PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Morthane
April 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
OK, you Linux folks! It's time to get your job done!

I have been playing with the idea of using Ubuntu, but I still have yet to see the reason to use it.

A little about me:

-I am a Software Engineering major in my senior year, and do most of my code in C/C++/C#.

-I've had Red Hat (version 8 or something I think) installed on a computer for about a week until I lost interest. Other than that, I haven't done much with unix/linux, and am still pretty green to the environment

-I have a Sager NP8790 laptop with Windows XP Pro SP2, and use:
Office 2003: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Firefox

-If I'm not busy doing homework, World of Warcraft is probably running.

As I alluded to, I don't see what Ubuntu could offer me. I haven't had a virus for over 2 years, spyware is minimal (and is removed regularly), and I might get one crash a month. All my programs are free through the college or I get "free" (ohnoes!). I don't have any real complaint about my day-to-day life in Windows.

So I pose it to you: What resounding reason would there be for me to use Ubuntu, or any linux distro for that matter? Until Longhorn comes out and tells me what I can and can't do, I am so far content... :confused:

KiwiNZ
April 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM
If you are happy with Windows and it does all that you want from your PC ,I see no reason to change.
Unless you want to broaden your horizons and learn something new.

Knome_fan
April 16th, 2005, 10:32 AM
If you are happy with Windows and it does all that you want from your PC ,I see no reason to change.
Unless you want to broaden your horizons and learn something new.

What he said.
If you're happy with your current setup and " don't see what Ubuntu could offer" you, stay with your current setup and don't use Ubuntu.

erkki70
April 16th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Hi,
That's a wonderful start! ;-)

I have been playing with the idea of using Ubuntu, but I still have yet to see the reason to use it.
Shall I suggest that you should play with it instead of playing with the idea, so it would help to see reasons to use it or not...

-I am a Software Engineering major in my senior year, and do most of my code in C/C++/C#.
Great! You'll have the most fun programming custom apps for your box and maybe start an OS project...

-I've had Red Hat (version 8 or something I think) installed on a computer for about a week until I lost interest. Other than that, I haven't done much with unix/linux, and am still pretty green to the environment
Have you asked yourself why you lost interest? Once you have an answer it's good to rely on that to choose your environment.
IMHO, to be still pretty green is a good thing, keeps you fresh and far from thinking you know everything about everything...

Visual Studio .NET 2003
Firefox
Any reason why you don't mention IE6? Is Firefox your defalut browser? Have you ever tried OOo? It's a very good office suite.

Well, Ubuntu is quite a different game but...

As I alluded to, I don't see what Ubuntu could offer me. I haven't had a virus for over 2 years, spyware is minimal (and is removed regularly), and I might get one crash a month. All my programs are free through the college or I get "free" (ohnoes!). I don't have any real complaint about my day-to-day life in Windows.
Ubuntu has to offer what you want it to offer. Once the beast tamed, flexible, reliable, interoperable, control and fun are words popping around giving a wonderful enlightment to how you consider computing.
If Windows is satifying for you, why don't you just stick to it? Never change a winning team! ;-)
So you too like free!!! This is something in common with Ubuntu and GNU/Linux and Open Source! There you have already something to dig out!
There's just a difference between Free Beer and Free Speech as explained here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

So I pose it to you: What resounding reason would there be for me to use Ubuntu, or any linux distro for that matter? Until Longhorn comes out and tells me what I can and can't do, I am so far content... :confused:
Well, we barely know each other and you're asking me??? :?
It is probably much safier to wait that somebody tells you what you have to do, what you can and what you can't, things you must and musn't. Some are even ready to pay for this...
I'm sorry not to be able or willing to make a decision for anybody else than me. And I'm afraid I just cannot afford someone to do the same with me...
That is for me resounding reason, but I'm not so keen on security and I love the thrills of novelty and diversity and not taking it too seriously...

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Erkki

haquila
April 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM
why?
my value. this would be the reason now.

before when i had a lot of data to look after,
i would say that with linux it was easy to write a small shell script to make the wanted changes(but you could say that there's cygwin for that).

but at home, it's a matter of value.

i don't mind paying a bit more for a ibook(mac), but i'll become extremely fussy about buying something with a windows os in it(sorry vaio, dynabook,thinkpad).
i don't mind spending time at night reading manuals on the internet for linux, but i would never do the same for anything with a microsoft badge.

it may not be the most efficient set of values, but it's a way of life.
what i would say is, use the time you play games, to play with linux.
any distrib, but not the live CD's
try writing some programs with emacs.

(k)ubuntu
debian (sarge)

SuSE 9.3
Fedora Core 3

Leif
April 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
As others have said, if you are happy with windows, stick with it. On the other hand, if, as a Software Engineering major, you are actually interested in computer science, I'd recommend you get your hands on an OS/Unix/Linux book and see what the advantages are. I am seriously shocked at the number of people who go through CS related courses (myself included) without ever being told of the advantages of a Unix system for programming and development.

az
April 16th, 2005, 11:54 AM
GNU and the GPL.

Using free (libre) software, knowing what is going on inside your computer. Adhering to standards.

Approaching software development in the bazaar style as opposed to the cathedral (googgle Eric Raymond)

Let's not forget all the sex.

Stormy Eyes
April 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I don't care what OS you use, as long as you don't tell me what to use on my machines.

TravisNewman
April 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
It seems like every day there's a new thread where someone wants to be convinced to use Ubuntu.

Personally, I don't think it's anyone's job to convince anyone-- That's most definitely not why I'M here.

However, here's my resounding reason that you should use Ubuntu-- you took the time to learn at least a little about it, and you were interested enough to make an account on the forums and post about it. So if you're that interested, I think you've convinced yourself, but maybe you're just not ready to take the plunge? Nobody can tell you what an apple tastes like, you have to bite into it and find out. Partition, burn, install, and if you don't like it, you can just remove it, repartition, and your computer will be exactly the same. No harm no foul.

totalshredder
April 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM
It seems like every day there's a new thread where someone wants to be convinced to use Ubuntu.

Personally, I don't think it's anyone's job to convince anyone-- That's most definitely not why I'M here.

However, here's my resounding reason that you should use Ubuntu-- you took the time to learn at least a little about it, and you were interested enough to make an account on the forums and post about it. So if you're that interested, I think you've convinced yourself, but maybe you're just not ready to take the plunge? Nobody can tell you what an apple tastes like, you have to bite into it and find out. Partition, burn, install, and if you don't like it, you can just remove it, repartition, and your computer will be exactly the same. No harm no foul.
I think he just really seriously wants to know if linx can do something windows can't. He noticed ubuntu was the top distro, so he decided to see if there was anything huge he was missing out on.

And creating an acount on a forum is LIFE!! I've probably created at least 80 forum acounts in my time....

Luke

carlc
April 17th, 2005, 04:46 AM
If you are content with XP, why are you tossing around the idea of trying other os's?

escuchamezz
April 17th, 2005, 04:59 AM
why? because i'm fed up with spyware, viruses, trojans and a 4 year old OS

crane
April 17th, 2005, 05:20 AM

I did, I have fixed 3 cranes today, because my job is to fix cranes, Not to convince you what OS to use.

As far as my job with linux, I don't have one. My hobby has become linux because I enjoy it.
So you see no reason to use Ubuntu? OK Don't

Move along, nothing to see here!

Ozitraveller
April 17th, 2005, 05:49 AM

A little about me:

Visual Studio .NET 2003
Firefox

Look beyond, see the possibilities!
Shouldn't a Software Engineering look outside the square!
It's all a learning experiance afterall.

Raven-sb
April 17th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Like all the others said it's not our job to convince you of anything. Personally if I was a software engineering major I would be looking at using Linux/Unix simply because it supplies me with access to the source code and encourages me to twink the system. No other OS does the same.

kassetra
April 17th, 2005, 06:12 AM

As I alluded to, I don't see what Ubuntu could offer me. I haven't had a virus for over 2 years, spyware is minimal (and is removed regularly), and I might get one crash a month.

So I pose it to you: What resounding reason would there be for me to use Ubuntu, or any linux distro for that matter?

As others have said, it's not really our job to convince you to switch. You don't sound like you're pushing your machine to the breaking point like I was, so my reason I switched wouldn't apply to you.

Linux has many great features and applications, especially for a C/C++ programmer, but if you need to be convinced why Linux is a good choice for an OS for you, I don't think you'd be happy using Linux.

Honestly, I'd rather you be a happy Windows user than an unhappy Linux user.

For me, I got tired of the junk installs, poor uninstalls, shared file bloat, the slow downs, the temp file mess, the lack of serious control over the system, the lack of things I could tinker with... etc. I just wanted a real operating system, and not one that made decisions for me all the time.

jdonnell
April 17th, 2005, 06:27 AM
All my programs are free through the college or I get "free" (ohnoes!).

There are many reasons to use linux over windows, but I'll give you one. Let me start by saying that I am a profesional programmer. I am the lead programmer at my company and I do web development on Linux and Windows servers with asp, php, and python. You say that all your programs are free but that isn't really so. I could get from copies of visual studio and most other microsoft software from my college as well. Lets say that I took it, invested serious time becoming skilled in vb.net, ms sql server, and iis. I even started developing an application that I later decide to turn into a business. First I need to get a real server so I pick a dedicated server from a quality hosting provider. I expect some real traffic so I get a dual xeon server. Now I need to setup my software. First I need a database and I've built my application around the free ms sql server I got in college and converting to a different database would take a lot of man hours so I need ms sql server. This costs $10,000 for a dual proc server. Now I need a legit copy of VS which will cost $800. Now I decide I need some encryption in my application to make it good enough for real production use. PHP has encryption functions built in but asp doesn't so I need to pay ~$600 for a good third party package. You'll probably find that you'll need more third party packages that come standard in something like php but I won't list more. Next you realize that you really shouldn't do your coding and testing on your live server so double all those prices because you need a test server! Your "free" software you got in college just cost you ~23,000

My company fell into this trap, but we won't make that mistake again. We currently have all but one of our sites on linux, and we plan to move the last asp/windows site to linux in the future.

jerome bettis
April 17th, 2005, 07:26 AM
as a soon to be graduating CS major, i'm 100% certain that making the decision to use linux everyday instead of windows has made me a better / more efficient programmer. it really helps to understand the system you're dealing with underneath, plus the command line rocks once you learn it. ever tried the windows command line? LOL ...

after i took the course on operating systems it was clear that windows was just very poorly designed and unix made a lot more sense on every level - i don't think you could find one OS expert (those who work at MS don't count) who will argue this. plus knowing nix well is a very attractive skill. i would much rather hire a programmer with it than someone who has just been diddling around in the sheepish environment of windows their whole carrer.

i could go on and on, but i really don't care what you do. keep using windows, keep being ignorant of what's going on underneath your program, and i'll have a better chance of getting your job.