PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl+H in WinXP

locutusoftrek
October 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hi,
i'm using windows xp on my "first" pc and ubuntu on my old second pc that i use for download and other stuff like that.
I've come gradually to like ubuntu: is very costumizabile, flexible, light ... much much better than windows.
I can say that ubuntu is made ofr the user.
I found an interesting command in gnome (Ctrl+H) to see the hidden files and folder.
It's very usefull. Do you know a command like that in windows xp home?

Thanks in advantage

meng
October 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
(it's "advance" not "advantage")
I don't know of such a Windows shortcut, obviously the long way to do it is (in a file browser) Tools > Folder Options > View. Of course, just because I don't know of such a shortcut doesn't mean there isn't one (but I googled and couldn't find it).

locutusoftrek
October 10th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the grammatical refernce, i'm from Italy and my english isn't very good at all.

It's strange that Microsoft didn't think about a stupid thing like this...

Rhubarb
October 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Yes I guess it is a little strange that m$ didn't think of a nice handy shortcut to show / hide hidden files.
I think it has something to do with your typical windows user.
- Such a user would not show hidden files, or would not know what a hidden file was.

There might be a freeware program on the 'net that will do it for you, but such a program probably comes with nasty malware.

I didn't know about the Ctrl + h thing you can do in Nautilus - Thanks!

DarkN00b
October 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
If you think Ctrl-H is cool, take a look at Applications->System->Preferences->Screen Actions. There's some cool toys in there. I've been using Dapper since early August and just found that one. :???:

3rdalbum
October 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
If you think Ctrl-H is cool, take a look at Applications->System->Preferences->Screen Actions. There's some cool toys in there. I've been using Dapper since early August and just found that one. :???:

I'm not sure what you're referencing here... I don't have a Screen Actions program on my System > Preferences menu, nor in Applications > System Tools. Is it an external package, and what does it do?

DarkN00b
October 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
It came with my install of Dapper, so it should be there if you are using Gnome, I'm not sure about KDE. Here's a screenshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/DarkN00b/Caps/Screenshot-ScreenActions.png

Under "Configurable actions" each one of those bars is a pop-up menu with the following options:

Mute volume
Prevent screensaver starting
Start screensaver
Enter DPMS standby mode
Enter DPMS suspend mode
Toggle showing desktop
Custom action"

If you have it on your machine you can get to it by typing

brightside-properties into a terminal window.

skymt
October 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
That program is called Brightside, and it doesn't come with Ubuntu. Install it by running "sudo aptitude install brightside".

DarkN00b
October 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
That's odd. I don't remember istalling it. Maybe Automatix did it? Oh well, sorry I confused you.

randomnumber
October 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM
try holding ctrl and rolling the mouse wheel.
or ctrl + or -
it make the items bigger and smaller. nice and handy