PDA

View Full Version : Firefox RC2 Install Script

avihappy
October 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I made a small install script for firefox RC2. It is a modified version of Visvak's script here (http://everythingelse.wordpress.com/2006/07/15/howto-install-firefox-20-bon-echo-in-ubuntu/).
Enjoy. PS i did not know where to put this thread, move if needed:) !
Note: you make need to give it executable ability.

I DONT KNOW HOW UPDATING WILL BE AFFECTED

If you can make an uninstall script, please do so.

UNINSTALL SCRIPT BELOW

DO NOT DOWNLOAD, SECURITY RISK YOU CANNOT UPDATE

GStubbs43
October 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=248158&highlight=howto+firefox+2
Is that basically the same thing?

avihappy
October 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=248158&highlight=howto+firefox+2
Is that basically the same thing?

No this is RC2 not Beta 2

GStubbs43
October 10th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Oh, woops, I didn't see that... I'll try it out in a second, even though I use Iceweasel instead...

JcZndeR
October 10th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Thanks!
seems to work great on my computer
doesnt fix the fact that i cant run firfox on my main account but thats another problem
;)
ite perfect on my alternate account
good well done!

GStubbs43
October 10th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Worked great, all plugins and settings etc. stayed... Great job!

Joey French
October 10th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Works well, just installed on a fresh Edgy install, left everything intact.

fuscia
October 10th, 2006, 03:27 AM
thanks. worked great.

IYY
October 10th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Awesome script, but I don't think I like the new Firefox...

The new UI is much slower and less responsive on my 1.4 GHz machine.
The new UI might look good on a Vista or KDE system, but with a warm theme like Gillouche or Human, it looks horribly out of place. Same goes for the icons. What was wrong with the beautiful Tango-ish icons we had in the old version (in fact, Tango was inspired by them)?
The new 'close tab' icon wastes space and makes it incredibly easy to close tabs by mistake. What was wrong with middle click? Who has a two-button mouse these days? And even if you do, just click both buttons at once!

Seems like they're copying Opera and IE when it comes to the UI, and I don't like it in the least bit. IceWeasel is where my hopes lie ;)

fungi
October 10th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Boo hoo, seg fault.

I get a few of these, probably because i have a pile of other crap installed :-k

gamera@sakura:~/temp$ firefox
/opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 21787 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

gamera@sakura:~/temp$ sudo /opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .

gamera@sakura:~/temp$

Edit: Seems to run fine under fresh account (Linux user, not Mozilla Pofile)

aysiu
October 10th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I agree with IYY's complaints about the close tab buttons. I know a lot of people consider that a feature, but I consider it an annoyance, and I'm glad we'll always have Firefox extensions to undo the default behaviors we don't like.

For me, it's not a matter of wasted space but a matter of convenience. With the old Firefox, I knew I could always click in one place (the top-right corner) to close the active tab. Of course, most of the time I just use Control-W, and I rarely close inactive tabs.

In any case, what's done is done. If they want to head in the direction of Opera... so be it.

avihappy
October 10th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Boo hoo, seg fault.

I get a few of these, probably because i have a pile of other crap installed :-k

gamera@sakura:~/temp$ firefox
/opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 21787 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

gamera@sakura:~/temp$ sudo /opt/firefox/run-mozilla.sh

run-mozilla.sh: Cannot execute .

gamera@sakura:~/temp$

Hmm,I dont know. Maybe someone can help you. I can't replicate it OR see a script problem, but firefox can't start due to a problem in run-mozilla.sh, try asking in the firefox forums.

Hey aysiu, i like your "The Linux Desktop Myth". And the lack of buttons was a common critisism of FF, so they added it. Guess most people don't try middle clicking ;)

visvak
October 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I've updated the script to install RC2 instead of Beta 2, could someone try it and tell if there are any probs ??

bruce89
October 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Works well, just installed on a fresh Edgy install, left everything intact.

Edgy now has Fx 2.0rc2 anyway:

firefox (1.99+2.0rc2+dfsg-0ubuntu1) edgy; urgency=low

* New upstream version 2.0rc2.
* Fix/workaround for epiphany GtkSocket lifetype crash:
apply patch id=241087 from Mozilla Bugzilla #241535 to fix LP #63814.
* Change application name to `Firefox', as requested by mdz.
Files changed:
- browser/locales/en-US/chrome/branding/brand.dtd
- browser/locales/en-US/chrome/branding/brand.properties;
New values:
- brandShortName and brandFullName: `Bon Echo' => `Firefox'
- vendorShortName: `Mozilla' => `Ubuntu'
* Make preferences dialogue fit again (bah!).

-- Ian Jackson <iwj@ubuntu.com> Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:49:32 +0100

aysiu
October 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Hey aysiu, i like your "The Linux Desktop Myth". Thanks. It took me a while to write.
And the lack of buttons was a common critisism of FF, so they added it. Guess most people don't try middle clicking ;) Yes, I know--I'm definitely fighting a losing battle on that. As long as I have extensions to fix it, it's no big deal.

TrendyDark
October 11th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Worked very well, thanks a million! :)

I agree with IYY's complaints about the close tab buttons. I know a lot of people consider that a feature, but I consider it an annoyance, and I'm glad we'll always have Firefox extensions to undo the default behaviors we don't like.

For me, it's not a matter of wasted space but a matter of convenience. With the old Firefox, I knew I could always click in one place (the top-right corner) to close the active tab. Of course, most of the time I just use Control-W, and I rarely close inactive tabs.

In any case, what's done is done. If they want to head in the direction of Opera... so be it.

I actually like the placement of the close button in the new Firefox. In other versions of Firefox I would often close the wrong tab on accident, because they all had the same universal close button.

aysiu
October 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Apparently, I'm in the minority on the close tab button.