restricted formats). The mp3 format (for instance) is patented, it ain't a "free" codec and free distros cannot distribute it.

For those who don't have an internet connection and want a working "out-of-the-box" version of Linux there are alternative distros such as Linspire and Xandros.

:cool:
i don't think it's the legality that's the issue...isn't it the actual principles of ubuntu? and its decision to not allow non-free software?

skymt
October 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
i don't think it's the legality that's the issue...isn't it the actual principles of ubuntu? and its decision to not allow non-free software?

Ubuntu allows non-free software in main when necessary. linux-restricted-modules, for example. If they are willing to include non-free drivers in main, they would also allow non-free codecs. Legality is the only issue.