PDA

View Full Version : Memory Test

plb
October 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Only takes a few minutes, try it out....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/tmt/

I got 95% on recognition and 82% on temporal

henriquemaia
October 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Nice test. I enjoyed it a lot. My results were:

Recognition: 95%
Temporal: 78%

robcarr2
October 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Recognition: 83%
Temporal: 55%

ComplexNumber
October 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM
i got exactly the same as robcarr2. i always was crap at recognising faces. 2 months ago, i even walked straight past my own mum down the street. it can be embarrassing and annoying sometimes, because people in the past have got the (wrong) impression that i'm ignoring them when i'm not.

plb
October 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
i got exactly the same as robcarr2.

Both of you are from the UK as well :-D

punkinside
October 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I got 91 % recognition, 81 % temporal.

And I always thought I wasnt good with faces :)

argie
October 10th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Recognition: 87%
Temporal: 71%
False positives: 0

Somehow I would get different results if I counted all the times I couldn't find my contact lenses or my notebooks.

plb
October 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
i got exactly the same as robcarr2. i always was crap at recognising faces. 2 months ago, i even walked straight past my own mum down the street. it can be embarrassing and annoying sometimes, because people in the past have got the (wrong) impression that i'm ignoring them when i'm not.

lol, you mean you looked at her face and didn't recognize her?

ComplexNumber
October 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM
lol, you mean you looked at her face and didn't recognize her?
yeah, from a distance. if i see someone in a place that i'm used to recognising them, its fine. if i see someone in a place thats different to where i usually see them, thats when i have difficulty.

Havoc
October 10th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Recognition: 100%
Temporeral: 100%

That was easy. I WANT MORE!

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1673/screenshotkn8.th.png (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotkn8.png)

Rhubarb
October 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Feeling sleepy now, did the test:
Recognition score: 100%
Temporal memory score: 66%

I've always had an excellent memory, and I think 66% for a sleepy person like myself is quite good.

Thanks for posting the link, 'tis quite an interesting test.
Thanks.

Havoc
October 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry, double post.

Havoc
October 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Sleep scientists say that:

recognition memory for faces is unaffected by sleep loss. A person who has not slept for as much as 35 hours can perform as well as someone who is not sleep deprived.
the area of the brain that controls temporal memory can be affected by prolonged sleep loss and/or ageing. So a healthy 65 year old who sleeps normally would be able to perform this test similarly to a 20 year old who has gone without sleep for 36 hours.

That said, I think that sleep scientists are named that way because they do nothing else than sleep. I mean, they're obviously wrong, here.

Rhubarb
October 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Coolness, so I can use the "I'm sleepy" excuse for the lousy 66% score I got. Hehehe, then maybe my memory is as good as yours is Havoc.

Miguel
October 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I got 100% for recognition and 92% for temporal memory. I also had 2 false positives. But these scores are flawed. First, there are some people with pretty faces, which you recognise. Second, there are some others with notable characteristics (be it goat beard, big nice eyes, whatever). And last, I obviously made false positives. RL has taught me it is better to hail someone you don't know that passing by a friend.

My curious perception of myself is:
Better memory with text or numbers than faces
Always forget if I have locked my car
I have to park my car in a pretty well defined place, so that I don't have to look for it 10 hours later.

Anyway, this has more to do with my carelessness than my memory.

Kateikyoushi
October 10th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Great opera gave a pop up just when the test starts that the site tries to a cookie. T_T So I missed one person, otherwise perfect.
I am trying to find more test with numbers and words would be also intereting.

argie
October 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Better memory with text or numbers than faces
Always forget if I have locked my car
I have to park my car in a pretty well defined place, so that I don't have to look for it 10 hours later.

Those car ones are so true for me too. I once spent half an hour searching for my car at the beach. I'd parked it in one place walked down, then got into it again, and picked up a friend and came and parked it elsewhere, and then 2 hours later I kept coming back to the first place.

moleculeman
October 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Did considerably better than I expected -
95% recognition
82% temporal.

I'm dreadful with names. I worked with some people for a year before I could remember what they were called.
Pathetic, really :(

Engnome
October 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Oh my, never thought I'd do above average. Not only am I sleepy but I still (after more than 14 months) don't know all my classmates names. I guess I can when I want to.

Recognition score 95%
Temporal memory score 78%

($my_ego++; :mrgreen: )

Engnome
October 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Coolness, so I can use the "I'm sleepy" excuse for the lousy 66% score I got. Hehehe, then maybe my memory is as good as yours is Havoc.

Nope (sry for stealing your excuse (and mine))

test result page said:

recognition memory for faces is unaffected by sleep loss. A person who has not slept for as much as 35 hours can perform as well as someone who is not sleep deprived.

maniacmusician
October 11th, 2006, 03:10 AM
recognition: 95
temporal: 86

i would have done better had i known what i was looking for though.

it's really not true (or completely proven) that tired-ness doesn't affect the ability to create memories. it's true for the most part that if something significant occurs, or you see someone that really stands out, you'll remember them even if you were tired. but unless you take the time to think about what you're looking at, if you're tired, it won't make an impression on your memory at all. this is questionably true of not being tired as well, but to a lesser degree

henriquemaia
October 11th, 2006, 04:19 AM
[...] I still (after more than 14 months) don't know all my classmates names. I guess I can when I want to.
[...]

I think that's the point too. We can when we want to.

There are a lot of people I just forget, but that's probably because I didn't care enough to remember them (as opposed to the test).

plb
October 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I think that's the point too. We can when we want to.

There are a lot of people I just forget, but that's probably because I didn't care enough to remember them (as opposed to the test).

Same, I see too many people all day long to try and remember them all.

Rhubarb
October 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Nope (sry for stealing your excuse (and mine))

test result page said:

I was referring to my poor temporal memory score, I recognised 100% of the photos, just couldn't remember when.
Unfortunately I feel that if I were to resit the test, it'd be like cheating, as I'd still have a bit of a memory.
- Maybe if I hit my head against a brick wall a few times, then resit the test when I'm less sleepy my score would be better.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, as I haven't been paying that much attention to the technicalities of the test. So please ignore if you wish any of my rantings here.

slimdog360
October 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM
it never gave me an answer? but I think I had most of it right.